Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have question for all you Plumbers across the Country, I've been plumbing 20 plus years now and in Florida. I've come across a lot of crazy stuff and done countless re-pipes from hotels,Country Clubs, hospitals and schools but, i've never come across removing any lead pipes for drinking water. Have any of you recently experienced this, especially in schools.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
293 Posts
I have question for all you Plumbers across the Country, I've been plumbing 20 plus years now and in Florida. I've come across a lot of crazy stuff and done countless re-pipes from hotels,Country Clubs, hospitals and schools but, i've never come across removing any lead pipes for drinking water. Have any of you recently experienced this, especially in schools.
Seems kind of off topic for this thread

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
We just notify the homeowner and usually end up leaving the lead pipes in if they're fine. You just use lead-loc fittings. The water is so hard around here doesn't matter what kind of pipe you have, it all gets cement lined so very little issue.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It wasn't that long ago that I was an Apprentice and we were still taught how to wipe a lead joint.

·
Super Moderator
8,857 Posts
remove and replace, melt the lead into bullets
A friend of mine is big into muskets and casts his own bullets. Been a few years since I’ve talked to him about it, so I don’t know if that lead will work.... I remember something about tin in the lead. IDR which is good or bad, or if he has to add something to it.... I’ll have to ask him next time I see him.

·
Super Moderator
8,857 Posts
We had a lot of lead service lines in my area. Probably 5 years ago or so the municipality claimed that all the lead lines had been replaced. Nope. Maybe residential... not commercial.
I haven’t come across any lead water lines in a home, but I still see lead flanges, drum traps and the occasional lav line. Not common much anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts