Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
This is my own opinion. I don't expect anyone to agree with what I say about this.

Drum and bottle traps are non existent here, but when and if I do find one, it's all about replacement, find it, get rid of it, find a vent to clear it out at, I have never had an issue with a drain, even on a lav, if the trap is in good shape, I could walk the 1/4" cable around it and open line without ever pulling the trap. All I have to say about this device, to force a line open via pressure, is it won't stay open for long, it will clog back up in no time. It is just not the right way to do it.
I don't think I can count high enough to count the number of drum traps that are entirely encased in concrete in Chicago high rises that would cost thousands of dollars to replace because they have been tiled over with marble, slate, or granite tile.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Shame on all those that covered up those traps, I feel for the drain techs who have to deal with a bad rap as that. Don't look for me to move there anytime soon and open shop as a drain tech.
Chicago code is very clear on drain cleaning, if you do not have a plumbers license you can only clear main sewer blockages from a CO outside the building, in clay pipe, and you must have a drainlayers license to perform this work. If the pipe is cast iron, or inside a building, it has to be done by a licensed plumber, IL code has some similar rules, but I am not familar with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.