Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend I am trying to help. They have a well pump that is cycling off and on every time they turn on the water. The line coming into the house has a "T" that has the main line coming off as well as the pressure switch. Next down the main line is a cut off valve, then the pressure tank then a walter filter then off to the water softener. Off the side of the pressure switch line in a pressure meter. the pressure switch is a 40 to 65
The pressure meter likes to hang around 42 lbs. Whenever you turn on the water upstairs, the well pump will kick on and the waterpressure will jump quickly to 65 and the pump will turn off and the waterpressure will fall to about 42 and the cycle will repeat itself until the water is turned off upstairs. Any ideas?

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Thanks for posting on PlumbingZone.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

PlumbingZone.com is designed for professional plumbers to discuss issues and topics related to their profession. Many of our plumbers are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Backwash drain on the softner is plugged.

1. put the softner in bypass
  2. remove the head from the softner
  3. dis-assemble the head down to the backwash valve
  4. remove and replace the backwash valve
  5. clean the input shaft
  6. check the valve clearance (i believe they use solid lifters)
  7. check the timing
  8. plug the softner back in and check for spark
  9. check the natural gas pressure to the softner (most folks don't know they use gas to burn off the minerals)
  10. re-assemble the softner head
  11. change backwash hose with an ASME approved material
  12. read incoming water pressure at the filter
  13. check outlet side of filter for pressure drop
  14. check pressure level of pressure tank
  15. most run around 32 psi for highway driving
  16. don't use water upstairs. the pump may not be designed to lift it that high.
  17. you may have to get a high head pump.
  18. lower the cut off setting of the pressure switch to 20 psi. It should not short cycle after that.
  19. change the pressure tank to a scuba tank. pump won't run for a month.
  20. these few things would be my first steps if I was on the job
  21. Happy Easter

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I would add a pump upstairs to draw the water from the well. Oh, dont forget the 4" VTR.

Hey, another chocolate covered bunny rabbit!

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
ILL, what about the thermal coupling expansion tank valve reducer hydronic fiber basin at the bottom of the drain? The one thing you forgot, man oh man. This guy is really screwed. All he really needs is a decent handy man.

·
master of disaster
758 Posts
the thermalcoupling has to be tied into#554465456ppk 110volt flux capasiter,makesure you ground the rede wire on the neg.side
thank you -clem cadidlehopper.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I have a friend I am trying to help. They have a well pump that is cycling off and on every time they turn on the water. The line coming into the house has a "T" that has the main line coming off as well as the pressure switch. Next down the main line is a cut off valve, then the pressure tank then a walter filter then off to the water softener. Off the side of the pressure switch line in a pressure meter. the pressure switch is a 40 to 65
The pressure meter likes to hang around 42 lbs. Whenever you turn on the water upstairs, the well pump will kick on and the waterpressure will jump quickly to 65 and the pump will turn off and the waterpressure will fall to about 42 and the cycle will repeat itself until the water is turned off upstairs. Any ideas?
Walk away while your friendship is still intact.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I think you need to drill a hole in the top of the pressure tank and install an Air Admittance Valve (AAV).

I do not recommend that a DIYer attempt this job. It should only be done by a licensed professional plumber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts