Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use computer estimation software. If so how accurate do you find it. I use an older maxwell program and usually use Phcc labor with a factor down on hours. I get a lot of generals tell me my hours are too high and so on and do fourth.
I do not bid to break even or lose money. But I’m tired of the “it shouldn’t take that long “ BS.
If I want to make wages I’ll go back to work for somebody.
BTW union contractor with way to many WAGD increases the past years.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
People will always underestimate how long someone else's work should take. I say let them complain and keep bidding work for a price you can make a profit on.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,082 Posts
If your using older programming. Try to get one and then at the completion do an actual breakdown to see how the profit/loss turned out.

I think material breakdowns should be close, labor is going to tend to work depending on how fast you and/or employees work.

We all know there is a difference between union and non-union work speed and maybe even quality. Can your workers think ahead? do they take to many smoke breaks, do they work at a decent speed, etc.

I think there are many variables that software can't compare. As a for instance, when I was still in the field a 3 bath residential ranch my boss & I could completely rough the DWV & water in about 20 hours total. Know he has some guys (still learning) that are going to take 3 days. I was away from the company for ab out 4 years and had some use it or loose it time. I wanted some extra cash so I got ahold of him to see if needed help for a week.

I went back after being out of the field for that long and blew away the newer guys without really trying, mostly because I didn't need to ask questions and work ethic.

You really need to take several jobs and compare how accurate you think they are compared to the program, then make adjustments from there. What works for one may not work for all.

My two cents anyway.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Does anyone use computer estimation software. If so how accurate do you find it. I use an older maxwell program and usually use Phcc labor with a factor down on hours. I get a lot of generals tell me my hours are too high and so on and do fourth.
I do not bid to break even or lose money. But I’m tired of the “it shouldn’t take that long “ BS.
If I want to make wages I’ll go back to work for somebody.
BTW union contractor with way to many WAGD increases the past years.
If it's like most guys here they complain but how many contractors go with out? they are usually driving new trucks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts