Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
My son has been involved in human resources in a few tech companies (his specialty is compensation algorithms). Even in start ups with exponential growth, the hiring process is rigorous.
The old adage, One rotten apple can spoil the whole barrel seems to be very true in his line of work.

·
Registered
Plumbing Parts Manufacturing
126 Posts
My son has been involved in human resources in a few tech companies (his specialty is compensation algorithms). Even in start ups with exponential growth, the hiring process is rigorous.
The old adage, One rotten apple can spoil the whole barrel seems to be very true in his line of work.
This topic probably deserves its own thread.

It gets down to culture. Every company has a culture. Either you define it and are intentional about it or you let the others in the organization define it - usually not in a good way. You have to start with being intentional with your mission, vision and values.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
............ You have to start with being intentional with your mission, vision and values.

And when you use words like that you sound like a corporate phagget and everyone turns their ears off.

Why would your employees relate with you when you use words and phrases that sound so foreign?

Reactions: Tango

·
Registered
126 Posts
And when you use words like that you sound like a corporate phagget and everyone turns their ears off.

Why would your employees relate with you when you use words and phrases that sound so foreign?
I don't think they are "corporate" words honestly. We are very intentional with everything we do. We use the mission, vision and values as a filter for how we behave as an organization. They are part of the "why we exist."

We have 2 team meetings a month. The begining of the month is for team member recognition (birthdays, work anniversaries, etc.), the second for team building. We bring in lunch and focus on culture. 25+ team members and they are pretty sold out to the organization. It shows in how we treat our customers and the relationships we have with team members and customers.

Here's the deal, we are trying to be as different from corporate nonsense as possible. It's why when we have a job opening, in a town of 11k people (30k in the county) we have 50 applicants. I have hired team members that have taken a pay cut to come work for us. They want to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

There is much more detail. I am just scraping the surface.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I don't think they are "corporate" words honestly. We are very intentional with everything we do. We use the mission, vision and values as a filter for how we behave as an organization. They are part of the "why we exist."

We have 2 team meetings a month. The begining of the month is for team member recognition (birthdays, work anniversaries, etc.), the second for team building. We bring in lunch and focus on culture. 25+ team members and they are pretty sold out to the organization. It shows in how we treat our customers and the relationships we have with team members and customers.

Here's the deal, we are trying to be as different from corporate nonsense as possible. It's why when we have a job opening, in a town of 11k people (30k in the county) we have 50 applicants. I have hired team members that have taken a pay cut to come work for us. They want to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

There is much more detail. I am just scraping the surface.
I wasn't saying it was indicative of your company in particular, just saying it's a problem with many corporations. I've been at places like that and it's infuriating because it just sounds like some manager blowing smoke up your ass instead of actually putting in the work to develop a friendly relationship with you.

Your company exists for one reason, to make money. Want the employees to be happy? Treat them like real people and pay them what they deserve, end of story.

The company doesn't exist to make the customer or anyone else happy, or to uphold a mission, or to push some value system on other people. You make the customer and your employees happy because it helps you make money. You have a code of conduct so everyone involved knows what is expected of them and what they can expect from other people.

·
Super Moderator
8,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I wasn't saying it was indicative of your company in particular, just saying it's a problem with many corporations. I've been at places like that and it's infuriating because it just sounds like some manager blowing smoke up your ass instead of actually putting in the work to develop a friendly relationship with you.

Your company exists for one reason, to make money. Want the employees to be happy? Treat them like real people and pay them what they deserve, end of story.

The company doesn't exist to make the customer or anyone else happy, or to uphold a mission, or to push some value system on other people. You make the customer and your employees happy because it helps you make money. You have a code of conduct so everyone involved knows what is expected of them and what they can expect from other people.
That company I worked for in SoCal had about 30 employees outside of the office on average. We would have one to two new hires a week with around the same amount quitting in the same week. I swore I’d never be in the plumbing trade again because of them and their practices! Fortunately I made my way back. And I’m right where I want to be, practically a cherry picker. Today I worked 4 hours and a weeks profit working for someone else. Flat rate bit me in the arse today. Spent 2 hours trying to open a kitchen line under the slab. Cabled it 35-45’ three times which should be almost to the septic, blow bagged for a good 15 minutes and still wouldn’t drain 100%. Up sold a can of bioclean and a new disposal.

I’m glad that I got back into plumbing!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your company exists for one reason, to make money.
The company doesn't exist to make the customer or anyone else happy, or to uphold a mission, or to push some value system on other people.
I will agree to disagree. I think the company can have a bigger purpose. I think serving my employees and my customers is about more than just making money. If we take care of those two things we can be better and have more loyalty (and make more money). If I am only concerned about money, I am not concerned about people and then I will look like publicly traded companies that are more concerned about this quarter than I am about the company long after I am gone.

Here is an example. One of our core values is "Serve Others." We define it and then say what it looks like in the organization (I attached it). One of the things we do because of this is give up to 8 hours of PTO for 8 hours of service time at a local non-profit. You can do this every six months. This doesn't make us any money - the opposite. The goal with this is many-fold. I want team members, especially the younger ones to experience what it looks like to serve - to be outward facing, not inward looking. This also helps our community be stronger. We live here, we work here, we need to help make it better. We also do this as an optional team function once a year with the local homeless shelter for half a day. This gives more opportunity for team building in our organization.

So while we HAVE TO make money and be profitable TO EXIST, that doesn't mean it is the reason we exist.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I will agree to disagree. I think the company can have a bigger purpose. I think serving my employees and my customers is about more than just making money. If we take care of those two things we can be better and have more loyalty (and make more money). If I am only concerned about money, I am not concerned about people and then I will look like publicly traded companies that are more concerned about this quarter than I am about the company long after I am gone.

Here is an example. One of our core values is "Serve Others." We define it and then say what it looks like in the organization (I attached it). One of the things we do because of this is give up to 8 hours of PTO for 8 hours of service time at a local non-profit. You can do this every six months. This doesn't make us any money - the opposite. The goal with this is many-fold. I want team members, especially the younger ones to experience what it looks like to serve - to be outward facing, not inward looking. This also helps our community be stronger. We live here, we work here, we need to help make it better. We also do this as an optional team function once a year with the local homeless shelter for half a day. This gives more opportunity for team building in our organization.

So while we HAVE TO make money and be profitable TO EXIST, that doesn't mean it is the reason we exist.
In my area we have a good number of companies that charge astronomical rates. I honestly have no idea how they stay in business! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked for a second opinion after they’ve been there. I once had a guy call, charged him less than $1k to clean/video his main and kitchen line. The other company wanted $12k replace the main and cut down the tree the HO bought the house because of. He was a botanist.

I’ve had many jobs at his house and he’s referred me a ton of times! While I made less than $11+k of what the other company would’ve on the first job, I gained respect and endless supply of new customers.

To make money in business is to change what you need to to make your expected income after expenses based on an average hours per year. The next aspect is customer satisfaction, loyalty and likelihood of a referral. The second can also dictate the first.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
125 Posts
We have to find an employee that’s willing

That right there is the hardest part.

AMEN TO THAT,,,, Who knew that it could be so hard to find an experienced plumber who can pass a criminal background check, have a good driving record, who does not use illegal drugs, who does not abuse alcohol and who will show up to work on time every time.

Reactions: skoronesa

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
He wants to sell, and health wise, needs to. I’ve said this before. He now has an offer of $50k cash up front and probably three months until the buyer gets his master’s license and contractors license. I’m sure there will be other stipulations.

My Master mentioned buying my business, buying a jetter, one more truck, and basically own a drain cleaning business with me as his employee?

I definitely have some terms! I’m on the fence. There has to be one more competent guy I can train. We know one, but he’s either going to work for the guy or work for his uncle in HVAC.

I want to keep my customers, and the ability to charge my price minus overhead.

Lots to think about.
Noooo,this isn't gonna work,if you don't buy his business then you are gaining nothing,if you can't afford his business get your masters lic and whatever else you need and do it all

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Going into business with another guy is never a good idea, where I come from there's always 1 of the 2 who slacks off and cheats the other. Being a minority doesn't it make the other guy your boss and veto every idea you have?
Partnerships have a life expectancy of 5yrs and that is it

·
Registered
9,564 Posts
me and the wife also have a system,if she wants sex she reaches over and pulls on it 2 times,and if she dosent want sex she reaches over and pulls on it 75 times ,lolololololo
skoso has the same system, but he had to shave his mustache for opensights...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts