Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anone know what is on the Kentucky Master test? I guess I should have said Master plumber test. I am a plumber from the Dayton, Ohio area with my Ohio master license, but I have passed on jobs in Northern Kentucky and I signed up for the test so we can look at work in that area. The information from Kentucky did not state what was on the test and I just was curious if I would have to do an isometric drawing and answer essay questions or just size a drawing and answer multiple choice questions.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Odd, lists as "Master Plumber" and inquires about master test. Could be from another state and just moved to Kentucky. Maybe an intro would help clear this up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
lots of people are under the understanding that there are only three things you need to know to be a plumber.:whistling2:

·
Banned
383 Posts
kentucky masters test.

1. 5 multiple choice questions on dwv.
2. 10 true and false on domestic water distribution.
3. then there is the application portion. fry 1 whole chicken using 7 secret herbs and spices.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
kentucky masters test.

1. 5 multiple choice questions on dwv.
2. 10 true and false on domestic water distribution.
3. then there is the application portion. fry 1 whole chicken using 7 secret herbs and spices.
i KNOW i can pass this !! :whistling2:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Ahh but you forgot:

4. How to steal concrete blocks out from underneath your trailer for your ford pinto in the yard without the fridge door popping open on the front porch spilling your beer, and of course, deer parts from last weeks kill. :blink:

I'm thinking this guy isn't a plumber, but there's some really rough parts of kentucky with libraries and fwee intranet survice. Da-hee~!!!:laughing:

I shouldn't be so hasty. I couldn't resist either though lol!

What is your Journeyman's lic #???

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Author: Dunbar (KY)
There are 7 different versions of this test. One is crazy easy, one is terribly hard.

The rest inbetween, you have to know that codebook inside and out and you have to know how to spec/size/do a total DFU count on a commercial isometric drawing in order to pass.

Need to know about acid waste systems, dilution pits, along with other numerous items.

There are 50 questions on the written, some multiple choice, some fill in the blank, and a few drawings you're asked to do like a sand trap config or grease trap config spec'd to KY's code with flow control vent and sizing.

They purposely ask questions outside the codebook that you probably only would know if you was a plumber here working for years in this state.

They give multiple choice questions of what piping materials are NOT allowed for T&P relief valve piping, underground inside piping.

Need to know about the laws in Kentucky, Certain agencies, the Definition of a Master Plumber to a tee.

Need to know all the definitions like ASTM APML ASSE, definition of PVC, ABS, DWV in correct termage.

Need to know what county the division of plumbing would hear a court case if you were to be convicted for a violation of code, how many days you have to appeal and so forth.

Need to know about mobile home parks, distances between cleanouts, thickness of pads and their according sizes.

Absolutely need to know vent sizing, DFU loads for Vents and Drains, Trap arm lengths,

EVERYTHING ON THE ISOMETRIC DRAWING MUST BE SIZED TO MINIMUM, meaning you'll be sizing lavatories and drinking fountains @ 1.25 for the drain and vent.

Every drain MUST have a vent in KY, no exceptions. They take off points for oversizing and you'll fail the drawing part of test if you undersize the building drain or main vent stack.

Have to know distances for supporting PVC/COPPER/CPVC/METAL piping systems

On Cast Iron you need to know support distances as well.

No practical part of the test, all written and you have 2.5 hours I believe, you can have a calculator, no cell phones in the room or it's an automatic fail.

The test is hard to pass, no doubt about it so take your first test as an example of what you're about to do.

Most of the isometric drawings involve 4 or 5 story buildings, DO NOT telescope vents in KY.

Always remember that anything over 45' high of a building, no telescoping. Gauge your floor at 15' distances unless otherwise stated on the drawing.

ALWAYS ask for description of marked fixtures so you know what they are to count DFU loads.

Always figure out your total DFU count first, then size your main drain, figure out which one is your main vent which is a continuation of your main drain, and remember that water closets no matter what type they are, are 6 DFU's.

There's tons more I can put to print but this should give you a pretty good idea what you're getting into.

Most do not pass this test on the first try, and with good reason.

Always be aware of cross-connections in your potable water systems---They could one day harm you and your loved ones.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Duck !!

Way to go to lay it out like that....Damn, Brutha from anotha mutha!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
dunbar is correct i am currently studying to take ky master,and i am attending a class taught by inspectors, it is a ton of s t to know.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
You want it to be hard, trust me.

Keeps those who don't deserve it, out.

Remember to think outside that code book because they purposely throw questions in there that the answers will not be in the code book.

Nothing to be scared of, just keep testing out using each time as $75 training course, you'll get it eventually.

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
I thought to be a plumber in KY you need to know how to dig a hole, build a 3ftW x 6.5ftH wooden box and place a toilet seat in it. The water is a running stream with a sump pump in it to pump the water up to the house. But I could be wrong? :jester:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You want it to be hard, trust me.

Keeps those who don't deserve it, out.

Remember to think outside that code book because they purposely throw questions in there that the answers will not be in the code book.

Nothing to be scared of, just keep testing out using each time as $75 training course, you'll get it eventually.
Is your test open Book?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts