Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have the water shut off for a few years in a house, what would cause almost everything to leak upon having it turned back on? Pipes didn't burst, but almost everything leaks. City meter didn't shut off all the way, so it leaked back into system after shut off and blow out. It's like all the rubber is bad in all faucets and shut offs. It got to 32⁰ in the house at least once briefly. I monitored the temp closely just to be safe. Can this be caused by light freezing? Is this something the city should be responsible for? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
I guess I logged back on for comedy hour! Water freezes at 32°f, sure, but I never knew the freezing temperature of light! Also, serious question, when has any municipality ever claimed responsibility for property damage?

@Crapscallion Since you’re a plumber posting on a professional only forum, why not ask your master? Or even just make a call to your inspector?

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,689 Posts
If you have the water shut off for a few years in a house, what would cause almost everything to leak upon having it turned back on? Pipes didn't burst, but almost everything leaks. City meter didn't shut off all the way, so it leaked back into system after shut off and blow out. It's like all the rubber is bad in all faucets and shut offs. It got to 32⁰ in the house at least once briefly. I monitored the temp closely just to be safe. Can this be caused by light freezing? Is this something the city should be responsible for? Thanks.
yes

·
Registered
18 Posts
You cant fix stupid,, and you might as well be trying to talk sense to a Cow. (or a democrat)..

I had a DIY customer back around 2009 where we roughed in their house in
Aquapex throughout with plastic manifolds.... The water was turned on to test
the house in late August and I was told that the furnace man was coming in to install the heat
in September.....

So The water was left on so they could have water in the place ,
and just by chance in early jan we get a call from the customer
telling us they want to know how far out we were to do the finish??....

Then the lady tells me that they had a falling out with their furnace man and he never got the heat
on in the home.. :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :oops: ..
I about crapped my self and asked her how were they heating the
home with the water still on....?? They had not been out to the house in a month or two
and I told her she better go over there and shut off the water..... and she could not understand why??
I about lost it and asked her how dam stupid she and her husband were and then asked her if
seriously , were they joking??

She gets to the house and by some act of god the water had burst in the copper stub outs for the
water heater in the mechanical room FIRST and somehow the Aquapex that was insulated in all the
walls with FOAM insulation had not burst.... Water had been pouring out everywhere and a lot
of water damage was done to all the floor boarding.....

I came out and thawed out the home with a salamander and made repairs to what I could see and somehow by
gods grace nothing buried in those foam walls ever leaked.......I charged them heavily to teach them a lesson

I never went back on the finish, somehow they felt I should have explained to them that
water freezes in the winter time when you dont have heat in your house....

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Terrys thankful he’s not as stupid as you.
I believe the word you're looking for is ignorant. Ignorant means
lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular thing.
"they were ignorant of plumbing".
Might be why I'm asking questions and trying to learn. Sometimes voice to text let's use all down by putting light instead of lite, but for those of us that had a little too much lead in their water pipes growing up, they lack the ability to translate these minor grammatical errors and get to replace things like"having friends" with desperately trying to feel superior on plumbing forums. These people also refer to themselves in the third person. This is known as illeism, and a primary marker of narcissism, but it's also a sign of a general lack of over all intelligence. Or in terms you might have a chance of understanding, as I'm sure you've heard this many times in your life, stupid. 😆 It's known that a hard freeze is one that drops well below 32⁰, and lasts longer than the 6 hours required to burst pipes. My "lite" freeze hit 32⁰ for a short time less than 6 hours, so I thought I'd ask a forum full of people that might know a little about the subject. The pipes didn't burst, but could their have been some damage from the city meter not shutting off? If you can't manage helping, maybe just spend your time studying politics so you might finally learn something, and pray science finds a way to reverse what your obvious lead ingestion has done. If this post was anyone's idea of comedy, they must be a real hit at parties. How's Don Johnald Trump working out for you? 😂

·
Registered
Plumbing
1,274 Posts
Might be why I'm asking questions and trying to learn. Sometimes voice to text let's use all down by putting light instead of lite, but for those of us that had a little too much lead in their water pipes growing up, they lack the ability to translate these minor grammatical errors and get to replace things like"having friends" with desperately trying to feel superior on plumbing forums. These people also refer to themselves in the third person. This is known as illeism, and a primary marker of narcissism, but it's also a sign of a general lack of over all intelligence. Or in terms you might have a chance of understanding, as I'm sure you've heard this many times in your life, stupid. 😆 It's known that a hard freeze is one that drops well below 32⁰, and lasts longer than the 6 hours required to burst pipes. My "lite" freeze hit 32⁰ for a short time less than 6 hours, so I thought I'd ask a forum full of people that might know a little about the subject. The pipes didn't burst, but could their have been some damage from the city meter not shutting off? If you can't manage helping, maybe just spend your time studying politics so you might finally learn something, and pray science finds a way to reverse what your obvious lead ingestion has done. If this post was anyone's idea of comedy, they must be a real hit at parties. How's Don Johnald Trump working out for you? 😂
You’re stupid. This forum is for professionals only and you were notified but signed up anyway and posted. You’re stupid.

·
Registered
18 Posts

You had a freeze... and you really cannot control this situation unless you drained all the pipes in the
home and made sure the water was 100% off....
and for all you know the copper pipes have slightly swelled up due to the freeze which you cannot prove or disprove
that this was just a one time occurrence over the winter ----unless you are down in deep Florida...

all my customers I tell to leave the heat on low when they go to florida for the winter and shut off the
water at the meter and open up the outside faucets and drain down the house as best possible and
then they have a fighting chance it will not damage the home ...

Many dont want to gamble on this and pay me
$350 to come out and winterize the house with an air compressor and pink antifreeze...

you simply made a mistake that I dont think you will do again... and no one knows for sure
how much its gonna cost you and maybe you will get lucky but it dont sound good

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You’re stupid. This forum is for professionals only and you were notified but signed up anyway and posted. You’re stupid.
Those little round band-aids are the perfect size and shape for your hurt butthole. Maybe a little ointment would help also, but don't forget to wash your hands after. You forgot to speak of yourself in the 3rd person that time. Go try and make a friend, and have a great holiday weekend by yourself, 😂

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those little round band-aids are the perfect size and shape for your hurt butthole. Maybe a little ointment would help also, but don't forget to wash your hands after. You forgot to speak of yourself in the 3rd person that time. Go try and make a friend, and have a great holiday weekend by yourself, 😂
TerryTotoSucks Terry, I think you made a life long friend here...

you have a gift, I guess..

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You had a freeze... and you really cannot control this situation unless you drained all the pipes in the
and for all you know the copper pipes have slightly swelled up due to the freeze which you cannot prove or disprove
that this was just a one time occurrence over the winter ----unless you are down in deep Florida...

all my customers I tell to leave the heat on low when they go to florida for the winter and shut off the
water at the meter and open up the outside faucets and drain down the house as best possible and

$350 to come out and winterize the house with an air compressor and pink antifreeze...

you simply made a mistake that I dont think you will do again... and no one knows for sure
Thank you, master plumber Mark. I didn't put antifreeze, but did blow it all out. I wonder if there would have been some back flow into the drinking water had I used antifreeze. Never would've guessed the meter would not have shut off all the way when I had the service shut off, but I certainly know now. At least they were quick to come replace it once I had it turned back on and told them. I was able to fix almost all of it using my late father's spare parts luckily. He's gone now, or I'd have just asked him. Really appreciate your response. Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
Plumbing
1,274 Posts
Terry likes it when you talk about his butt

·
Super Moderator
12,634 Posts
You cant fix stupid,, and you might as well be trying to talk sense to a Cow. (or a democrat)..

I had a DIY customer back around 2009 where we roughed in their house in
Aquapex throughout with plastic manifolds.... The water was turned on to test
the house in late August and I was told that the furnace man was coming in to install the heat
in September.....

So The water was left on so they could have water in the place ,
and just by chance in early jan we get a call from the customer
telling us they want to know how far out we were to do the finish??....

Then the lady tells me that they had a falling out with their furnace man and he never got the heat
on in the home.. :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :oops: ..
I about crapped my self and asked her how were they heating the
home with the water still on....?? They had not been out to the house in a month or two
and I told her she better go over there and shut off the water..... and she could not understand why??
I about lost it and asked her how dam stupid she and her husband were and then asked her if
seriously , were they joking??

She gets to the house and by some act of god the water had burst in the copper stub outs for the
water heater in the mechanical room FIRST and somehow the Aquapex that was insulated in all the
walls with FOAM insulation had not burst.... Water had been pouring out everywhere and a lot
of water damage was done to all the floor boarding.....

I came out and thawed out the home with a salamander and made repairs to what I could see and somehow by
gods grace nothing buried in those foam walls ever leaked.......I charged them heavily to teach them a lesson

I never went back on the finish, somehow they felt I should have explained to them that
water freezes in the winter time when you dont have heat in your house....

Absolutely Mark its all your fault.....LOL

:ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
12,634 Posts

$350.00 is more than reasonable to winterize their home which is worth $100,000's of dollars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts