Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we install pex here we have to hydrostatic test to 200 psi but this voids manufactor warranty. Anyway around this?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
They approve a material then make you use it in a way for which is wasn't designed and void the warranty. I'm not attorney but they may well be liable.
Perhaps, but if you document it there is no grey area.

Not only that, but if they refuse to sign then GJ has a basis for refusing to compromise the integrity of the product, it puts the ball in their court to prove it doesn't void the warranty.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
What is Hydronic testing? If it is an air test to ensure no leaks the code I believe it states "Working Pressure" for the test.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
What is Hydronic testing? If it is an air test to ensure no leaks the code I believe it states "Working Pressure" for the test.
Hydrostatic. Flood the system and use a hydrostatic pump to pump it up to 200psi. Its code down here for all potable water systems inside the walls to be tested at 200 psi. Not working pressure at least for here. I have pumped PEX up to 200psi, but I was very leary of it. Inspector said it had to be tested and he threw the code book on me.... I would be curious to know how they will answer it when you show the man. warrenty issues.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They approve a material then make you use it in a way for which is wasn't designed and void the warranty. I'm not attorney but they may well be liable.
Good idea, if you don't have a hydrostatic tester then you can use a pressure washer. I used a pressure washer on a 12" water main in Guam and it worked just fine.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Here they only have to test the water supply and the designed working pressure.

·
Registered
843 Posts
When they first came out with Polybutylene here, the state insisted that we had to have hydrostatic pumps and pump everything up to 120 or more. Maybe it was 140 - been a long time ago.

So I bought the pump and shortly later they decided that working pressure was fine. ::blert::

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
200psi potable water test is kinda silly. . . if it won't hold at 60psi (average water pressure here) then it won't hold at 200psi. . .here, we test domestic water piping to the "minimal working pressure" and the highest we go is 100psi on CPVC that has been installed under ground.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
200psi potable water test is kinda silly. . . if it won't hold at 60psi (average water pressure here) then it won't hold at 200psi. . .here, we test domestic water piping to the "minimal working pressure" and the highest we go is 100psi on CPVC that has been installed under ground.
It might be silly but its code here....

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Since this is a plumbing forum and not a construction forum all I can say is I had an argument with an inspector about windows and their method of installation vs the inspectors version. Called his boss and asked who will be responsioble if it fails. Installed them according to the manufacturers specifications. End of story!

Call his boss and ask him who is responsible then. May be surprised.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Doesnt Manuf Recomended Specs Overide City Ordinence

Yes here they do. Manufacture installation directions override all codes.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Here installation instructions will supersede our code, if the code supersedes the installations instructions and you install it not to there specs, it will void all warranties.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts