Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Home two years old, homeowner noticed a drip in his mechanical room coming from this hot 3/4" pex run. This line was STRAIGHT, not kinked or stressed out. Water pressure -60 lbs. At first inspection looks like a leaking crimp ring. It was a slow drip. After cutting this fitting out, the tee broke off in hand. Ive read about the lawsuit but this is the first fitting we have seen like this! Scary to think about, the home could have flooded at any time! How many of you have seen this?

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I use Viega, fittings are bronze, not brass as show in your pictures. But... that one doesn't look like a total dezinc break down. There's been lot's of press about illegal brass fittings, all over ebay with no certification. Just a good example of why you should only use quality materials.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It was probably a typo. It looks to be a 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" tee.

A couple of years ago I was installing a water heater in a newer manufactured (mobile) home. After I finished and turned the water on, I heard water running under the home. I crawled under the house and found a tee in the cold water line had sheared off exactly like in your picture. The PEX piping said Tuff-PEX by Uponor on it, and was joined together using brass fittings with the Oetiker clamps on it. That's the only brass PEX fitting failure I have seen.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Scary. I'll have to check again what we use. The only problem we've had is the drop ear 90 splitting one month later because a nipple was either tightened too tight or they used that thicker teflon tape without regard to amount. Florida has a 12 year liability for errors and omissions.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
It is the velocity of the water flowing through the fitting, a plumber I work with went to a code update class for his CE hours, and has learned that at 80 psi or higher pressure is causing the failure if the fitting/s, this meaning if the pressure is at 80 a prv is needed, this is always the case is far as code in concerned, I guess water moves much faster though pex then though other material. Thats all the details I have about it.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I don't see how the pressure would cause it unless the system was at the edge of it's flow limits and the extra flow being pushed thru the fixtures put the flow over the design limits.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
What part of fl are you at?

Scary. I'll have to check again what we use. The only problem we've had is the drop ear 90 splitting one month later because a nipple was either tightened too tight or they used that thicker teflon tape without regard to amount. Florida has a 12 year liability for errors and omissions.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Flow rates do change from pex to copper, PEX is 8fps and Copper is 4-5fps.

Before you can discount this manufacturer (although i must say i would never touch that brand) you would have to test the water at that location. Water hardness can dramatically affect the lifetime of those cheaper brass fittings.

At the risk of offending SOME of the old school plumbers and Union guys, maybe even COPPER piping would have failed in this situation.. haha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The home was on well water, with no conditioning so I suppose that could be a problem like some of you mentioned.. But still.. 2 years old??

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
You know what's wierd is, it looks like it's being leached from the OUTSIDE instead of the inside. The inside looks good but the outside apears to be sweating zinc.
I wondered that myself Protech. It looks like it just broke to me.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts