Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas ,,, I like a two trap system under a kitchen sink . Lots of times you don't have 2" in a remodel . So for this topic sake ,, let's just say you only have 1 1/2" . I split it with a wye and trap each bowl . And NO it is NOT illegal .

Any pros or cons ?? I know lots of you guys only go continuous waste .

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Against my code here, two traps not allowed under kitchen sink.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Ditto with Ron as we live in the same area.

On a separate note : Why? Seems like the trap is the bulkiest part of the kitchen sink setup, and 2 of them just takes up more space. :blink:

Also, how do you use two traps if there's a disposer?

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
I am trying to figure out what the size of the drain has to do with whether you use one or two traps. Seems to me, that is you have only a 1 1/2" drain then 1 trap would make the most sense because it would provide a wee bit more restriction before it hits the drain. That can only help with an undersized drain.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here in OK city they require 2 waste arms ,2 traps.First place I've plumbed like that.I suppose it allows for the fact that you'd still be able to use one side if the other waste arm gets stopped up.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ditto with Ron as we live in the same area.

On a separate note : Why? Seems like the trap is the bulkiest part of the kitchen sink setup, and 2 of them just takes up more space. :blink:

Also, how do you use two traps if there's a disposer?
It is damn crowded under there.I personally don't care for the addendum in OKCity.As for the disposal,you should already have a disposal 90 facing down which you extend with a continuous waste to tie-in to trap.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I never use 2 traps, not legal here, the only way I have seen this pass is with 2 santees going horizontal to verticle, one for the bowl and one for the disposal.

I perfer an end outlet waste. these day's to many people keep stuff under the sink, and the tubular does not stop them from cramming it in!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Only problem I see with solid piping is you won't have a baffled tee to divert the waste coming for the disposal side downward, disposal pushing water from the horizontal into the vertical side on the drain, will push the waste into the other side of the sink as it hits the tee without a baffle.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Only problem I see with solid piping is you won't have a baffled tee to divert the waste coming for the disposal side downward, disposal pushing water from the horizontal into the vertical side on the drain, will push the waste into the other side of the sink as it hits the tee without a baffle.
That is the only obstacle I haven't figured out how to deal with.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is point !! Disposal often pushes through to the strainer side . On the illegal note --- COME ON FELLAS !! I thought we were going to have open discussions over here not just " NOT ALLOWED ,, CONVERSATION OVER "

A 2" wall horizontal with a 1-1/2" arm is a perfect way to do a kitchen drain .

Cal

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
This setup is common here. Instead of a baffled tee, a wye 1/8 combo is used. Everything is hard piped except for the tailpieces, makes for a difficult situation when trying to snake line. I usually end up cutting the pipe and installing a fernco when putting it back together.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You loose space as well and damn tight with a disposal but i have come across many that were plumbed in hard.I personally don't see the need .Tubular works well when installed properly and if you have quality material.There are instances where it could be a better installation I suppose but I would see this as the exception and not the rule.It would slow down the diy'er wouldn't it.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
This is where things get confusing, for me at least.

We use ONLY sched 40 for P-traps...tubular is illegal on all but tailpieces.

Sitting here reading through and trying to understand all the different code perspectives is mind boggling...heck I just threw out the Rubix cube!

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
A double bowl sink with a disposal has to have two traps per Chicago code, as the disposal is a fixture, and every fixture has to have it's own vented trap. So for a typical high rise kitchen with disposal and dishwasher, you would have three stubouts coming out of the wall into the cabinet, one for the disposal, one for the sink, and one for the dishwasher.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
A double bowl sink with a disposal has to have two traps per Chicago code, as the disposal is a fixture, and every fixture has to have it's own vented trap. So for a typical high rise kitchen with disposal and dishwasher, you would have three stubouts coming out of the wall into the cabinet, one for the disposal, one for the sink, and one for the dishwasher.
We only require one trap, but quite frankly your code sounds better...if for no other reason the discharge from a disposal is less likley to push up into the other basin.

·
Registered
843 Posts
UPC here - only one trap per trap arm. And it works for basins, too - you can hook basins together with tubular and put them into one trap.

I still find lots of wye'd kitchen drains with double traps and try to convert them whenever I can.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts