Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Master Plumber
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed a few inline softening systems before, but it's been awhile, and I deff. don't sell many of them.

One of my customers house is extremely small, and really doesn't have the room for tank style softener. Anybody have any recommendations on inline style filters or softeners for hard water? Wheres the best place to order them, and how often do you have to buy a new cartridge.

Thanks for any input. I appreciate it guys!

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
The only thing that will soften water is a softener and when I mean soften- remove the hardness causing minerals such as lime, calcium, etc. This can only be achieved by ion exchange which is how a water softener softens water. Now if she is just looking to improve taste and get rid of minor odors, a small carbon filter is all she needs.

sent from the jobsite porta-potty

Reactions: Dun' Right

·
Master Plumber
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen and installed filter systems that claimed to soften water, however that was back when I was working for a company and I wasn't involved in the ordering and don't even remember a name.

Keep in mind I'm no expert in filtration area (in case you haven't picked up on it already) lol

Another question for everybody.

When using a carbon filter is it a good idea to have water ran through a sediment filter before the carbon filter? I know alot of places have filter pods that have both of them on it. Where's a good place to buy something like this? I got the call after the supply house closed so not sure what is available in my area. Just trying to get some recommendations and a head start on tomorrows search.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Dun' Right said:
I've seen and installed filter systems that claimed to soften water, however that was back when I was working for a company and I wasn't involved in the ordering and don't even remember a name.

Keep in mind I'm no expert in filtration area (in case you haven't picked up on it already) lol

When using a carbon filter is it a good idea to have water ran through a sediment filter before the carbon filter? I know alot of places have filter pods that have both of them on it. Where's a good place to buy something like this? I got the call after the supply house closed so not sure what is available in my area. Just trying to get some recommendations and a head start on tomorrows search.
Carbon filter is mostly to remove sediments, improve taste and oders.. not the hardness removal... and MUST be changed often to get the full benifit from it.

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
Dun' Right said:

Just a carbon filter is fine, the carbon will actually take out small amounts of sediment anyway, You can get a good quality filter sump and carbon filter from any supplier- remember a carbon filter won't soften the water. You could even get a small in/out carbon tank- this would last a lot longer then a carbon cartridge.

If it were me- I would find some place to install a softener in the house and you could carbon top the Softeners resin bed, this would give her softwater and take out undesirable tastes, odors, and sediment.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
if you want to attack the hardness only why not look for a decent descaler that changes the carbonate to a bicarbonate? Relatively small size and the customer still gets to drink the calcium and magnesium they require. They still have hard water however it will not destroy the plumbing.

Check out H2O concepts for the descaler.

·
Banned
4,341 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
liked the idea of a by pass valve when the filtration system goes down.

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
I like clack products the best, clack 9 by 48 tank with clack head. With a carbon topped resin bead.

image-1927107294.jpg

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
liked the idea of a by pass valve when the filtration system goes down.
That was the second rhino I installed. The 2nd pic was the first one, guy kept saying he wanted a bypass after the installation and never justified me coming back to put it in. Solely for the reason for uninterrupted water service while changing the prefilter.

·
Master Plumber
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, another question. What whole house filter do you guys use? Looking for a whole house carbon filter system.

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
Dun' Right said:
Ok, another question. What whole house filter do you guys use? Looking for a whole house carbon filter system.
If you are looking for a maintaince friendly system that will last, get a in/out carbon block filter. I'll post a pic in a little.

If it was me-I would strongly recommend that you install a softener with carbon top- that will soften the water and remove tastes and odors. An 8 by 44 tank would be perfect and only need to be repacked every few years.

image-1619990922.jpg

8 by 44 is the center tank

All you need is a place about 12 inches wide by 58 inches high for a softener- 9 by 48 tank.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Check out the NUVO H2O system. Fergies carries them.
I installed two last year and one this year. Feedback from all three customers has been positive.
The first one I sold I added the first filter change at six months for free. They were very impressed with the system.
They install easy and in a small area. Change the filter every six months or sooner if they use a lot of water and their good to go.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've installed a few of the magnetic descalers, They have been tested and proved to have less scaling within the water systems, less irritating to dry skin, and allows for more soap suds within raw untreated water.

It will not remove the bicarbonate from the water but will change its structural state which has proved to help.

I always aim for a softener first but in some cases due to space limitations and backwash water restrictions (in our area we can't just dump outsite due to freezing and regulations).

I was skeptical at first but I had a few customers who wanted to use these and they supplied there own knowing that I am only responsible for making sure the unit is installed with no leaks and not the performance of it. Every customer I installed a magnetic descaler for was happy with the outcome, and lab tests have shown it does help for scaling within the domestic water supply and any mechanicals it may come into contact with.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I use E.W.S. water systems. Their carbon + water conditioner works very well if you can deal with the backwash drainage.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I've installed a few of the magnetic descalers, They have been tested and proved to have less scaling within the water systems, less irritating to dry skin, and allows for more soap suds within raw untreated water.

It will not remove the bicarbonate from the water but will change its structural state which has proved to help.

I always aim for a softener first but in some cases due to space limitations and backwash water restrictions (in our area we can't just dump outsite due to freezing and regulations).

I was skeptical at first but I had a few customers who wanted to use these and they supplied there own knowing that I am only responsible for making sure the unit is installed with no leaks and not the performance of it. Every customer I installed a magnetic descaler for was happy with the outcome, and lab tests have shown it does help for scaling within the domestic water supply and any mechanicals it may come into contact with.
I would like to see scientific proof.

Please read through this web site http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ and stop ripping off your customers. :thumbsup: And If you don't believe him, PM me and I will give you 15 years worth of research that covers pretty much every single snake oil water treatment pushed on the unsuspecting public in the past 30 years. NO magnetic descaler on a size that would even fit into most residences can remove or change the composition of water and the minerals in it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts