Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Credit card got hacked.
Makes me second guess all this online shopping.
Paranoid about work van break ins, cedit card scam the CRA just got hacked...everybody wants are $hit
You need to use paypal. I have been using it for years and it's helped everytime I needed it to. It's very useful for more than just ebay. Paypal withholds the funds for long enough that if there are issues you file a case and get a refund. I'm not even sure how someone would successfully use you paypal without you knowing either since it would alert you to new logins and prevents access from ip addresses that aren't verified as being the ones you use.

One of the best ways to stop people from "hacking" into your online profiles is to use completely different passwords on each site/profile and make them long. Write those passwords on a piece of paper and keep it locked up at home.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Credit card got hacked.
Paranoid about work van break ins, cedit card scam the CRA just got hacked...everybody wants are $hit
no biggie, my CC has been hacked or used many times, just call CC company and they issue a new card and you are NOT responsible for any fraudulent uses...online shopping is great I buy 80% online and save a ton of $$ so its worth the once in a while CC BS, and if you have several CC then just switch to the next till the hacked one is replaced...pay pal is ok, but if you have a balance of cash from selling online you risk that being hacked and taken...
besides on my CC I get back 2% on every purchase you payoff at the end of the CC month...I dont carry a balance so everything I buy online with a CC is discounted 2% and I just apply that to the next months balance..

·
canuckPlumBbob
874 Posts
Credit card got hacked.
no biggie, my CC has been hacked or used many times, just call CC company and they issue a new card and you are NOT responsible for any fraudulent uses...online shopping is great I buy 80% online and save a ton of $$ so its worth the once in a while CC BS, and if you have several CC then just switch to the next till the hacked one is replaced...pay pal is ok, but if you have a balance of cash from selling online you risk that being hacked and taken...
besides on my CC I get back 2% on every purchase you payoff at the end of the CC month...I dont carry a balance so everything I buy online with a CC is discounted 2% and I just apply that to the next months balance..
Man, what got me was i got my statement in the mail 2 days ago an saw $2,548 charge to it from an ikea in quebec. Then it showed the 2548 was put back into my account. It was dates july 27.
So i called the cc company told me it was compramised and there was a note for it innthe fraud department and they will send me a new one.
So i said to the guy this happend almost a month ago, why didnt you guys call me ? Lol basically just said are bad sorry guy.

I never really did any online shopping untill about 2 years ago, i just did my first e-transfer yesterday and i didnt get an email address untill 2013 lmao. Needless to say im a bit behind with todays tech.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Man, what got me was i got my statement in the mail 2 days ago an saw $2,548 charge to it from an ikea in quebec. Then it showed the 2548 was put back into my account. It was dates july 27.
So i called the cc company told me it was compramised and there was a note for it innthe fraud department and they will send me a new one.
So i said to the guy this happend almost a month ago, why didnt you guys call me ? Lol basically just said are bad sorry guy.

I never really did any online shopping untill about 2 years ago, i just did my first e-transfer yesterday and i didnt get an email address untill 2013 lmao. Needless to say im a bit behind with todays tech.

At least you got your money back. They definitely should have called but the alternative is some companies who wouldn't give you the money back right away and would wait for you to call them so I would count yourself lucky.

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
Reactions: skoronesa

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
only wusses buy something to help load magazines...LOL...if you cant push the round down then you cant pull the trigger...

Just faster, us Old Dudes are getting slower. Besides all my callouses are worn off........:gunsmilie:

·
Super Moderator
12,497 Posts

Go to your bank's website and enable "notifications." That way, the bank will notify you of any suspicious activity. You can get e-mail notifications or text messages.

My bank sends me text messages if they suspect something fishy. The text will say for example, "Are you trying to purchase $500 worth of camera equipment in London?"
"Text 1 for yes or text 2 for no."

·
canuckPlumBbob
874 Posts

Go to your bank's website and enable "notifications." That way, the bank will notify you of any suspicious activity. You can get e-mail notifications or text messages.

My bank sends me text messages if they suspect something fishy. The text will say for example, "Are you trying to purchase $500 worth of camera equipment in London?"
"Text 1 for yes or text 2 for no."
Never knew that, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,497 Posts
Never knew that, thanks.

You're welcome. It's actually "Alerts" at my bank's website. I just checked. Sorry for any confusion.

They send me a text message every Friday with my available bank balances. For my business account and the personal account. But I can have an alert sent daily if I want. I also have a transfer limit of like $1000 on any given day. So when I transfer a paycheck from the business acct. to the personal acct., I get a text message for that too.

·
Banned
Plumber, Pipe Fitter, General Gas Fitter, Oil burner Mechanic Plus more Certificates
421 Posts
Scotia you can set it up for all your cards debit too. It comes straight to your phone. TD is the same. I think they all do it you just log into your account and enable notifications.
I used it for debit cards I gave to guys working for me. If they made a purchase I knew in minutes, where they used it. If it wasn't business their pay was deducted for the amount.
Had to give them something we worked so far from suppliers they needed something for the local hardware or Coop.
:smile::smile:

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Scotia you can set it up for all your cards debit too. It comes straight to your phone. TD is the same. I think they all do it you just log into your account and enable notifications.
I used it for debit cards I gave to guys working for me. If they made a purchase I knew in minutes, where they used it. If it wasn't business their pay was deducted for the amount.
Had to give them something we worked so far from suppliers they needed something for the local hardware or Coop.
:smile::smile:
if you give out cards, they should be prepaid gift cards with a spending limit, so 1 day when a guy is going to quit he doesnt spend thousands....and you have the headache of chasing him down and trying to get back $$$..just load the gift cards with $100.00 so thats the worse you will lose if all goes south..all major credit cards have them..

·
Banned
Plumber, Pipe Fitter, General Gas Fitter, Oil burner Mechanic Plus more Certificates
421 Posts
if you give out cards, they should be prepaid gift cards with a spending limit, so 1 day when a guy is going to quit he doesnt spend thousands....and you have the headache of chasing him down and trying to get back $$$..just load the gift cards with $100.00 so thats the worse you will lose if all goes south..all major credit cards have them..
Sht

That's why I did it with Debit cards I could setup the Daily limit at $100.00. They signed a form allowing me to deduct non business purchases from their pay.

You have to trust people a certain amount. Back in in the late eighties and early nineties I managed for companies. I carried company cards with $70,000.00 limits on them. They treated me the same then, personal spending came out of my pay.
:wink::wink:

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Not Amazon, and not drunk, but you would think I was! $22 from the hvac supply house. Fricking awesome though!

Yeah, until you lose that bit! Some of our heating guys have those and they lose them occasionally. Pretty sure they just charge them to their vans though lolz.

I just keep a 5/16" in my impact and then I have some bits in my left pocket but in my lighter pocket I have a 3/8" and a t25 so I can always easily get them.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
61 - 80 of 86 Posts