Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a guy shows up from out-of-State to your State Plumbing Board looking for his Master's License but cannot prove his 4-years as an Apprentice and 4-years as a Journeyman because he did not maintain any records would your State still license him?

California now requires W-2 Forms as proof which has left a lot of guys who have worked under the table out of luck.

Mark

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
California now requires W-2 Forms as proof which has left a lot of guys who have worked under the table out of luck.
I'm sorry to hear about it...
The rest of us that played legit...
Well lets just shead a tear for them...:whistling2:
Sorry couldn't do it....

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

Mark

is this just for out of state applicants? i wasn't required to submit any W-2's to get my C-36 license here. only work experience forms.

paul

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My understanding is it is all Contractors and it just recently started. I feel it is a great idea as there are too many guys out there collecting letters from their buddies to prove qualifications.

Mark

·
Banned
913 Posts
. . . California now requires W-2 Forms as proof which has left a lot of guys who have worked under the table out of luck.
Mark
Hmmm. I guess those working under the table, paying little to no taxes, would fall into Obamas category of the poor schmucks not making enough in wages, so let's give the poor guy more. Hmmm . . .

Finally CA does something right in requiring W-2 forms as proof. I guess there really is hope! :thumbup:

·
Registered
584 Posts
We have to prove we worked x number of hours with W2s. You then need 2 plumbers to sign off saying you know what you're doing. My question is who do you ask to sign for you? I know a lot of guys would refuse to sign for their employees because they don't want the competition or to loose the employee.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
We have to prove we worked x number of hours with W2s. You then need 2 plumbers to sign off saying you know what you're doing. My question is who do you ask to sign for you? I know a lot of guys would refuse to sign for their employees because they don't want the competition or to loose the employee.
Here, they just have to sign for the hours. The TEST is for proving your competence. They are required to sign by law, as long as you have the experience they can't just ignore you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
No documentation, no license, no test. Go back to the beginning and start all over again.
i don't know how it works anywhere else but when i was doing my apprentiship, i had a hours book that i never lost. each different journeyman that i worked with initialed it for me no problem.

i'm sure if somebody wanted to get around the system regarding hours it wouldn't be terribly difficult to do, at least up here.

we have something up called "housing maintainers". i think they go through a 3 month course and walla, your a certified housing maintainer.

basically a oil burner mechanic that paints, plumbs, carpentry, some electrical, etc.

i honestly don't know who the brainiak was to come up with that money saving idea, but i can say it's not working.

as usual though, we are for the most part a reactive society. somebody is going to have to either get mained or die before they notice the failure/fault(s) in the system.

i beginning to think that plumbers are the only ones with their sh!t together.

is this the next step in plumbing knighthood?

or did i take too much of my medication again?:blink:

Vince:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here in the UK

Here in the UK you need quite a few requirements to get a license:

• Plumbing Level 2 Technical Certificate - C&G 6129-02
  • Domestic Copper Pipework Installation - C&G 6022
  • Sanitary Accommodation Installation Maintenance and Design - C&G 6032
  • Water Supply Regulations 1999
  • Design Installation and Maintenance of Power and Gravity Fed Shower Systems
  • Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems
  • Domestic Electrical Installer Defined Scope Part P Certificate
  • CSCS Site Safety Card
  • Appointed Persons First Aid Certificate
without that don't even think of applying for a license.

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
I could break down the entire schooling aspect too if I wanted.
Blueprint reading
Boilers
Private sewage
Private water supply

etc
etc
etc
It all boils down to,

If you want to be a plumber you need to complete the apprenticeship and pass the schooling. 1500 hours a year experience for 4 years. Go to school 2 months a year and pass with 70%. Pass your anniversary dates.
Then write the Provincial exam. The Red seal exam is optional. It allows you to work anywhere in Canada except Queerbeck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts