Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

isometric drawing help

Tags
isometric
78K views 106 replies 34 participants last post by  OpenSights 
#1 ·
I am trying to learn how to draw a proper isometric drawing. I can read them perfectly fine but when it comes to drawing them o boy :eek: I have pipes pointing in all sorts of directions lol. By and chance can anybody help with this i really need the practice, Thanks in advance.

#14 ·
That's pretty cool Sewer Ratz. I just printed out a sheet of that isometric graph paper. It amazes me the resources located here at PZ. The wealth of knowledge and experience from all these professionals. I wish I would have had access to this site years ago when I was coming up. This site and it's plumbers rock!...:thumbsup:

#4 ·
Ok revenge I know a very easy way to draw. First you make a compass on the top of the paper , but you add a up and down line and rotate your normal compass... It sounds stupid but it works when you draw the east west north and south you draw them at a 45 degree angle some say 30 degree but ether will work for a starter drawing.... Now you have your compass and north can be where ever you want it, it doesn't matter at all But if you are drawing for a real job I'd make it match the site plan. If drawing a sanitary drain system you put a line with a S on the edge of the paper to represent the sewer and where your drain will run to So now you start with a main trunk and what ever direction it goes in the building you draw it parallel to the line in the compass for that direction so a riser or drop will always go up and down. When I practice I always put north on one of the top sides of my compass...draw a main then any branch lines . All lines will be parallel to one of the compass lines after branches draw risers witch will go up and down on the paper . And draw fitting directions like a wye or combo and San tee. Then draw vents in dashed lines. Its hard to explain like this but I tried. I ways amazed when a was shown and drew a lot to practice for my test. But wasn't required to draw for test just drew to make a parts list for the doll house Don't hesitate to pm me if you want more explanation ..... Here's a crappy drawing with out fittings but the compass is the key for this method. Jut draw all lines to mach it and you will end up with a 3d drawing

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks tex helped out a bunch i heard for the master you no longer play with the doll house. but they do want an isometric so i gotta learn how to do and if they do make you play with the doll house gona be kind of hard to do with out knowing how to draw an isometric. Gots to start learning quick btw. When i took my journey man i did a basic drawing for drain, basic for vent and passed it fairly easy. but the master i heard its 26 fixtures. I dont think my way gonna work this time.

#6 ·
I'd suggest take a prep course from Jonny curtin He is on the boards web site he use to be a state examiner and helped rite the test He has a prep class for masters with fixtur units water and drain venting combustion gas , natural gas and all that crap you have to know I took the required training for journeyman test from him and made a 100 on dollhouse 98 on shop and 97 on written He let's you know what to study and what not And yes masters is a 3 story house one day test www.txplumberprep.com. Is his website. I strongly recommend him and will be taking his prep class on 2 more years

#9 ·
Isometrics are not that difficult once you get the hang of it. You will need to practice.
All vertical pipes such as waste stacks and vents, are also vertical on your isometric paper.
All horizontal pipes are drawn on a 30 degree angle on iso paper.
You need a '30-60-90' triangle in order to draw isometric drawings. You'll also need isometric paper.

Attachments

#17 ·
The easiest way that I was shown during level2 at school was to only ever have the triangle in 2 positions on the paper and never any other way! The long side adjacent to the 90 degree angle always at the bottom and the triangle only flipped on the short side.You then only have 2 positions to work with and it'll be isometric. Our teacher went nuts if you did it any other way and it works. If you get used to this - it'll be pi$&easy. All you'll have to do is think about the direction the pipe is going and how you fit it onto the paper best. I used to hate isos - not anymore!

Good luck.

#19 ·
swedishcharm21 said:
Those 4 lavs are not vented correctly. You can common vent 2 of them, and AAV the others if you want, but make sure your drain is sized for 4 DFU
Please post an intro in the intro section

#34 ·
Tommy. Your second sketch is fine. The ur/Wc are common vented, and your lavs are too. Your floor drains are combination drain and vented. You are good to go. Set aside the drawing for a test....I understand why you do not list the sizes.

I am speaking as far as simply looking at a drawing that we all know what your showing. Since you are in Florida, I am sure your code and mine are prettymuch the same, minus the frost lines and rain fall per hour. They conform to the ICC as do we in michigan.

Never was knocking you by the way bud. your drawing is fine. I would pass the revised one here. As long as your sizes were correct. Yes I know this particular drawing is not requiring this, I am speaking as if it were. :)

#36 ·
No AAV permitted? Interesting. As far as wet venting, as with any wet vent, you only need one single dry vent for the whole group (usually off the lav). I have never seen a wet vent that has more than one dry vent that is venting the whole group. This is setting aside additional fixtures that may be individually vented that happen to be discharging into the wet vented system but are not wet vented.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.