Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Plumber
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Man it鈥檚 always something, if you鈥檙e not getting corn holed by your boss, the IRS, the state, the GC, or the other trades, it鈥檚 your fellow plumbers exploding your brown eye!

philosopher and statesmen
I already declined it, my tight hole is for homeowners only!

you can still get a little poking from a home owner now and then,
but its nowhere near as deep into the colon
as the builders can thrust it...

it will throb and sting for
years and years........ :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y)

Premium Member
you can still get a little poking from a home owner now and then,
but its nowhere near as deep into the colon
as the builders can thrust it...

it will throb and sting for
years and years........ :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y)
Reminds me of a bad hemorrhoid story. THANKS.

4th year apprentice
If it's one thing that I've learned here it is to be careful of GCs. I tend to take people at face value, so when I was alerted to how slick their predatory moves are I could see it right away. Didn't affect me all that much directly but I could see how one GC was grooming one guy I worked for. It was surprising that he fell for it since he's pretty slick himself, but he was getting set up for a good rodgering. The GC started trying to work on me just as he had gotten as much as he thought he could get away with from my boss. He tried to hire me away directly. If I hadn't been warned I might have fallen for it, and burned a bridge with a plumber who I am still in contact with and rely on for advice occasionally. He wasn't a great boss but he turned out to be a great guy to know.

If it's one thing that I've learned here it is to be careful of GCs. I tend to take people at face value, so when I was alerted to how slick their predatory moves are I could see it right away. Didn't affect me all that much directly but I could see how one GC was grooming one guy I worked for. It was surprising that he fell for it since he's pretty slick himself, but he was getting set up for a good rodgering. The GC started trying to work on me just as he had gotten as much as he thought he could get away with from my boss. He tried to hire me away directly. If I hadn't been warned I might have fallen for it, and burned a bridge with a plumber who I am still in contact with and rely on for advice occasionally. He wasn't a great boss but he turned out to be a great guy to know.
This is an age old truth.....

When you make a deal with the devil,
the devil always wins and never keeps up his end of the bargain
for once you have committed resources and time he has sunk the hook
in deep...

eventually he finds someone to replace you and never pays you or keeps his word
once he is through using you and screwing you real good....
Then he bends the new sucker over and lubes him up real good for his screwing.....

with promises of vast riches and lots of work.....if you will just trust me....:devilish::devilish::devilish:
and the circle of life continues on and on.......

The builders and GCs know most people have some greed in them
and they exploit this weakness to their advantage....it was probably taught to
them by their fathers.....who were also crooks.

Registered
Left my old job a couple of weeks ago, going on my second week of "on my own". I don't quite have all my ducks in a row yet, wasn't really planning on doing much work, figured I would take two weeks off, deal with some loose ends, and then hit it hard next week Monday. I've already had a few calls sent my way, and then had a real big one just fall right in my lap. A builder is in a pinch, has a two unit condo/duplex that is being held up by plumbing. His regular plumber had originally agreed to finish the entire development but is now backing out, says he's ready to retire and just can't do the work anymore. Foundation is poured, stone and tile are in, and he's got no one to do the underground. I went through and spent all yesterday tallying up a material takeoff, I went overboard and figured it down almost to the fitting. I threw in some padding for all the material I forgot and the extra fittings I didn't account for, anchors, 2x4s, misc. stuff. Submitted my bid, I had no idea if I was way over or way under, I'm not used to dealing with residential construction like this. He calls back said I was almost double the last guy. I start scratching my head, I honestly can't figure this out. He told me a rough price his other guy was doing the work for, I told him if I marked my material up 10%, that would leave me less than $4000 to plumb in an entire 2.5 bathroom unit, which I just don't think I can do. Or, put another way, I could make a way more money just running around fixing leaking toilets and cleaning kitchen drains. He was pretty cool and understanding, wasn't mad or anything, but it's got me a little worked up. I can't figure out if I'm way off on everything or if his other guy was just giving work away. I double and triple checked my material list, I might be a little heavy on stuff, I could probably switch to foam core, use cheaper fixtures, and shave $1000 off my material, MAYBE. I could probably rush through the rough in and finish work, slam stuff in as fast as I can, maybe shave a day off my install. MAYBE. Even if I cut corners, cheaped out on parts, and got the job done way faster than expected I would still be running thousands more than the other guy.

My thought is, he's either going to find some other guy to work for peanuts and I'll never hear back from him, or he's about to realize he had the cheapest plumber in town and his gravy train is over. Still second guessing myself about everything though. Oh well, probably won't be the last job I turn down or lose over price.
First off it takes time to learn how to bid jobs so you may be high or low a bunch of times. Its a learning curve. Second off, NEVER trust what a customer says another plumber bid as they likely will tell you a lower number in an attempt to get a low price from you. Third off, yes you would almost guranteed have to shave off the price by getting cheap material and fixtures and also run fast and just slap things together as fast as you can if you want to do new residential construction. I just did a job that I had bid and another guy got it (according to homeowner) for $5500 now when it came time to do it he must have realized it was a ****ed up job and bid because they were all of a sudden in a hurry to find another plumber as he did not show up. I billed them $11.000 and that was still at the low end.

Just keep it up. It will go up and down like a roller coaster. I'm 6 months in and I have had times now with no money or work and others with a full month's worth of work and plenty of money. If you do things the right way then work will come eventually but it requires the balls to keep on the path when you have not had a call in a week or two because it's normally a day or 2 after you gave up, that work come in again and after enough time those low times become fewer and fewer and when you get them you now have some money to survive those low times. That's where many fail, they second guess themselves and give up because a steady paycheck feels safe.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

First off it takes time to learn how to bid jobs so you may be high or low a bunch of times. Its a learning curve. Second off, NEVER trust what a customer says another plumber bid as they likely will tell you a lower number in an attempt to get a low price from you. Third off, yes you would almost guranteed have to shave off the price by getting cheap material and fixtures and also run fast and just slap things together as fast as you can if you want to do new residential construction. I just did a job that I had bid and another guy got it (according to homeowner) for $5500 now when it came time to do it he must have realized it was a ****ed up job and bid because they were all of a sudden in a hurry to find another plumber as he did not show up. I billed them $11.000 and that was still at the low end.

Just keep it up. It will go up and down like a roller coaster. I'm 6 months in and I have had times now with no money or work and others with a full month's worth of work and plenty of money. If you do things the right way then work will come eventually but it requires the balls to keep on the path when you have not had a call in a week or two because it's normally a day or 2 after you gave up, that work come in again and after enough time those low times become fewer and fewer and when you get them you now have some money to survive those low times. That's where many fail, they second guess themselves and give up because a steady paycheck feels safe.

Very well put.... the only issue I see is when you are slow and dont have anything to do ....
think about your advertiseing plan... devise a plan .... shake the bushes....
Get all the free advertiseing you can get on line like with Googles free map listing for your business.... get on Yelp and fire up a free
web site...throw pictures into the free photo album.... build up the advertiseing and they will come----------
Just dont sit around begging for a builder to call you

Registered
Very well put.... the only issue I see is when you are slow and dont have anything to do ....
think about your advertiseing plan... devise a plan .... shake the bushes....
Get all the free advertiseing you can get on line like with Googles free map listing for your business.... get on Yelp and fire up a free
web site...throw pictures into the free photo album.... build up the advertiseing and they will come----------
Just dont sit around begging for a builder to call you
Exactly my point. If you rely on builders you are in a bad spot when they don't call as there really isn't much you can do about it. When you mainly rely on homeowners then when it is slow you can work on advertisement strategies. Like right now I'm slow so I drive the van to a good visible spot and park and do some office work on my iPad. That way people see my wrapped van so it helps get me noticed. When slow you can post a discount for a water heater replacement on social media and such. Also with homeowners even when it slow you still have just a little income to get you by paying the bills. Like me today I only made a bill for $125 but thats better than the 4 builders that have nothing for 2-3 weeks.

Exactly my point. If you rely on builders you are in a bad spot when they don't call as there really isn't much you can do about it. When you mainly rely on homeowners then when it is slow you can work on advertisement strategies. Like right now I'm slow so I drive the van to a good visible spot and park and do some office work on my iPad. That way people see my wrapped van so it helps get me noticed. When slow you can post a discount for a water heater replacement on social media and such. Also with homeowners even when it slow you still have just a little income to get you by paying the bills. Like me today I only made a bill for $125 but thats better than the 4 builders that have nothing for 2-3 weeks.

We used to have builders call us screaming for a crew to be out to their site to rough
inn the plumbing... My dad would send everyone out there only to find the place was
not even half way framed yet.... a few times we actually worked with the carpenters still throwing on the
plywood roofing above us instead of wasting the whole day

Of course The builders did not care , they just wanted to get some action going and
order people around.... Lots of times I had run inns with them asking why they wanted
us out on the site--- and they acted like they were doing us a favor--
it stopped once we began doing the trip charge thing when they
were not ready for us... piss on them

Registered
I have done a few small remodels and a few jobs for contractors in trouble needing a plumber. I charge time and material and got paid weekly or when I finished the job in under a week. If you have a lot of materials delivered to a job by a supplier you can have the supplier lien the job for material costs. That would make the project liable for materials. That said I have been burned for a few thousand dollars from difficult customers. If I choose to I can go to small claims court to get the payment. But than you are chasing after money you lost and not focusing on making money. I won a small claims case against another contractor and he refused to pay so I contacted his bonding company and gave them a copy of the court papers and they paid me. The looser wound up going to jail for ripping lots of people off. You can make more on service and repair, but small remodels can fill in for slow periods.

Super Moderator
Slightly off topic, when my master and I were doing major remods of fire jobs, if we showed up and the electrician or hvac or any other workers were there, we鈥檇 reschedule. No sense in taking twice as long because your tripping over people.

Registered
I have done a few small remodels and a few jobs for contractors in trouble needing a plumber. I charge time and material and got paid weekly or when I finished the job in under a week. If you have a lot of materials delivered to a job by a supplier you can have the supplier lien the job for material costs. That would make the project liable for materials. That said I have been burned for a few thousand dollars from difficult customers. If I choose to I can go to small claims court to get the payment. But than you are chasing after money you lost and not focusing on making money. I won a small claims case against another contractor and he refused to pay so I contacted his bonding company and gave them a copy of the court papers and they paid me. The looser wound up going to jail for ripping lots of people off. You can make more on service and repair, but small remodels can fill in for slow periods.
The supply house will Leon you if you ordered the materials,I never heard of a supply house doing what you suggest but it鈥檚 possible I suppose

21 - 35 of 35 Posts