Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted these on another forum and decided to pop them up here as well.
I did this work yesterday, a CI stack added in place of a PVC stack.
The prior HO added to install a laundry in a basement...it's illegal to install PVC under CI here.
I decided to pack & pour a lead/oakum joint at the base rather than cut out the hub and clamp it.
I know many states don't see lead & oakum joints, so I figured it might be cool to show one...

First pic is right before the pour
Second rifght after pouring/packing
Third is the finished stack with C/O on bottom, 4"x2" tee-wye, then a 4"x3" wye at the top for a bath addition upsstairs.

Attachments

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Mark, Great job, first of all!!! I like the pour, very clean.

Now, a question.... there looks like enough verticle pipe out of the slab to grind the hub off and use one of those fancy dancy 4 band no hubs you have there. Or am I wrong, and there was no space, so you had to pour the joint?

By the way, clean work, I like the use of those heavy duty no hub bands, I may be changing my preference. :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spider, no-hub

Robert, there was plenty of room if I were to grind it out, but tight fit for the grinder.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Cool stuff and clean, looks good. The only time I packed and poured a joint was when I took my state test:yes:.
I would like to find a set of packing tools somewhere to have.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Cool stuff and clean, looks good. The only time I packed and poured a joint was when I took my state test:yes:.
I would like to find a set of packing tools somewhere to have.

In Christ,

Song Dog
If you can't find a yarning and packing iron where you are I can get them here and send em to you, every supply house here stocks them, and those two irons are all you need for most joints.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
That is awesome! How much do they run? I may have you do that.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I've poured one lead joint on an old closet flange. Didn't come out nearly as clean as that, but I was extatic to actually get to learn to do that! Nice joint!

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is a really nice, clean pour. Thats one to be proud of. I've only pulled them apart.
jeffc

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, thanks to all of ya for the compliments.:thumbup:

·
Master Plumber
76 Posts
Killer,
I need a joint runner to do 4'' thru 6''.
Can't find one here, I do have all the irons and lattle.
If you can help it would be great.
Thank You,
Ken

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
I had all 3 of them, inside, outside, and yarning iron, but after i took the ky journeyman tests, they became chisels, punches and what-not, lol.

I paid $45 for them. They came from Jones-Stephens. . a good place for plumbing supplies, but you have to be a whole-seller to get anything directly from them.

But yea, that's a dandy looking lead joint, too bad it still needs caulked though, lol, mess the pretty bead up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grumpy's Lead/oakum joint

Very nice and clean pour :thumbup:!
L&O joints are not used much in Indiana anymore :no: - it's a lost art.
Glad to see someone still pouring a quality joint - keep up the good work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts