Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any opinions on Plumbers Success International? We currently run a primarily new construction company and would like to build our service business. We were approached by this company and attended their seminar. They are VERY expensive, but they do seem to offer a good starting point. I haven't been able to find any information on them other than what they have published themselves - which of course is all good. Does anyone have any real opinions on this company and if they are worth their steep price?

·
Banned
913 Posts
My opinion is no. All costs a company incurs eventually get passed on to the consumer. Considering current economic conditions, I believe it would be very hard to pass PSI expenses on and still be profitable. Rumor has it that the local PSI plumbing company is in a lot of debt and in danger of going under.

Franchises offer a lot too; however, Ben Franklin and ARS are struggling. Why? They have a great business model, but their prices (though justified) are too high! No one wants to pay you for your natl. advertising campaign, your valpak coupons, your big YP ad, or franchise fees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback...I went to a seminar in Dallas and they made it sound like an offer I could not refuse. I take it you are familiar with the organization. Have you been to a seminar? How did you hear about them? I have not signed up yet. I am still on the fence.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I worked for a psi company for a few months, but I quit. He had a 4 truck operation at one point, and now he has nothing and he moved out of the area. He was notorious for being insanely expensive and a bit of a con-artist if you ask me. So it wasn't really PSI's fault that he failed.
But my experience with PSI was negative overall.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
PSI is Mike Diamond's baby. Mike has done more for our industry than any man has ever done. His shops are the ultimate in absolutely everything. His pricing methods are beyond compare...literally. I read his column first thing every month.

He's got a skin so thick that I doubt anything bothers him. Him being a Jewish gay with parents as business partners would toughen anyone up. :laughing:

That business model may work if you are in a huge city, but no way in a small town/county. We have a Roto-Rooter and that's it for franchises because the area isn't exactly SoCal.

I'm not spending on anything except my current ads. The phones aren't ringing because people aren't buying---me included.

Reactions: ckoch407

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
PSI is Mike Diamond's baby. Mike has done more for our industry than any man has ever done. His shops are the ultimate in absolutely everything. His pricing methods are beyond compare...literally. I read his column first thing every month.

He's got a skin so thick that I doubt anything bothers him. Him being a Jewish gay with parents as business partners would toughen anyone up. :laughing:

That business model may work if you are in a huge city, but no way in a small town/county. We have a Roto-Rooter and that's it for franchises because the area isn't exactly SoCal.

I'm not spending on anything except my current ads. The phones aren't ringing because people aren't buying---me included.
For those of us who have watched Mike Diamond Plumbing grow up and take over the then failing George Brazil Plumbing we may have a different take of what Mike and George has done for our industry. Google Mike Diamond or George Brazil Plumbing reviews and you will see what the majority of the public think of them.

Mark

·
4,710 Posts
The public seems to have a distaste for their "Premium Pricing"
I could maybe buy that if there were a couple of positive reviews. However, as the reviews all are bad I believe it has little to do with ligitimate "Premium Pricing". As you do not work in this area I will assume you are not aware of these companies personally.

Mark

·
Banned
913 Posts
PSI is a sales machine. Of course the presentation is outstanding, 'where do I sign on the dotted line?' For what they charge, they can afford the best of the best salesman. You sign before you run all the numbers, but hey, you are hopped up and you will make it back tenfold.

You do the training, then you try to sell it to your customers. It's not as easy as they made it look. Doesn't seem to work so well for you and when it does work, you feel like you need a shower afterwards. Then you want to modify the system so you can sleep at night - BUT NO YOU CAN'T - PSI wants their money. Use their system and play the game their way.

Most cannot stomach what they do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Plumbcrazy - Do you have personal experience with them? I've really been wanting to talk to someone who has been with the company and left. Obviously at the "summit" all of the plumbers involved had only good things to say about PSI. Then, when I googled looking for reviews it seemed weird how little was published about them other than their own press releases. That's part of what made us skeptical in the first place. Especially considering all of the negative responses that have come back so quickly on this forum. Anyway, thanks for the insight either way.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
When did sales become a dirty word? We, as plumbers, sell or should be selling all the time. If I tell a customer that I can "repair this for this price, or replace it with a "good" grade for this price, a "better" grade for this price, or "best" grade for this price, I am selling and I am doing business the proper and right way. Why do we always assume we know what the customer wants? I always, as a consumer, want as many options as I can get. Give me the info and let me decide. Well guess what, when we do this for our customers, we are selling our products and services. If I go on a drain call and clear a ks drain I charge X for that. If I turn around and offer the customer some Bio"stuff" because I believe it will help them in the future, I am selling and it is in the customer's best interest for me to do so.

Now if I'm frightening old ladies into purchasing things they don't need then I am not selling, I am extorting. If Mrs. Jones has a dripping ks faucet, I go to my truck and retrieve a brand new, beautiful, stylish, ks faucet. I then explain that I can repair her old faucet for X with X warranty, then I open the box and pull out the new faucet and I explain that I can install this faucet for X with X warranty. I am selling. I did not tell Mrs. Jones that she NEEDED OR HAD TO HAVE a new faucet, but I am certainly going to offer her one. If she says "no, just repair the old one" then I will.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When did sales become a dirty word?

I completely agree with what you are saying. Sales is a big part of being successful, maybe the biggest, and its not a bad thing. My reservations lie mainly in the overhead brought in automatically when joining PSI - because my competition will not have that overhead. In this economy I worry that no matter what I offer customers the bottom line will be that I charge more - because I will have to to cover my costs. We are in a small town environment where word of mouth is probably #1 advertising. I worry that especially in this type of area people will not get past the high pricing. It is so important to know your costs and charge what you need to to cover them. No one needs to feel bad about that even if it does put their prices over and above the one man operations and those who are throwing out crazy low prices right now to keep going even though it will probably put them out of business in the near future. I guess its just the idea of charging more to cover the costs of joining PSI that I'm struggling with. And I really want to be sure that the return can cover the costs in this market.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
He is gay?
Yeah.

Damn and I thought I was disturbing!
You are.

For those of us who have watched Mike Diamond Plumbing grow up and take over the then failing George Brazil Plumbing we may have a different take of what Mike and George has done for our industry. Google Mike Diamond or George Brazil Plumbing reviews and you will see what the majority of the public think of them.

Mark
Mark, you could be the cheapest and best plumber in town and you'll get complaints and bad reviews. I got a one star review on Google Maps about a 250.00 bid that I don't even remember doing. MD doesn't care is someone can't afford his service---his plumbing service---he does care about those who can.

His plumbers have a price book and a work order. Everything is transparent and the customer can always say no.

Reactions: ckoch407

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have noticed through working with companies that use PSI, the sales idea is "We are the Nordstrom of Plumbing"....Conveying that idea in the service you provide as I have heard in a number of companies is that is how they can justify their pricing...So if that helps and gives some food for thought then so be it....Keep in mind, it is hard for folks to buy off on Nordstrom plumbing when Walmart can provide me what I "Need"...It is the way the sale is handled for sure but at the same time, if you can handle sale without all the hype, give the great service in order to make your overhead figures work, then you are already ahead of the game.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What I'm curious about is what happens to these companies during a recession. How many Nordstroms shoppers are now at Walmart because of the economy? And where we are the average income is in the 20-30,000/yr bracket (and just to keep the analogy going...the nearest Nordstroms is 2 hours away - there are two Walmarts in 10 miles). Its funny that you mention MD not caring about the people who can't afford his service. This was one of the points that was brought up at Summit, and my business partner and I argued about. He was totally on board with that philosophy. I, however, think that at this time we can't afford to care only about the people who can afford "Nordstroms" pricing. There just aren't enough of them out there. Especially for those of us in small towns. Bottom Line...as Plumbcrazy brought up in the beginning...will this kind of business plan work in "small town America" or just in the big cities? I was not able to make it to summit, but my partner was. I would have loved to have posed that question to PSI.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Correct.

At some point you have to stop being a salesman and fix the damn repair like you was called out to do.

It doesn't hurt though to point out problems, but don't take it to excess. I catch myself doing this but I'm geared to make the most out of a job while I'm there, and I do quite well with this format, but then again I've rubbed people the wrong way trying to edge the call up, even though it was legitimate what I was pointing out and what they was willing to fix.

So often I enter a home with numerous plumbing problems and I'll readily let them know, but they explain that this is what I want fixed, that's it.

If you act sore about that notion, you'll definitely lose that customer because you tried to obligate them.

It doesn't happen often in my crib, but it's apparent that it does happen sometimes.

·
4,710 Posts
Mark, you could be the cheapest and best plumber in town and you'll get complaints and bad reviews. I got a one star review on Google Maps about a 250.00 bid that I don't even remember doing. MD doesn't care is someone can't afford his service---his plumbing service---he does care about those who can.

His plumbers have a price book and a work order. Everything is transparent and the customer can always say no.
Fair enough, that is the same argument George Brazil gave me when I was visiting with him on the way to the National PHCC show back in the 80s. However, since I work in MD's neighborhood I have been to jobs behind them. I also know "techs" and dispatchers who have worked for him. Let's just say my experience goes a little beyond the expert marketing model most see. You can say what you want about his prices but if his men don't preform, where's the value? When I pay for a Lincoln I am more than a little disappointed when I end up with a Yugo.

Mark

1 - 20 of 191 Posts