Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
I Married Up
16,933 Posts
Handy hacks could say all the above about plumbers who replace drywall/tile floors ect. It's a two way street. That being said I get pissed too when I see a half assed job of any sort that was done by a hack

Sent from my iPhone using PlumbingZone
Two way street except for this one extremely minor detail...

No one dies when the drywall is sloppy and the grout falls out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You need to have many years of experience before you know what you are doing . Imagine a beginner getting a cable stuck . He would have to just leave it there .
How would he know how to go about getting it out .
Its cheaper in the long run to go with someone with tons of experience and with tons of experience they will be licence'd .

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ya'll are talking like I am speaking of starting a business.

I'm simply planning to work for a company in another state.

If I get to a job and something on the plumbing side of things needs to be repaired, I just call into the office and have a plumber sent out. Which is the exact same thing I do working for the company I am at now.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You need to have many years of experience before you know what you are doing . Imagine a beginner getting a cable stuck . He would have to just leave it there .
How would he know how to go about getting it out .
Its cheaper in the long run to go with someone with tons of experience and with tons of experience they will be licence'd .
One of the guys I work with has been doing drain cleaning for 34 years - is not licensed.

He's hardly unique, quite a few other guys I know have been doing it for 20-30 years and are not licensed.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Here in Alabama a plumber working for another company is not licensed ,he is certified. We have a state wide certification system .
To be a plumber you are given, yep given an apprentist card. Then the work and study starts, to get the journeyman you have to pass a test { non union no time limit .same test) Then the masters, its also a test!! a smart guy can slip thru the system in a few years if he or she can pass the tests. Now the license, you have to have your masters card in plumbing and gas (if you want to put in water heaters){also bonds and insurance} to buy a LICENSE to work. the catch is every small town, county and most any place that is incorporated can get you for a license .in my 3 county area we once counted over 90 licenses just to be legal.Most of the small one man band shops get their masters in plumbing and gas, get the state certification card, then a license for their home county and biggest towns in their work areas and when they get caught in a small area that they are not licensed they PAY THE PIPER!
! As most of you guys know ,we live in a RIP OFF state no one could really be legal to run a state wide business without a (wheew) whole hell of a stack of licenses. However if you have a JM or Master {certification) card you can work anywhere in the state for the other guy. To get a license to JUST clean drains its the same as selling peanuts just a vendors license go figure!! I retired my gas and master plumber card in 2010 but to go back to work I simply pay 1 yrs dues and go for it but it aint happening Im done

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Here in Alabama a plumber working for another company is not licensed ,he is certified. We have a state wide certification system .
To be a plumber you are given, yep given an apprentist card. Then the work and study starts, to get the journeyman you have to pass a test { non union no time limit .same test) Then the masters, its also a test!! a smart guy can slip thru the system in a few years if he or she can pass the tests. Now the license, you have to have your masters card in plumbing and gas (if you want to put in water heaters){also bonds and insurance} to buy a LICENSE to work. the catch is every small town, county and most any place that is incorporated can get you for a license .in my 3 county area we once counted over 90 licenses just to be legal.Most of the small one man band shops get their masters in plumbing and gas, get the state certification card, then a license for their home county and biggest towns in their work areas and when they get caught in a small area that they are not licensed they PAY THE PIPER!
Okay. I just checked "Alabama" off "potential places to move" to, now and forever :) That sounds like a giant cluster****.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
There are no license requirements for sewer and drain cleaners in New York state and that's unfortunate. We have a lot of hacks and jack of all trade types here. Even worse, the large "rooter" companies are very dishonest and take people for hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars for simple stoppages. I'd be all for a licensing requirement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Miami Florida drain cleaning licencing?

Does anyone know if you need a drain cleaning licence to clean drains in Miami Florida? I keep getting the run a round from county personal here! One day you call and its a yes! next day you call and its a NO!this is crazy!!:furious:

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Does anyone know if you need a drain cleaning licence to clean drains in Miami Florida? I keep getting the run a round from county personal here! One day you call and its a yes! next day you call and its a NO!this is crazy!!:furious:
I don't know or maybe I do but what I really know for sure is that any new member need to post an intro first.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts

First, please post an intro in the introduction section,

Second, yes, the state of FL has ruled that a plumbing license is required to engage in drain cleaning and video camera inspections of drain and sewer lines. A declaratory statement was issued by the Dept. of Business and Professional Regulation. A declaratory statement is equal to state statute.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
is working in florida like being there on vacation? i love it there. my brother is going to long boat key tomorrow. my parents went to spain today. i need a vacation. going to the cabin this weekend setting up for deer hunting just isnt the same.:no: going to long boat next year, i hope if my a hole boss(me) lets me:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/cilb/documents/cilb_declaratory_statements.pdf

Even though you haven't demonstrated that you are a plumber who is engaged in the plumbing profession, I have answered your inquiry since it is in the best interest of other licensed professional plumbers in Florida for me to educate you with regard to your question. I have posted a link from the Dept. of Business and Professional Regulation which specifically answers you.

Forget what the city of Miami is telling you. If the DBPR issues a ruling in the form of a declaratory statement, it supersedes any local governing body's authority.

Scroll down to page {8} and read the box 'plumbing fixtures.'

·
Banned
3 Posts
If someone isn't licence'd they wont be insured either .
How the hell could you say that I’m not licensed I live in New Jersey and I’ve been a subcontractor for 30 years and I have insurance and I pay each and every month so you should shut your mouth on that Don’t assume when you assume you get in trouble

·
Super Moderator
11,270 Posts
How the hell could you say that I’m not licensed I live in New Jersey and I’ve been a subcontractor for 30 years and I have insurance and I pay each and every month so you should shut your mouth on that Don’t assume when you assume you get in trouble
That’s not a very good intro. And why would you quote someone who hasn’t been on the site in six years?

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,356 Posts
Wow.. WTF,
nobody said anything about YOU Dog,
you have one post, and youre jumping down the throat of someone that replied to a thread 9 YEARS ago, and hasn’t been on this site in 6 YEARS.
Calm down, tough guy.

Do you have ANY kind of valid plumbing/drain license? Cuz your anger and post reads like you DON’T.

Just living in NJ and being a subcontractor doesn’t mean you have any kind of plumbing or drain license, regardless of how long you’ve been living/working there as a handyman.
If that’s the case you’re not welcome here, this is a site for Professional Plumbers ONLY. See links in the last post.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts