Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know why stepladders aren't supposed to be leaned up against something. I was on the 2nd step of a 6' step ladder, leaning up against a machine at a factory. It pushed away from the machine. I fell and landed on my feet, but I BARKED my right shin off the step, both my triceps are bruised from blasting off the machine and my left elbow took a kill shot:cry: The whole day, the phrase OSHA ladder safety kept running thru my mind. I knew I was doing something wrong, but didn't stop to think out a better way:furious: so, for New Year's Eve, my 45 year old body is aching and paining, while that little voice sez, "I told ya."

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Watch those ladders! I fell about 32 feet from an extensin ladder once installing siding. Like an idiot I only had 2 pieces left and tried to reach up. The bottom of the ladder kicked out and I came down holding the ladder! When I hit the ground I was still holding on. Had rung marks from my forhead to my feet! Man that left a mark!

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about a hot cup of coffee, a loving wife and two wii playing boys? That's my evening. When my wife told the boys that I got hurt at work, the little guy freaked and asked if I was dead. When I came home, he hugged and kissed me, and told me he was glad I didn't die. Then he had to look at my "oowies," touch them and asked if it hurt. He was so cute that I just grit my teeth, and told him, "yes, it hurts."

·
Banned
383 Posts
that sounds better than the best single malt 20 year old scotch anyday. glad your ok. hey where about is your corner of ill.

·
Banned
383 Posts
coming from the guy who via the magic of tech. has put his son in every work van picture on this site is going to put good scotch over the love of his child, i think not sir.:laughing:

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I fell off the 2nd step of a 6' foot ladder 4-years ago. Several surgeries and a new complete knee later all I have left of the accident is a frozen right shoulder and a screwed up right leg. Don't under estimate simple accidents as they can be life altering.

Good luck - Mark

·
Registered
584 Posts
I hate high places. I'm fine up to 10' or so but I've never been comfortable on roofs or extension ladders. About a year ago I did the same thing as you and fortunately I wasn't hurt. We were demoing a bunch of copper waste lines and I was moving an A frame ladder down the hall leaning it on the wall cutting pieces. Well I was going a little too fast and didn't take as much care as I should have setting up the ladder, next thing I knew I was on the floor with a reciprocating saw next to me.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I thought about you the other day Jeff. I leaned my 8' ladder against a wall while the legs were sitting on 6 mil plastic on the floor.

Thought twice and set the ladder up correctly and up I went.

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
I remember back in my apprentice days. Another crew came to helpl on our house (slow seek I guess can't really remember) It was winter time Ice inside the house just as much as outside if not more. The crew leader that came out to help us leaned his ladder up against the wall climed up it about 3/4 the way up and BOOOOM! :eek: ladder slipped on the ice and he fell down on top of exstention ladders the roofers had chained to the studs. He manage to break a few ribs that day! :yes: That was a very important lesson I learned on his behalf. (thanks Jim if your still alive??)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts