Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
And on topic i have a 40 year old water ram that I use tons of times. It works great on them sludge blockages on kitchen sink lines. Also works great on drum traps. It is just like cabling any line you want to make sure it is not back to back with another drain before use, and I have opened lines only using 5 PSI.

I do like to use it on lave sinks or tubs that has Drano in it, to get the drain at least seeping so I can flush it with fresh water before I stick my rodder in the drain line. Drain cleaning chemicals ruins a good cable to easily.

·
4,253 Posts
I love my water ram. Had a back to back water closet in a strip mall that was backed up. Both water closets would not flush, the blockage was just pass the double wye combo that was used. Everything else in the bathrooms worked fine. So we pulled water closet one, and stuffed a rag in water closet two, pumped up the water ram to 40 pounds and used the cone washer and blammo there goes the clog. Beats beating out my brains trying to make the rod take a right hand turn in the double wye.

I mostly use it for kitchen sinks that are so sludged up that you can rod till the cows come home and it will not open. Also great for bathtubs with drum traps. The key to this is the same with any tool you use, knowing how and when to use it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kinetic water ram

Read all the pu pu on this site about the rams and my tech also urged me to buy one, so we did and am I glad. That tool is the frachizzle drizzle!
First job; toilet, 10lbs, bam ---done
Second job; 3" flat branch drain clogged up for appx 40+ feet, pumped up to 52 lbs and bam----done. Just had to pull the toilet for that one. It comes with an attatchment to put in drains and tighten.

This particular line was put in flat by the homeowner and was recieving the discharge from a bathroom group and a kitchen with garbage disposal/dishwasher. The homeowner had installed hose bib connections every 20ft to facilitate clearing. Now what would ya rather do, drag in that damn heavy machine and grind and sling or bam and go??

Most of the force of this machine does go downline and not up the vents.

·
Trust me. I'm a doctor.
934 Posts
Been using one for more years than I care to count. It is like any other tool. There is a time and place for everything. If you have the experience and understanding of what is going on with the drain/blockage you know when the right time to use it is. If you are being lazy and using it when you should be rodding you can count on a call back. It is just like using a blowbag for a sludge blockage in a main sewer line. You can rod until the cows come home and not open it but the blowbag will take care of it in fifteen minutes.

*Edited for typo*

·
Registered
9 Posts
(posted by me on another thread...) They also work great for blowing the dust out of computers!:thumbup: One pop and the little dust bunnies on the motherboard fan are HISTORY!
I've used it around the house to knock those big spiders that dangle in front of the plumbing van into oblivion as well.:laughing:

I second what another person said here. I use mine a lot as well, but if I can't knock it loose with 15 pumps, it stops there. I start with 5 pumps which will very often clear a clogged lav, and work gradually up to 15 pumps. After 15 pumps it's over for the water ram. One perk is it will often pop loose an old 11/4 metal S-trap, which needs to be replaced anyways, and that helps the final bill.
I haven't had a whole lot of luck using it on toilets, but I have had luck a couple times.
I like the wow factor when you pull it out of the box. The HO is like "Ooooh that looks neat!" LOL One customer said WOW! What a caulking gun!!!!:laughing:

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it is best for traps then a good 'ol plunger is all you need. I would think this thing will just pop a small hole in a glog to release the pressure.
Actually no, it comes with directional tips that ensure full pressure release in ONE direction. I've read all the negative crap about this tool and I laugh because I have unstopped 50+ Urinals with with it (If the clog is in the Urinal, or close to it), countless sinks ect. Mine is made by General and it has saved me SO MUCH TIME it isnt funny. So reading all this negative stuff about it here is really quite funny because it all seems to be coming from people that have never used one.

Its worth mentioning, I have never had a pipe bust, flange seal split or anything. I love my Water Hammer.

·
4,253 Posts
One other thing the water ram is great for is to restore proper water pressure in the potable water system. I had a call by a condo owner about poor hot water pressure in their bathtub but had great pressure at the lav sink and kitchen sinks. Also there was a utility sink in the room next to the bathroom which had great pressure.

So I turn of the water to the building close the angle stops under the kitchen, and lav sinks. Then I open the utility sink hot tap. Remove the tub spout, and the shower head, cap off the shower arm. Pump up my water ram to 100 PSI attach my water ram to the nipple for the tub spout and make sure the hot side of the bath valve is open. Snap the trigger and watch all the rust flow out of the utility sink. Restore the water flow and flush the system. Then accept all the praise for fixing their water pressure troubles without repiping.

·
Registered
64 Posts
One other thing the water ram is great for is to restore proper water pressure in the potable water system. I had a call by a condo owner about poor hot water pressure in their bathtub but had great pressure at the lav sink and kitchen sinks. Also there was a utility sink in the room next to the bathroom which had great pressure.

So I turn of the water to the building close the angle stops under the kitchen, and lav sinks. Then I open the utility sink hot tap. Remove the tub spout, and the shower head, cap off the shower arm. Pump up my water ram to 100 PSI attach my water ram to the nipple for the tub spout and make sure the hot side of the bath valve is open. Snap the trigger and watch all the rust flow out of the utility sink. Restore the water flow and flush the system. Then accept all the praise for fixing their water pressure troubles without repiping.

This is a great example as to why Plumbers should utilize WITH OPEN MINDS every tool at their disposal. My Hammer sat in the shop for three years before I noticed it. My boss and other Plumbers shunned it saying it didnt work...right. I catch 4 to 5 calls a day, sometimes stretching 400 miles and I need every advantage I can get when working to reduce time, and Urinals were, and some times still are time killer. Granted, some lines just need to be augered, no question, but 65% of the Urinals I service are unstopped with my hammer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I mostly use it for kitchen sinks that are so sludged up that you can rod till the cows come home and it will not open.
When used to unblock kitchen sink drain and kitchen drain has a dishwasher drain connected to it.
Do you disconnect dishwasher drain hose and cap dishwasher drain connection on kitchen drain before using Kinetic Water Ram?

·
Registered
State of Michigan Master Plumber & Inspector
23 Posts
Been using a kwr for 20 years, it’s an amazing tool with multiple uses, I use it on steam systems regularly!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Really like my kinetic water ram back to back sinks and tubs it works great. have cleared lots of stoppages with it. Even used it on a septic tank once to clear the line from the home to the tank a messy job but it cleared the line for the homeowner. Only one call back and refund I could not return to job so customer called someone else. Really happy with it. My buddy got a job that a plumber could not clear and recommended that they bust up the shower pan to clear the drain fix the problem. He quoted $700 to clear the back to back tub and shower drain homeowner agreed got out his water ram and bam job was done collected his $700 and left. He said he felt a little guilty after he left the job. he saved the customer a few thousand dollars considering what the other guy offered as a solution. When I heard this I wanted one and I bought one that was at least 25 yeas ago. It is still going strong.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,992 Posts
I usually sub-out my drain calls (I hate clearing drains), but lately the 2 guys I sub to, have been to busy to take on this extra work. In the last month or so, I’ve been getting a lot of drain calls, So I decided to get out the old K-50 and and clear a few drains, it’s good experience for my apprentice, Altho now I remember why I hate clearing drains..
Last week I picked up one of these KWR, for $770 cdn.
Well we used it today, plugged vanity- pumped it to 15psi, plugged the over flow and popped it, we got soaked(the PO was flat/flush to the bottom of the sink, so the rubber cone couldnt seal well, will use some rags next time), but the drain cleared instantly.
Wow! Awesome.. I’m impressed!
Great tool, super fast and way easier then futzing with k-50, feeding the cables into the tail.. and the mess/clean up..

The only problem:
the client was complaining that I charged him $250 for about 3 mins of work..
i told him, this was an expensive, high tech tool, that clears the drain without damaging the drain, piping or joints, and there is no mess to clean up.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
..and there is no mess to clean up.
Bull. I used it on a kitchen sink drain last week. Yes, I got the drain open, but the p-trap blew off and I had a bunch of water to clean up under the sink. The p-trap was only a month old and I tightened the nuts beforehand.

Don't get me wrong, the air ram has it's place. I've used it several times when nothing else worked. But you best be damn sure it won't blow black **** out of somewhere else! I may or may not have done that in the recent past......

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
It's worth noting that poking a hole and cleaning a drain are two different operations.

You can't be assured that the ram has cleared much, if any of the blockage, just re-arranged the contents. I would much rather run my mini-jetter and fully clean the drain.

Funny enough, I ran the mini-jetter today and got back 5 hickory nuts a chipmunkmust have dropped in the vent. No way the air ram would have cleared those, it was galv steel pipe and that were piled up at a 90. It would have cleared the gouk between the nuts and it would have clogged again soon when the gouk packed between the nuts again. Yes nuts are a rare clog, but many other clogs might act the same way.

Usually I tell the customer it may not be a permanent fix if I have used the ram.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,992 Posts
Bull. I used it on a kitchen sink drain last week. Yes, I got the drain open, but the p-trap blew off and I had a bunch of water to clean up under the sink. The p-trap was only a month old and I tightened the nuts beforehand.

Don't get me wrong, the air ram has it's place. I've used it several times when nothing else worked. But you best be damn sure it won't blow black **** out of somewhere else! I may or may not have done that in the recent past......
“No mess to clean up” as in, - dirty or greasy cables that have spun and flung crud everywhere.. nasty rags, rubber gloves, winding cables back into the reel..

“cant you just let me have this one…”
Im not getting into jetting/flushing KT drains..

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I usually sub-out my drain calls (I hate clearing drains), but lately the 2 guys I sub to, have been to busy to take on this extra work. In the last month or so, I’ve been getting a lot of drain calls, So I decided to get out the old K-50 and and clear a few drains, it’s good experience for my apprentice, Altho now I remember why I hate clearing drains..
Last week I picked up one of these KWR, for $770 cdn.
Well we used it today, plugged vanity- pumped it to 15psi, plugged the over flow and popped it, we got soaked(the PO was flat/flush to the bottom of the sink, so the rubber cone couldnt seal well, will use some rags next time), but the drain cleared instantly.
Wow! Awesome.. I’m impressed!
Great tool, super fast and way easier then futzing with k-50, feeding the cables into the tail.. and the mess/clean up..
P
The only problem:
the client was complaining that I charged him $250 for about 3 mins of work..
i told him, this was an expensive, high tech tool, that clears the drain without damaging the drain, piping or joints, and there is no mess to clean up.
Tell client you made a mistake it was $350.00 bucks

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
It's worth noting that poking a hole and cleaning a drain are two different operations.

You can't be assured that the ram has cleared much, if any of the blockage, just re-arranged the contents. I would much rather run my mini-jetter and fully clean the drain.

Funny enough, I ran the mini-jetter today and got back 5 hickory nuts a chipmunkmust have dropped in the vent. No way the air ram would have cleared those, it was galv steel pipe and that were piled up at a 90. It would have cleared the gouk between the nuts and it would have clogged again soon when the gouk packed between the nuts again. Yes nuts are a rare clog, but many other clogs might act the same way.

Usually I tell the customer it may not be a permanent fix if I have used the ram.
You screwed up big-time do you have definite work there ever be months

41 - 59 of 59 Posts