Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Plumbing
13 Posts
I’m getting ready to take the test soon too. I just joined tonite. I’m in Illinois. Struggling with the practical as well. Any sage advice? Can I pay someone for time to help?
I spent some extra time and money building practice projects.
Have all your tools ready. etc.
Ill try to think of some more advice and post after work.

What general part of Illinois are you in? Im in west central.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Intro. My name is Joe. I'm in the Chicagoland area(lemont) . My dad was a great plumbing contractor.....but I went to school. After school and in finance for 18 years, I got sick of GCs never doing what they said so I became a GC. Have a great business and my buddy sponsored me so now I am going to take the test. I've taken classes at BF ACADEMY. I am pretty good on the drawing and MC but can't seem to find anyone that will say, this is how you approach the physical part. Copper not a big deal(still don't get it right? but the pvc and cast iron, I screw up. I know there are tips and tricks. I cant seem to even pay someone to help. Amazing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the response.

Intro. My name is Joe. I'm in the Chicagoland area(lemont) . My dad was a great plumbing contractor.....but I went to school. After school and in finance for 18 years, I got sick of GCs never doing what they said so I became a GC. Have a great business and my buddy sponsored me so now I am going to take the test. I've taken classes at BF ACADEMY. I am pretty good on the drawing and MC but can't seem to find anyone that will say, this is how you approach the physical part. Copper not a big deal(still don't get it right? but the pvc and cast iron, I screw up. I know there are tips and tricks. I cant seem to even pay someone to help. Amazing.

·
Registered
Plumbing
13 Posts
Thanks for the response.

ill be honest. I am very often an inch or more off on my project. the last time took the test i cut extra pieces just a bunch of kinda random pieces may be a couple 2.5 in for hub to hub connection. just in case throw the extras in your box like its scrap. you have to get your pieces inspected before you assemble so dry fitting is kinda frowned upon. anyway when i put my project together my last piece didn't fit so i had to sneek in a post inspection cut. if they see it you get docked points. plus one of my random pieces worked better and i swapped for it. in the end i my project was 1/8 inch off outside dimensions.
Basically somehow my cuts were off somewhere. and its a lot to think through in just a couple hours. so i built in some room for mistakes and a way to make it comeout right.

·
Registered
Plumbing
13 Posts
another tip:
i also where a simple hoody jacket and use it to cover my cast iron while cutting, so the cast does not shoot across the room. (like happened to another guy) and the proctors were not happy about it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the idea of the random scrap pieces...good idea! Don't think they would catch that. When I did one practice test, I was shooting cast iron all over the room...lol. The hoody is a great idea. Thanks. Anyband all tips appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts