Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I'm going to take an exam for journeyman in Texas,do anybody know is it possible to use the Code book during the exam or at least the tables, because an info like "how many fixtures are required in stadium ,cinema..;water service pipe standards-ASTM D 1527; ASTM D 2282...."
are almost impossible to be learned.Thank you.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Hi,I'm going to take an exam for journeyman in Texas,do anybody know is it possible to use the Code book during the exam or at least the tables, because an info like "how many fixtures are required in stadium ,cinema..;water service pipe standards-ASTM D 1527; ASTM D 2282...."
If you contact whoever administers the exam, they should be able to answer your questions.

·
Casual Observer
82 Posts

Nothing is impossible to learn and there is a reason behind everything you need to know in order to pass the journeyman exam in Texas. You cannot use a code book. Study until the answers are second nature to you. When you go back to take the Master exam you will be provided with some information to use during the test.

Don't look for shortcuts, learn the information and know how to use it properly in order to install professional quality plumbing out in the field.

Or keep looking for the easy way out, flunk the test four or five times until you luck out and pass, and then once you do, go in to residential new construction and lazily perform your piss poor work so that my service company can continue to employ people who care enough about our trade to clean up your mess.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Nothing is impossible to learn and there is a reason behind everything you need to know in order to pass the journeyman exam in Texas. You cannot use a code book. Study until the answers are second nature to you. When you go back to take the Master exam you will be provided with some information to use during the test.

Don't look for shortcuts, learn the information and know how to use it properly in order to install professional quality plumbing out in the field.

Or keep looking for the easy way out, flunk the test four or five times until you luck out and pass, and then once you do, go in to residential new construction and lazily perform your piss poor work so that my service company can continue to employ people who care enough about our trade to clean up your mess.
Man, that beat my answer all to crap! Well done.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Nicktex,I don't know why are You so rude.You just might say "No,It,s impossible".You wrote so many stupid things here...Of course there are many things that you don't need to know depending what you work actually.Yes is better to know them but if you don't use them you will forget them.I know master plumbers that have installed 10 water heaters for 15 years-just that is not their job.I've installed more than 1000 water heaters for 3 years by myself(that is true)All of them passed the inspections.So who has more experience?I'm sure if you try to repass the exam for master pl. after couple years you will be failed.Is this make you bad plumber?It's the same for the driving licence-how many of us will pass the exam if we just go to try?How many remember what are the fines for violations?
But we continue to drive ,right!
And if I have to find out how many toilets are required in a theatre,I just will grab the table(as You)and will find it!We don't need to know this because how many theatres are we going to design in our lifes?Probably zero.That's why THERE IS a table.
I'm talking about practice and experience..Do you know how many shower pans my master plumber has changed in his life-zero.He knows HOW to do it,but he never DID it.Just he works in different plumbing path.That means he doesn't have experience installing pans.But probably You will hire him instead an experienced guy because of the licence.
I think that's enough.I'm sorry about registering in this forum.Thank you
P.S.I'm sure You will hire me if You know what I can-and probably You will ,without knowing who am I.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
You're right, kid, _ing right. Don't take any _ing crap from anybody.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I have to agree. I cant remember all the codes either. But with me its because I am also a licensed building contractor and have those codes to remember as well. My old brain cant keep up like it used to. I honestly dont think anyone can remember all of them. If they do, its because they have way too much time on their hands.

I also dont see nicktex's response as being rude. So lets keep this thing civilized.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Hi,
Nicktex,I don't know why are You so rude.You just might say "No,It,s impossible".You wrote so many stupid things here...Of course there are many things that you don't need to know depending what you work actually.Yes is better to know them but if you don't use them you will forget them.I know master plumbers that have installed 10 water heaters for 15 years-just that is not their job.I've installed more than 1000 water heaters for 3 years by myself(that is true)All of them passed the inspections.So who has more experience?I'm sure if you try to repass the exam for master pl. after couple years you will be failed.Is this make you bad plumber?It's the same for the driving licence-how many of us will pass the exam if we just go to try?How many remember what are the fines for violations?
And if I have to find out how many toilets are required in a theatre,I just will grab the table(as You)and will find it!We don't need to know this because how many theatres are we going to design in our lifes?Probably zero.That's why THERE IS a table.
I'm talking about practice and experience..Do you know how many shower pans my master plumber has changed in his life-zero.He knows HOW to do it,but he never DID it.Just he works in different plumbing path.That means he doesn't have experience installing pans.But probably You will hire him instead an experienced guy because of the licence.
P.S.I'm sure You will hire me if You know what I can-and probably You will ,without knowing who am I.
Don't take what he posted too personally. It seemed to me he might have just needed to vent and something about your post sparked it. Things are pretty tough right now for most everybody. Stay around you're welcome by me, but if not i understand that as well.

Oh yeah, whenever I see your username the image of Borat pops in my head. Kind of amuses me.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Hi,
So, your opening a Water heater and shower pan repair company? Judging by your piss poor grammar skills, I am willing to bet that you will never pass that exam, let alone any other test. People fail those test when they take them for a reason. They are not ready. YOU, young grasshopper, are not ready.
PS welcome to the zone.:blink:

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
Yall don't be too hard on the guy. He won't feel welcome at all. If he is young, he will learn plumbing if he sticks to it and works hard at it. He IS wanting to take the test as we all did. Can't hold that against him. Besides, I think some of US need to learn how to spell, or at least do a spell check sometimes. :whistling2:

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Do we have spell check on here? Hey plasticman, hows business going? Like my new avatar. Its my company logo.

Passed both test on the first time BTW. Journeymans, and Masters. Why? Cause I wuz ready.

·
Casual Observer
82 Posts
Hi,
I'll assume English isn't your first language, so I'll forgive the grammar and spelling, and I'll even forgive the comment that I wrote "so many stupid things here." :laughing: I did not intend to hurt your feelings and I hope that you will continue to post here. There are many smart guys here who work very hard at this trade and have a great deal of valuable experience and information. Get involved, stick around, and learn from them.

I don't mean to give you the impression that you have to know every line in the code book, and it is true, there is no reason to take up precious brain capacity with information that is seldom used and easily found in reference materials, charts, tables, etc. My reaction is based on the fact that there are a lot of hacks and idiots out there who are unwilling to put the effort in to learning how to ply our trade with excellence and are instead always looking for the easy way to do things. It was unfair for me to insinuate that you are one of those people.

Good for you for working towards getting licensed. The test is not difficult and yet there is still about an 80 to 85% failure rate for those taking it the first time. That is pretty sad. It means that when you are down in Austin testing to become a journeyman you can look around and know that of the men in the room with you only a handful are going to leave there having passed. I would encourage you to take a prep course through one of the TSBPE approved providers http://www.tsbpe.state.tx.us/contactnumbers.html Most of those listed at this portion of the site offer a class. It will help you determine what you need to spend time studying and will give you an idea of what to expect when your test date arrives.

Good luck.

·
1,204 Posts
Do we have spell check on here? Hey plasticman, hows business going? Like my new avatar. Its my company logo.

Passed both test on the first time BTW. Journeymans, and Masters. Why? Cause I wuz ready.
Business has picked up some, thank God. I roughed in a slab today, one yesterday, by my self thank you. Tomorrow I will run sewer and water on both. Trim out scheduled for Monday. Getting better, still slow, but better.

I like your avatar. I saw your van yesterday at E&E.
Now each time I watch a seminole game I will think of your company.
Can you stab that plunger in the ground like Chief Osceola does? Lol.
Shouldn't be any ( crap on the field ) after that..:laughing:

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Thanks Plasticman. thats my father driving that van. He is cathcing alot of the service calls for me. Not a lot of new construction for me. Am doing quite alot of remodels though. I think I picked up 20 new homes in Liveoak though. You know they are building some new prison over there and people are gonna need a place to live along with there new jobs.

"Now each time I watch a seminole game I will think of your company".

See, you get it. So will all the gator fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
1,204 Posts
Oh, and the eyes look like the money I could save with Geico. :lol:
:lol:
:lol:

·
1,204 Posts
My son is working with Simplex Grinnell. Fire sprinkler company. They are doing that prison there. He is now leaving here at like 5:30 am all week for the trip there.
If you need some help on those houses, I specialize in them. 1 slab rough per day, by myself. :) Which ain't bad for an ole fa=t like me. lol

·
1,204 Posts
Call me sometime so we can bs. I am goin to bed now. I am exausted.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts