Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Plumber
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at trailer and skid Jetters from northwest jetter and Trojan.

The principal decision seems to be between 4000 psi and 8 gallons a minute or 3000 psi at 12 gallons a minute.
What are the trade-offs involved? From the standpoint of capability? Flow versus high pressure?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have run a Harben unit quite a bit, and it puts out 4k psi I'm not sure on the flow rate, but I know that for soft stoppages and grease I like more flow and for tree roots I like more pressure but I feel like flow can be regulated by which heads you choose to use and 3000 psi is where i start when cutting roots and anything less wouldn't be adequate.

·
Registered
Plumber
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies gents.

I suppose I'm looking for something that's good for residential and light commercial.
I've been a plumber for eight years and have unstopped a wide variety of drains with cable.

We have always outsourced jetting.

I am new to Jetting.

Purchasing a $60,000 plus Jetter at the beginning of the business feel wrong.
The entry point of 20k for a good skid or trailer is what I'm looking at right now.

I'm looking at the unit that will have two hoses. 3/8 300 foot. 1/2 400 foot.

·
Registered
Plumber
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes the porable water issue in Jackson has been largely solved.

The problem with Jackson and the greater metropolitan area is that the entire town is built on hydraulic Clay.

Depending upon changes in wetness the ground shifts inches a year in some places.

When the mall was built in Jackson… There was a 10 foot void space underneath it.

All the plumbing and electrical had to be hung by people standing on 8 foot ladders.

Now, 50 years later the clay has risen 10 foot and routinely smashes electrical conduit and plumbing into the underside of the slab… Causing access holes to be cut and tunneling crews to pull out many yards of hard packed clay so that new plumbing can be run.

There are multi million dollar houses here that are built on 3 foot thick slabs with 6 foot deep footings that must be jackhammered for extensive repair in less than a decade.

there are no less than six incredibly busy foundation repair companies here. Newly installed sewer lines can have misalignments And rough spots in a very short period of time.

sometimes when we call the most reputable Jetting company here there is a three day wait time.
and there are some people who run their Jetter for $850 pretty regularly.

I feel like if I test the market I will find work… If for some reason that is not the case I should be able to get enough service work to more than double my current salary.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Myself I usually buy used equipment and repair it or find deals or Craig's List. I found a 16 hp gas getter 4000 psi and 4.5 gmp with all the hoses 1/4" out to 100' for $500 dollars. I have seen small trailer jetters for $5000 dollars. I know you want more GPM and good pressure good luck look for used stuff, and if it is profitable buy better equipment. Or you can rent or try a short term lease. Just putting my ideas out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts