Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good point Ron. Excuse my manners.

Trout Lake is a place in the Kootenays of British Columbia. The air is clean and the fish are mean. Next to work, it's my favourite pats time.
I'm old.......just exactly how old depends on who you ask. The Doctor who delivered me took a tea break at 11:15 pm after pulling for an hour and a half. If he'd have been more diligent, I'd be a day older. I'm somewhere around 63.
I've a pretty good plumber and have dealt with most aspects of the business. I like sharing tips with the young guys that know it all and enjoy learning from some of them that are confident in their own skins and have mastered their trade.
I'm a hell of a good gas fitter and have done most all aspects of the trade. From simple oil and gas furnaces to piping a pulp mill. I especially like the engineering side of the business. I have an Industrial grade Class A license with an electrical endorsement for controls wiring. I did a stint as a Provincial gas inspector and only lasted 11 months. I absolutely wasn't cut out to be bureaucrat. I couldn't mould myself to the rental-cop mentality you truly need for a job like that. I quit and went back into private practice (so to speak).
I ran my own business for many years and retired last year. I went back to work 6 months after retirement for a industrial HVAC company where I live. I really enjoy it. They got some great young people and treat them fairly.
My favourite plumbing story:
I'm doing a hot water tank for a Korean customer a few years back. I'm getting ready to button things up and I cant get the line to stop dripping. As this was a time before skark-bites, I need to resort to my bag of tricks. I remember an old plumber telling me many years ago that if the pipe won't stop leaking, stick a small piece of bread in the line to absorb the water long enough for you to get a bead on it.
So I ask the Korean "can you go and get me a small piece of bread?"
"Bread", he says. "Ya, I say, a small piece of bread and preferably not a crust". With that he heads upstairs. He comes back a few minutes later with no bread in his hand. He says to me in English you could hardly understand. "my wife say she make you sammich."
A very kind offer that I needless to say declined.

good chatting
trout lake

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Welcome to PZ

·
Registered
567 Posts
Welcome to the Zone Troutlake....That's a good story. How bout that Sammich??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome. My wife and I were up in your parts last summer when we went to see a football game in Seattle. We wish that we would have dedicated more time to your territory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts