Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey been plumbing 10 years. 4 years in NY and 6 in Phoenix. I got journeymen license 5 years ago. Mostly do residential service and looking to start my own thing. The thing I hate most about plumbing is running a cable and the thing I love most is working with gas.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
Hey been plumbing 10 years. 4 years in NY and 6 in Phoenix. I got journeymen license 5 years ago. Mostly do residential service and looking to start my own thing. The thing I hate most about plumbing is running a cable and the thing I love most is working with gas.
What’s required in your area? In Michigan you need a master’s and contractor’s license. I know NY is all screwed up with licensing, county to county. What are the requirements of going on your own in AZ? Gas license? Plumbing license? Contractor license? I honestly don’t know the laws down there.

Going on your own is a big step. I ran two small plumbing companies when I decided to go on my own. Thought I knew what I was doing. Nope. Figured it out with help. Running a business is not the same as owning a business.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What’s required in your area? In Michigan you need a master’s and contractor’s license. I know NY is all screwed up with licensing, county to county. What are the requirements of going on your own in AZ? Gas license? Plumbing license? Contractor license? I honestly don’t know the laws down there.

Going on your own is a big step. I ran two small plumbing companies when I decided to go on my own. Thought I knew what I was doing. Nope. Figured it out with help. Running a business is not the same as owning a business.
You just need to have been in the trade for four years and get a contractors license.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
Sounds as bad as Michigan! 125 multiple choice, open book, 2 hours to complete for masters. We have some really sh!ty plumbers here now!

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Sounds as bad as Michigan! 125 multiple choice, open book, 2 hours to complete for masters. We have some really sh!ty plumbers here now!
How easy was it for you to pass?

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
I have taken my contractors test yet as I’m still trying to find out what solo owners make. I’m currently making 160k a year where I’m at now and I’m try to see what the average take home is
What you can make solo is all about you and your overhead. Do you want to work 60 hours a week? Do you have the customer base to do so?

Black over lightning strike?!! Material costs more, but labor is a tenth of the cost! Up your labor cost and be a winner.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I have taken my contractors test yet as I’m still trying to find out what solo owners make. I’m currently making 160k a year where I’m at now and I’m try to see what the average take home is
Are you commission or hourly? If hourly are you working overtime?

·
Super Moderator
12,505 Posts

That's it? Only $160,000 per year? Why so low?

What, are you a slacker or something?.....LOL

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Are you a solo plumber with your own business? Trying to find out what is the average take home I could expect if I was to work for myself
Yes he is, but we’re not going to tell you what we make especially with you being a new guy. How much you make depends on how much you want to work. I try and work only 6-7 hours a day, no on call and no weekends except for good customers.
Just remember when you work for yourself everything you sell you have to do yourself. No selling a big dig up, collecting your commission and having the apprentices do the job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes he is, but we’re not going to tell you what we make especially with you being a new guy. How much you make depends on how much you want to work. I try and work only 6-7 hours a day, no on call and no weekends except for good customers.
Just remember when you work for yourself everything you sell you have to do yourself. No selling a big dig up, collecting your commission and having the apprentices do the job.
I get it and I appreciate the info.

·
4th year apprentice
693 Posts
Dude if you really are making all that much why thuh phuk would you want to go and mess that up by working for yourself? When you own your own business you are on call 24/7, and the worries don't end when your head hits the pillow. Now, you punch out and that is it. There are some benefits to owning your own buiness, but you work, or worry, twice as hard for every dollar. You not only have to worry about your own work, but that of all your guys, who you were not there to supervise. Some of them may give a schitt, but some are only there for the paycheck and will get away with whatever they can. It is nice to be ambitious, and maybe you will be one of the few to develop that multimillion dollar buisness, but you need to ask yourself if you REALLY need more than 160 K to be happy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts