Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I have a customer with some clogged roof drains. It is mostly pea gravel, dirt and tar, very clay like. A rodder won't go thru it. Does anybody jet in this case?

Jeff
Unless you can jet it backwards I don't see how it could do much good.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Can you get to it and cut it out or is this not possible? Havent jetted roof drains, only exterior lines.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KTS,
the risers are 3-4 foot long on the short roofs and maybe 10-11 foot long on the high roofs. The jam is right at the bend. There is very limited acess in side, some have no access. I was thinking that the jetter would at least liquify the sludge and give me fighting chance to rod it, or hit it with the Kinectic Ram, which did great on some shower drains, by the way, 1st time I have ever used it. My partner got some great backblast from the ram, the best was a full on crotch shot. 2nd best was a half facial. It was only storm water, so he wasn't puking.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chad,
the drains are all lead and oakum, XH cast iron in 4." Unfortunately, cutting the elbows out won't work on all of them. They are 17' above the floor, and conveyors and machines are all over the place. I can get to maybe 3 out of 5 on a 14' step ladder, two are just not accessible.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Chad,
the drains are all lead and oakum, XH cast iron in 4." Unfortunately, cutting the elbows out won't work on all of them. They are 17' above the floor, and conveyors and machines are all over the place. I can get to maybe 3 out of 5 on a 14' step ladder, two are just not accessible.
Ahh... That sucks. Jet may give you that extra push you need to unstop the drains, dont see where it would hurt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I recently jetted a half dozen roof drains at a post office.

They too were full of gravel and leaves. I used a 3/8" hose with a penetrating nozzle. I was able to back drag some of the material but most of it was flushed down the drain.

Worked great for me. Every situation will be different though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently jetted some roof drains at Taco bell using the mini hose. Lots of gravel and silt and a small tree growing on the roof! I have never seen a tree on the roof before but it had roots all in that thing. It didnt want to go in but after a few twist's and pulls it busted through and alowed me to make a few more slow passes to clean the line.

JJBEX, just curious, what kind of jetter can you rent?

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I've never had a problem jetting roof drains.

Mark

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Purchase a longer section of 1-1/4" shop-vac hose, use a 5hp shop-vac and attach the hose to a push rod. I've had to do just what your trying to do and it works great. Push the push-rod slowly and you may need to occasionally pull it all the way out to clear some of the loose gravel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts