Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a repair on one today, was simple to take apart and easy to replace the 1/4 turn cartridge in it, anyone else get to fix these yet?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is what they look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't scare me, I just started installing them this year. No problems yet (knock on wood) Like any other ceramic disc cartridge, control the pressure (regulation, thermal expansion) and they will last.

It's hard to tell a customer their leaking hose bibb is caused by a few hundred bucks but it will save you a recall and get you referrals. Especially when you throw in the comments like "have you fixed a toilet lately? Or, dripping faucet? THAT'S where the pressure has been going." Seriously Ron, address their pressure issue.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't scare me, I just started installing them this year. No problems yet (knock on wood) Like any other ceramic disc cartridge, control the pressure (regulation, thermal expansion) and they will last.

It's hard to tell a customer their leaking hose bibb is caused by a few hundred bucks but it will save you a recall and get you referrals. Especially when you throw in the comments like "have you fixed a toilet lately? Or, dripping faucet? THAT'S where the pressure has been going." Seriously Ron, address their pressure issue.
Not a pressure issue, probably cause by cold temps we had. I don't install this brand anyways, I use woodford, it was just cheaper to fix it with an $8 part. Not saying there no good, just saying there simple to fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not a pressure issue, probably cause by cold temps we had. I don't install this brand anyways, I use woodford, it was just cheaper to fix it with an $8 part. Not saying there no good, just saying there simple to fix.

Cold temps won't affect the cartridge. I only started using them this year because of all the problems with Woodford. Sloped more than they spec with no hose connected in the winter months and they STILL split. Why are they the only manufacturer to offer a relief valve? Because of their piss poor design. It helped to remove their "back check", but not totally.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You mean the vacuum breaker on the top of them? It prevent contamination back into the water supply, required on all hosebibs here.

They split cause who ever installed them did not install them correctly, they need a slight pitch on them so water won't stay trapped in it.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
You mean the vacuum breaker on the top of them? It prevent contamination back into the water supply, required on all hosebibs here.

They split cause who ever installed them did not install them correctly, they need a slight pitch on them so water won't stay trapped in it.
Thank you Ron!
Not only that, but the HO must remove the hose!

Vaccume breakers are code required here as well

·
Registered
21 Posts
No, the stupid little washer mounted on the stem internally near the seat.

And slope or no slope, hose or no hose. Woodford. Split.

Ron, do you do service? AND, installs? Don't take that the wrong way, just curious.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do it all, why do you ask? I don't have a problem with woodford, if a problem happen on the stem assembly I just swap stems the the same from a new one. Fixes the problem every time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
And when I said stupid little washer, I wasn' talking about the bibb washer. There is a bonnet style washer on the stem, (back check, yea, lol..)

Back checking what? The vac breaker? Rediculous.

Lets overly protect everone so noone can afford any protection.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why are they the only manufacturer to offer a relief valve? Because of their piss poor design. It helped to remove their "back check", but not totally.
Where do you say washer. You mentioned nothing of a washer till after this post after you said this, did I miss something?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never asked for help, take what, I don't have a problem with legend, was only asking if anyone else has had to fix one, there a good faucet and easy to fix if it does leak, nothing last forever.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
This thread TOTALLY lost me ! WTF are we figuring out ??

Cal

1 - 20 of 20 Posts