Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Dude if you really are making all that much why thuh phuk would you want to go and mess that up by working for yourself? When you own your own business you are on call 24/7, and the worries don't end when your head hits the pillow. Now, you punch out and that is it. There are some benefits to owning your own buiness, but you work, or worry, twice as hard for every dollar. You not only have to worry about your own work, but that of all your guys, who you were not there to supervise. Some of them may give a schitt, but some are only there for the paycheck and will get away with whatever they can. It is nice to be ambitious, and maybe you will be one of the few to develop that multimillion dollar buisness, but you need to ask yourself if you REALLY need more than 160 K to be happy.
I hear ya. That’s why I’ve been trying to find out what an average is. I know I make really good money but it’s also about having more freedom in my life without having to always ask permission. Why make 160k if I can make 250k

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,596 Posts
It’s 6 in one and 1/2 dozen in the other..
You can make what ever you want-if you can, and or are willing to put in the time/years to build yourself to that point.
It’s DEF not going to happen overnight unless you have a lot of expendable income to throw at a new business.
Good luck, it’s cut throat out there.

I work for myself, I make WAY more then I ever did, working for any company..
but I also have alot more responsibilities, and headaches..
I spend 50-70hr a week working,
always answering my phone, organizing/setting up work, doing paper work, doing this or that, paying bills/ppl etc..
even when I’m not working, I’m working.
you always need to be setting up work for the future days/weeks ahead..
there is ALWAYS a lot to do..

On the flip side- I also take a lot of time off like Fridays/weekends. I prob take off 12-16 weeks a year in total(but I’m still working) And the weeks I don’t take off I work 5.5-6 + days a week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It’s 6 in one and 1/2 dozen in the other..
You can make what ever you want-if you can, and or are willing to put in the time/years to build yourself to that point.
It’s DEF not going to happen overnight unless you have a lot of expendable income to throw at a new business.
Good luck, it’s cut throat out there.

I work for myself, I make WAY more then I ever did, working for any company..
but I also have alot more responsibilities, and headaches..
I spend 50-70hr a week working,
always answering my phone, organizing/setting up work, doing paper work, doing this or that, paying bills/ppl etc..
even when I’m not working, I’m working.
you always need to be setting up work for the future days/weeks ahead..
there is ALWAYS a lot to do..

On the flip side- I also take a lot of time off like Fridays/weekends. I prob take off 12-16 weeks a year in total(but I’m still working) And the weeks I don’t take off I work 5.5-6 + days a week.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I work for myself,
I run a plumbing business,
I employ a few guys.
Myself and my guys are living comfortably
The biggest thing for me is still making around the same money but also having more time in my life. I’m from Australia and I am use to more time of a year than what I’m allowed to have off here in Phoenix Arizona.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,596 Posts
I cant answer that question for you.
its something you’ll have to commit to and see if it’s better then What you had..
100% of the time your don’t try you fail.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
The biggest thing for me is still making around the same money but also having more time in my life. I’m from Australia and I am use to more time of a year than what I’m allowed to have off here in Phoenix Arizona.
If you're really a valuable employee your boss will understand your need for more time off and will be willing to work with you.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a bachelor's degree from a university and have been working for a major company. I quit that job just a couple of months ago after working for them for a year. Now I am looking to get my contractors/business license. 4+ years of experience is needed to get the CA BS license but with the 2-year degree, I need only 2 years of experience as the bachelor's degree will be added as experience.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
I have a bachelor's degree from a university and have been working for a major company. I quit that job just a couple of months ago after working for them for a year. Now I am looking to get my contractors/business license. 4+ years of experience is needed to get the California contractors license, but with the 2-year degree, I need only 2 years of experience as the bachelor's degree will be added as experience.
you are skating on thin ice. I replied to your last post stating the forum rules. Post a proper intro or you’re out of here.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts