Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Good to know. Problem is: it was a yellow one.

I guess I could have replaced the canister, but it was a Sunday and I needed to get it done.

So, here’s the question, do you all keep a canister on the truck?

IMO the business cost of the job goes way up if I have to go to the supply house in the middle of a small job like this one. And you can’t really charge more -I guess you can; but you’ve got to bury it somewhere.

I don’t do a lot of service, but I most certainly keep a stock of parts around for stuff like this.
You can use a 2" flapper flush valve to replace the canister. I keep two 2" flapper flush valves on the van. We are a Kohler dealer and have sold thousands of these toilets, but I have had no need to carry the canisters on the van as of yet. Maybe in 5 or 10 more years. I've only had two locations need new flush cans due to breakage. One has extremely acidic water and the other was broken by a Grandchild.

I did have one house with terrible water, the canister didn't break but would constantly get mineral buildup, I swapped that out for a 2" flapper flush valve.

I also keep one or two 3" flapper flush valves on the van. Frankly a simple, single flapper assembly seems to be the best mechanism, whether that's 2" or 3".

·
Registered
Plumber
47 Posts
Good to know. Problem is: it was a yellow one.

I guess I could have replaced the canister, but it was a Sunday and I needed to get it done.

So, here’s the question, do you all keep a canister on the truck?

IMO the business cost of the job goes way up if I have to go to the supply house in the middle of a small job like this one. And you can’t really charge more -I guess you can; but you’ve got to bury it somewhere.

I don’t do a lot of service, but I most certainly keep a stock of parts around for stuff like this.
Those Kohler toilets with the flush canister are fairly popular around here, I think I've had to replace one or two of the canisters or flush valves because the plastic cracked somewhere. Both times it was recently after someone worked on it, so I'm not convinced it was anything wrong with the flush valve, more than likely a plumber who got a little rammy with it. I have seen those yellow rings get gummy and cause the canister to stick much like a Mansfield, so more than likely replacing the flush valve ring would have fixed the problem. I prefer a straightforward flapper to all the other silly designs, but I don't think I've ever swapped out a flush canister style flush valve for a flapper style. Flush valves usually don't just break, and by the time they do the toilet is usually due for replacement, or at the very least it makes more sense cash wise to replace the toilet than to try and replace the flush valve on something that old.

·
Registered
Plumber
241 Posts
I don’t think so. The water was splashing up the sides of the canister. And the hose wasn’t connected when I got there.
Ever turn the water back on to a toilet with that hose disconnected? Especially if the home has high pressure? That hose pops up and sprays the wall to ceiling... pretty sure you replaced the cylinder for no reason. It does the same with the lid on and it can spray out of the tank or cause the water splash

You should have checked the psi. Replaced or installed a new prv and replaced the over flow hose for free. Just Saiyan.

·
4th year apprentice
736 Posts
Flush valves usually don't just break, and by the time they do the toilet is usually due for replacement, or at the very least it makes more sense cash wise to replace the toilet than to try and replace the flush valve on something that old.
I'm glad someone finally said that. I hate waste and planned obscellesence as much as anyone, but I've talked a couple of people into replacing the toilet instead of paying for my time to disassemble the tank from the bowl and replace that damn Kohler cannister valve.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts