Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a journeyman's license with Minnesota. I decided to take the master test for Colorado. I planned on just a few weeks of studying their textbooks (IPC, IRC for 1 and 2 family). I didn't expect this amount of difference between these code books.

What is the method for water pipe sizing IPC in Colorado?
Drain Sizing?

Is there a video on you tube that describes this?
or internet link?

In MN for water pipe sizing there one chart that shows fixture units next to each fixture. One category for private and one for public. There is no separate list of hot or cold. We figure it will to be the same number. (I'm confused about combination value of hot and cold with IPC?) (also no mention of public and private in IPC?)

1. In MN we add up the fixture unit values.
2. We figure the pressure at the building (minus the highest fixture). there are 3 different charts for pressure ranges.
3. Developed length of the furthest fixture

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Most guys I know take a 6 week $1500 +/- class to prep for the test. I think 25 or so years ago when I took mine it was $500. I borrowed a plumbing and gas code books and a couple of study books and was able to pass Journeyman, Class I and Class II exams in 1 day. I did not want to do the work required by the prep course. Reportedly it is 6 weekends of homework hell. Maybe I scored an 80? Doesn't matter as it was enough.

I think I studied for a month or 2 pretty regularly in the evenings. You can do it if you have a few weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using the 2018 IPC and the 2018 IRC code books. Can anyone point me to a page number and say "this is the chart to use and here is how to use it?"
thanks

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,667 Posts
It was not that hard a test to take a long time ago in 1984.... (probably before you were born)
Water issues were not high on the agenda... Mostly from what I remember it was drain and venting
buildings were more what they focused on.... wet venting ect.......
I passed it it on the first try.... good luck .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts