Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow is a good day! A hard working plumber is going to get a well-deserved, completely unexpected raise. He has been loyal and optimistic throughout this recession - truly a bright spot in an otherwise dismal economy.

Can't wait to sit down and be a part of praising him to success.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
You accepting applications? :)

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hotter here in the south!

:laughing: Wages are definitely less than union wages.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
It's hotter here in the south!

:laughing: Wages are definitely less than union wages.
People moved here from buffalo NY and almost died unloading the truck.The guy said he never has sweated more in his life.....he got so hot he sat down in the back of the truck to take a break.......in the moving van!!!!! that tells you right there he was over heated and not thinking right.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RSP - surely you jest . . . A nickel? . . . We aren't Walmart.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Nope, not wal mart here either. I consider a decent raise at least a buck. If hes getting that, then he must be impressing you guys.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anything less than a dollar is an insult. I felt that way 15 years ago. Some companies will give a dime raise. :eek: Are you really suppose to thank someone for an extra $4.00/ week? That won't even buy a Big Mac!

Yes, he impresses both my husband and me. I love the way he writes up his invoices (very neat and clean), all tasks and orders are taken in a cheerful manner and my husband appreciates his plumbing ability and his way with customers. Both of us appreciate his loyalty. We would have liked to have done it sooner. Our philosophy is that our employees should never have to ask for a raise.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
My biggest raise ever was $4.85 per hour. It had to do with getting my Master's Licence and sliding up a notch on the scale. Journeymen were paid better than average, Masters a lot better.

During a dark time in life I worked for a large retailer for a few months. I got a 13 cent an hour raise. Had nothing to do with me, it was a "time on the job" raise. Pissed me off but good. Keep your raise! (A few weeks later I was offered a promotion that would have more than doubled my pay. I hated the place and a plumbing job came through so I told them to shove it.)

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Tomorrow is a good day! A hard working plumber is going to get a well-deserved, completely unexpected raise. He has been loyal and optimistic throughout this recession - truly a bright spot in an otherwise dismal economy.

Can't wait to sit down and be a part of praising him to success.
It sure does feel good to reward a job well done. The employee has helped you make money, and now you promptly return the favor....before they ask!:thumbsup: Good job!

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Anything less than a dollar is an insult. I felt that way 15 years ago. Some companies will give a dime raise. :eek: Are you really suppose to thank someone for an extra $4.00/ week? That won't even buy a Big Mac!

Yes, he impresses both my husband and me. I love the way he writes up his invoices (very neat and clean), all tasks and orders are taken in a cheerful manner and my husband appreciates his plumbing ability and his way with customers. Both of us appreciate his loyalty. We would have liked to have done it sooner. Our philosophy is that our employees should never have to ask for a raise.
I knew a happy go lucky young man like that myself once.:whistling2:

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Friday was a good day. His paycheck already included his raise and he was really appreciative. In addition (6 weeks ago he ran a call on a weekend that wasn't his) we told him to take his family out (movies, something fun or his wife out for a nice dinner on us). He never took us up on it, so we insisted that he use his company credit card and do it!

We took off eary (1:00 p.m.) and my husband told him, "if the boss isn't working, you shouldn't have to work." He is on call this weekend, but we told him Friday afternoon that we were only going to take calls for longtime customers and true emergencies. Everything else would be pushed into Monday. As it turned out - calls are set up for Monday!

He called us at 4:00 p.m. to thank us again for his raise. He couldn't believe that he didn't have to ask.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts