Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching some channel yesterday and ran across this show " L.A. Hard Hats "
It was all about this building a 23 story condo / retail place in LA called "EVO "

Brought back a bunch of memories of large construction work that I LOVED when was younger ! They showed all the different trades doing their thing .

When we finally got to the hour dedicated to plumbers I was telling the wife ," Now , you going to see something !" Man , did I get embarrassed ,,

They get to the point of hanging No-Hub and one guy says ," Oh yeah , this is all pre-cut and numbered . All we do is read this sheet and put the numbered piece where it says to go " ,,,,, WHAT ???

That was NOT the way we did it ! We built the plumbing system on site !
It was hard and DAMN BEAUTIFUL !! Seems like production has taken away our art . Kinda made me look the fool in front of my wife .

Cal

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I worked for a production plumbing company doing large new residential rental properties.
The owner would ship all the precut underground 4" mains, with fittings all coded for where they went.

I got bored so badly I quit after 3 months, despite the offer for a fat raise...I just couldn't stand it anymore.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
On every high rise job I have run all of the hub and spigot stacks were prefabbed with the appropriate starter fitting and all in slab piping before installation.

·
Banned
383 Posts
I worked for a production plumbing company doing large new residential rental properties.
The owner would ship all the precut underground 4" mains, with fittings all coded for where they went.

I got bored so badly I quit after 3 months, despite the offer for a fat raise...I just couldn't stand it anymore.

I think its because profit superceeds craftsmanship on some projects and the day of a thinking plumber is closing. And when that day comes were all screwed. Im 35 and not a dinosaur yet but im probably one of a few plumbers my age that can wipe a lead joint. I guess that ranks up there with being able to read sanscrit. So fellow wrench slingers while the time is still ours lets remember some of us dont even know there is a race going we just love to run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts