Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Plumbing
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to repair a log lighter valve. My customer complained of no gas when log lighter valve turned on. I turned it on and gas flowed but would not shut off. When I shut down the house and took apart the log lighter valve I found it very much like a faucet stem. There is a hard nylon 0 or 00 beveled washer. It had fallen off the end of the stem and was damaged when I attempted to turn it off hard. I whittled and cajoled it back into place and screwed it down tight. The damage to the washer didn't allow it to sit nicely in the end of the stem and I am worried it won't stick. I bought an Arrowhead valve and dissected it to find the parts close but no cigar. I have searched long and hard to try to find that washer. The crawl to get to and replace that valve from under the house is not doable. I would like to find a way to rebuild this valve or replace that washer. It has been suggested by other plumbers that I could just replace the washer with a regular faucet washer, lock tite the screw and call it macaroni. Anyone with experience in this who can shed some light would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
You will need to fill in an introduction:

Are you an employee, apprentice, journeyman, business owner?
Tell us if you had to go to trade school. How long?
How many hours or steps(1/2/3/4) before you become a journeyman?
What trade certificate do you have, plumbing, gas, oil, pipe fitter etc? How did you get them, exams, courses, or free in a cracker jack box?
What about your recent jobs, describe what you actually do and what type of building : houses, high rises, commercial building, institutional, oil refineries, paper mills etc.

Tell us about you, some funny plumbing jobs and or horror stories.

Intro page :

New Member Introductions

·
Registered
Plumbing
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

What trade certificate do you have, plumbing, gas, oil, pipe fitter etc? How did you get them, exams, courses, or free in a cracker jack box?
What about your recent jobs, describe what you actually do and what type of building : houses, high rises, commercial building, institutional, oil refineries, paper mills etc.

Intro page :

New Member Introductions
Are you saying my question can't be answered without the above?

·
Registered
8,256 Posts

Not only that, the admins have been known to ban those who do not post an intro and explain themselves as being a proffesional involved in the trade of plumbing and/or hvac and their related subsets of specialties.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts

Yes an intro is required to post on the forum.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
LL valves can be repaired. However, you'll need to know the brand because parts aren't necessarily interchangeable. Is it a rising stem valve or a ball? If you are in northern CA and the valve has some age to it, it's probably a Price Pfister. However, Ferguson has sold Pro Flow valves here for a while and Sioux Chief has made one with a ball valve for some time now.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
219 Posts

Intro page :

New Member Introductions
As a new member myself I am curious about this; The DS shows as being a member since 2010, why would he need to make an intro to post a discussion?
Just trying to prevent making the same mistake myself, Don't want the wolfpack jumping on me...

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
As a new member myself I am curious about this; The DS shows as being a member since 2010, why would he need to make an intro to post a discussion?
Just trying to prevent making the same mistake myself, Don't want the wolfpack jumping on me...
No one challenged the intro back then because sometimes there weren't any mods or it got overlooked.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
219 Posts
No one challenged the intro back then because sometimes there weren't any mods or it got overlooked.
Ok, if I correctly understand your reply you are saying that 10 years ago he did not do a proper Intro? If so I can understand the recent responses. Thank you.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Ok, if I correctly understand your reply you are saying that 10 years ago he did not do a proper Intro? If so I can understand the recent responses. Thank you.
not only no intro 10 years ago , he hasnt been active at all contributing and just shows back up looking for free info...that schit dont fly..be active and info flows freely both ways...

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
not only no intro 10 years ago , he hasnt been active at all contributing and just shows back up looking for free info...that scit dont fly..be active and info flows freely both ways...

Couldn't have said it better than what SRDH wrote. (y)

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
not only no intro 10 years ago , he hasnt been active at all contributing and just shows back up looking for free info...that scit dont fly..be active and info flows freely both ways...

Then you have actual new guys like @Isaiah who thinks he can post a two sentence intro and talk back when we ask for more, so he just waits a couple days and makes a bunch of posts hoping we forgot.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Yep joined in 2010, then crickets..................... 3 discussions total.

Reactions: skoronesa
1 - 20 of 31 Posts