Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phone rings around 8:30 pm tonight and as my wife is going to pick it up she yells from the other room "are you going anywhere tonight?" to which I instantly reply "oh no, it ain't happenin' tonight". About a minute later she walks in the room with her hand over the mouth piece and says "you've got to talk to this lady. Her dog has it's foot stuck in a drain!" So I answer the phone and she proceeds to tell me how this poor 120 lb puppy of hers (yikes that's a lot of doggy treats) has managed to get two of it's toes stuck in between the grid of her tub drain and has been stuck since 10:00 am this morning! "Oh great!" I'm thinking 'cause theres no way I'm leaving that animal stuck like that if I can help. She tells me how she's called the fire department, the humane society, and a couple of other entities that I can't remember now and all of them either couldn't or wouldn't help. So I ask her a couple of obvious questions like "Did you try any liquid soap or oil?" , "yes we did that but it didn't work". The lady sounds distressed as you could imagine because her pet is suffering. I'm sure if the dog had been there since 10:00 am that the strainer grid had long since cut into the toes from the dog moving around and from the efforts to get it dislodged. So I ask her where she is located so I know where I'm going and she says "xxxxxxxxxx but first I need to ask you how much it costs for you to come out?" and I tell her "Saturday night service call is simply twice the normal service call which would give you a total of $118 to get me out there. I have to tell you that I've never had this call before and I'm not certain whether I can actually help you or not. I have no idea what to charge you for something like that but it may not be any more than the service call charge. I should know within just a few minutes whether I can help you or not." "Oh, ... ok so it will cost $118 just to get you out here?" "Yes ma'am but it may not cost you anything else, I don't know." "Ok, well I'm going to keep calling around (I guess to see if someone would leave their family on a Saturday night for free) but if I have to I will call you back as a last resort."

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not her dog.

I really don't understand this. $118 really is not a lot of money anymore. I'm an animal lover. I have a little long haired miniature weiner schnitzel hound doggy of my own. I had already resolved to myself that I would not leave the dog in that condition whatever it took and I probably would not have charged them anything more but how in the world do you manage to let your dog get in a predicament like that and not do whatever it takes to get the dog free. No, instead you want to try for 10 1/2 hours just to find SOMEBODY who is even willing to come out and when you find them you want to play "price shopper" over a piddly $120.00! If this were my dog I'd of had the fire dept over there with the "jaws of life" in 15 minutes if that's what it took.

I hope the dog got free 'cause she hasn't called back. I really did not want to leave the house at 8:30 pm but was willing to. If she calls back now (which I know she will not) I'll still go for the dogs sake but she will not like what I have to tell her when I get there.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I've got a better one buddy. I just got this one a few days ago. I answer the phone and get this:

Caller: Hi I'm XXXXXX at XXXXXXXX doctor’s office. We would like to get an estimate on what is wrong with the sink drains.

Me after gathering the standard info: Well XXXXXX, I would be happy to come out and give you an estimate. Our service and diagnostic charge is XX during normal business hours for non-emergency service and if you end up needing any work done while the tech is out we will even waive the diagnostic charge if you have it done on the same trip. I can have a master plumber out there in the next hour or so if you would like.

Caller: You mean we have to pay for the estimate? Um, I don’t think Dr. X is going to go for that.

Me: I'll tell you what, I've got this pain in my wrist and I've been meaning to have it looked at. I'll trade Dr. X's diagnostic for mine. In fact, I'll even bring my diagnostic equipment and equipment along with my self to his location and he can do his diagnostic on me while I'm there. Pretty sweat deal huh?

Now what do you think the answer was?

·
Registered
29 Posts
normal [ snafu ]

we get that all the time. a large percentage of our customers are real scum. we get them all. most times you never see it coming either. i have been sand-bagged by the ones you who never expect it from. even so called friends have stuck the shiv in my back. tough business. bob nyc
Phone rings around 8:30 pm tonight and as my wife is going to pick it up she yells from the other room "are you going anywhere tonight?" to which I instantly reply "oh no, it ain't happenin' tonight". About a minute later she walks in the room with her hand over the mouth piece and says "you've got to talk to this lady. Her dog has it's foot stuck in a drain!" So I answer the phone and she proceeds to tell me how this poor 120 lb puppy of hers (yikes that's a lot of doggy treats) has managed to get two of it's toes stuck in between the grid of her tub drain and has been stuck since 10:00 am this morning! "Oh great!" I'm thinking 'cause theres no way I'm leaving that animal stuck like that if I can help. She tells me how she's called the fire department, the humane society, and a couple of other entities that I can't remember now and all of them either couldn't or wouldn't help. So I ask her a couple of obvious questions like "Did you try any liquid soap or oil?" , "yes we did that but it didn't work". The lady sounds distressed as you could imagine because her pet is suffering. I'm sure if the dog had been there since 10:00 am that the strainer grid had long since cut into the toes from the dog moving around and from the efforts to get it dislodged. So I ask her where she is located so I know where I'm going and she says "xxxxxxxxxx but first I need to ask you how much it costs for you to come out?" and I tell her "Saturday night service call is simply twice the normal service call which would give you a total of $118 to get me out there. I have to tell you that I've never had this call before and I'm not certain whether I can actually help you or not. I have no idea what to charge you for something like that but it may not be any more than the service call charge. I should know within just a few minutes whether I can help you or not." "Oh, ... ok so it will cost $118 just to get you out here?" "Yes ma'am but it may not cost you anything else, I don't know." "Ok, well I'm going to keep calling around (I guess to see if someone would leave their family on a Saturday night for free) but if I have to I will call you back as a last resort."

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not her dog.

I really don't understand this. $118 really is not a lot of money anymore. I'm an animal lover. I have a little long haired miniature weiner schnitzel hound doggy of my own. I had already resolved to myself that I would not leave the dog in that condition whatever it took and I probably would not have charged them anything more but how in the world do you manage to let your dog get in a predicament like that and not do whatever it takes to get the dog free. No, instead you want to try for 10 1/2 hours just to find SOMEBODY who is even willing to come out and when you find them you want to play "price shopper" over a piddly $120.00! If this were my dog I'd of had the fire dept over there with the "jaws of life" in 15 minutes if that's what it took.

I hope the dog got free 'cause she hasn't called back. I really did not want to leave the house at 8:30 pm but was willing to. If she calls back now (which I know she will not) I'll still go for the dogs sake but she will not like what I have to tell her when I get there.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
I love how your wife handled that call. What she did is something I would do. You told her you weren't going out, BUT she has compassion and she knows you have compassion! Compassionate people respond all the time. It's not about the money, it's about caring about other people (and their pets).

I truly wish customers would understand plumbers are not rich and price shopping is really an insult. Honest guys like you give accurate info. on the phone, the lowballers will often do a bait and switch once they are on site.

Price shopper beware!

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I truly wish customers would understand plumbers are not rich and price shopping is really an insult. Honest guys like you give accurate info. on the phone, the lowballers will often do a bait and switch once they are on site.

Price shopper beware!
How true! Heck you might even end up with a new furnace after the dog is loose...:laughing:

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Over the years I have found doctors and dentists to be the cheapest bastards out there. they always ***** about the price and usually take 3 months to pay. Lawyers are even worse, in fact to the point that we don't work for them because they have all the legal angles to get out of paying the bill.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Over the years I have found doctors and dentists to be the cheapest bastards out there. they always ***** about the price and usually take 3 months to pay. Lawyers are even worse, in fact to the point that we don't work for them because they have all the legal angles to get out of paying the bill.
I once had a lawyer I was giving a quote for flat rate labor on a customer supplied tub/shower mixer replacement try to pin me down on materials cost with the in the wall pipes unseen as well as any pipe replacements needed with the installation on a house almost 300 years old...

For some reason this Bozo thought I might just repipe back to the meter from the 3rd floor if needed for the price of a flat rate mixer installation...:laughing:

Not in this lifetime....

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I might have called the local newspaper to send a reporter than headed out there for free.

Mark

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I'm with Mark ,,,,, call the local news ,,, report her cheapness ( or Poorness) then head over for the show

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
ya but if they find out then they will turn around and sue you for discrimination its a lose lose situation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts