Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep Yep.

Your showing your age.......:)

As far as getting lazy, times change fewer and fewer know how to wipe lead joints, pour inverted joints, hand tap a clay tile sewers, use a water levels etc. Times change tools change.
Hell now we can scan and run apps on the fly have code books on a tablet or not so smart phone. :jester:
I'm fairly new to plumbing and have only heard of a water level from a journeyman who was about to retire at the time. I really enjoy working with the guys who have lots of experience, stories and tricks/tips...you learn so much from those guys.

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
He tell you how it worked ?? You know what a whiskey stick is ????
48" spirit level some with adjustable bubble and newer ones with "T" handle. Masons used to pawn them for drinking money, then get em' back on pay day.:w00t:

·
Banned
6,275 Posts
GAN said:
48" spirit level some with adjustable bubble and newer ones with "T" handle. Masons used to pawn them for drinking money, then get em' back on pay day.:w00t:
Not what I was told. I was told a nick name for a level was a whisky stick because. Back in the day they use to fill the bubble with alcohol because it wouldn't freeze.

Some one tell me. Was I lied to?? I don't know ether way. Just what I was told by a older plumber !!

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
Absolutely correct. Which is most likely the reason it took off in Plumbing and Carpentry.

Ya they did have Alcohol in the glass to keep from freezing. You can take this back all the way to the Irish stick fighting.

Funny being A Scot/ Native American,,, how the blasted Irish would get involved huh (Whiskey) go figure....

http://www.oocities.org/glendoyle/bata/

The Masons tie in>>http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/32/messages/335.html

Masons tool>> http://www.mansiontools.com/5-Whiskey-Stick-Level-with-Handle-p/0126-cc425.htm

Endless useless information,,,,,,,:icon_cheesygrin:

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
We all have to start somewhere, I won't be the first to trash Ya.....

I would suggest using a straight edge, or scale rule, your lines will look much better..

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
another element

[
Lets put another element into this thread ... That being the perspective drawing. [like a kitchen proposal] Start with a faint horizontal line at the scale dimension of where you want to view the drawing [assume eye level] then on your drawing board at the extreme edges insert 2 straight pins one on the left, one on the right. Now all vertical lines will be 90 degree off the tee square all other lines will either be drawn to the pin on the left or lines coming at you will be drawn to the pin on the right. The whole thing is called a vanishing point drawing.

·
Banned
6,275 Posts
PLUMBER_BILL said:
[
Lets put another element into this thread ... That being the perspective drawing. [like a kitchen proposal] Start with a faint horizontal line at the scale dimension of where you want to view the drawing [assume eye level] then on your drawing board at the extreme edges insert 2 straight pins one on the left, one on the right. Now all vertical lines will be 90 degree off the tee square all other lines will either be drawn to the pin on the left or lines coming at you will be drawn to the pin on the right. The whole thing is called a vanishing point drawing.
Say hu???? You've got show me this plz

·
Registered
379 Posts
[
Learned to do it that way back in the 70's,now all you need is a free piece of software like Google Sketchup

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have to draw Iso's all the time and if you have some basic computer skill, Microsoft Excel is the perfect platform. Its very quick and even looks slightly professional.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
Learned to do it that way back in the 70's,now all you need is a free piece of software like Google Sketchup
Yep SketchUp works great.

·
PHD in 60105P
232 Posts
man I still haven't drawn an iso on a computer. They aren't hard to draw on paper though the worst part is all the tedious stuff otherwise just follow the compass and you should do alright.

·
TEXAS MASTER PLUMBER
84 Posts
Who can draw an ISO ?

·
TEXAS MASTER PLUMBER
84 Posts
Really. Wish I could say that I learned at a required class for my j man test

·
Registered
151 Posts
Draw a X in the corner of your paper and then a vertical line straight up through the middle of the X. The vert. line represents any up/down piping. Then the lines of the X mark North,South,East and West. Start drawing lines to match the N,S,E,W, coordinates.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts