Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Plumber
14 Posts
Didn't Texas remove licensing requirements for plumbers a year or two ago, so that anyone could be a """"plumber""'''? Either way this is sad, luckily no one was killed.

I remember one service call, this guy had me out to hook up his gas dryer, he had tried and it kept leaking. I found he had tried to hook a FIP black iron pipe coupling up to a flare adaptor. I was polite, explained the difference, then quoted him the price to do it right, something cheap like $200. The guy flipped out, yelled at me, accused me of being a rip off artist, blah blah blah. If his wife hadn't intervened I probably would have walked right out on him. Never ceases to amaze me how people can fail to see what's right in front of them.

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
238 Posts
Didn't Texas remove licensing requirements for plumbers a year or two ago, so that anyone could be a """"plumber""'''?
Not quite. Our license was going to be regulated at the county and city level instead of state. Would have been a situation ripe for corruption if you ask me.

Texas law does allow a homeowner to do any plumbing work in their own home, including gas, provided they follow all codes, pull permit, get it inspected, etc. Never happens and there's too many "I-do-it-all" handymen around.

·
Registered
Plumber
14 Posts
Not quite. Our license was going to be regulated at the county and city level instead of state. Would have been a situation ripe for corruption if you ask me.

Texas law does allow a homeowner to do any plumbing work in their own home, including gas, provided they follow all codes, pull permit, get it inspected, etc. Never happens and there's too many "I-do-it-all" handymen around.
Interesting, I could actually see that working well in some cases, as state oversight can be big, slow, bloated, and inefficient. I know our state's labor department is notorious for screwing up basic stuff regarding plumbing licenses. But I also know how small towns and counties run and you are right on the money, there would be some good old boys clubs screwing people over left and right.

Plano House Explosion Likely Caused by Gas Leak, Investigators Say

Yup, gas leak. Here's hoping it wasn't a licensed company that worked on it last. I'd hate to be that guy.
I wonder how likely it is a homeowner special? Gas stove hooked up with a garden hose and some duct tape?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts