Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started this shower and we went with a liquid membrane shower pan. When you do this method you have to make a "divot" in the mud bed to make a water proof connection to the shower drain. That is why you see a metal pan in one of the photos. We use stucco mesh to reinforce the membrane (even though with the membrane we use it's not necessary), and use fiberglass tape of the corners. Takes 3 coats on the pan. This is not the finished product, still will have to fill the divot with pea gravel and deck mud when we install the shower grate.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
That's very cool, I'm looking into alternatives to vinal right now. But that looks much harder than what I'm doing. Is it a better product for some reason?

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Is that also known as a "kurdy" system? HO im doing a job for is doing that type of system right now. I roughed the drain in for him and that was it. Very neat method. Seems far more superior too than a vinyl pan liner.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It for sure is a better product than a PVC liner. The mud bed will never be wet and will never cause mold problems down the road. It takes alot longer to install for sure. Takes one day to install the mud bed, then it takes 48 hours before you can apply the liquid membrane. The membrane is not hard to install, but it takes at least a day to install because you have to wait between coats(about an hour).

·
Registered
863 Posts
Will, have you looked into making a fiber glass shower pan? A company I've worked for used it. they would buy the resin in 5 gallon buckets and rolls of fiberglass sheets. They would roll the resin on the shower floor and up the wall like vinyl then layer a sheet of fiberglass then resin again..The tile guy would lay his mud then tile on top..

·
Registered
863 Posts
Now is that tile ready or do they have to do mud on top of that also?

·
Registered
954 Posts
It for sure is a better product than a PVC liner. The mud bed will never be wet and will never cause mold problems down the road. It takes alot longer to install for sure. Takes one day to install the mud bed, then it takes 48 hours before you can apply the liquid membrane. The membrane is not hard to install, but it takes at least a day to install because you have to wait between coats(about an hour).
So its cost the ho a lot more money...a whole day in labor and all. :eek:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Looks great, your actually eliminating the tile guys mud install. And you don't have to worry about holes in the threshold after your liner is down.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
That's how it was originally. Home owner didn't want to bust up the floor, that's why I did the liquid membrane, otherwise I would have used Kerdi and a Kerdi Drain.
WHY oh WHY Will :cry::cry: Don't leave the Kerdi !! U know it's the BEST ! :thumb up:

I had a customer who decided to do that same method in the pics ,,,, they REALLY should have got a pro !

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WHY oh WHY Will :cry::cry: Don't leave the Kerdi !! U know it's the BEST ! :thumb up:

I had a customer who decided to do that same method in the pics ,,,, they REALLY should have got a pro !

I'm with you on the Kerdi drain, but the kerdi itself I could care less to be honest. The Liquid membrane takes hardly anymore time to install than kerdi would, it's the custom "divot", that take time. Homeowner didn't want to bust up the floor, and I will only do kerdi or liquid membrane pans, so a PVC liner was not an option. Kerdi drain is the best invention for showers of all time imo, but the kerdi membrane or liquid membrane are on par with each other imo.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New Shower Pan project we're working on. On this job we left the original base and "buffed" the tile base with a diamond grinder wheel and made a liquid pan with Aquadefense and stucco fiberglass mesh. We used a Kerdi Drain.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts