Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Google pays me to make DIY plumbing videos

Votes: 2 10.5%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone that has seen my plumbing videos online will know that I'm not laying out "how" to do it, just showing the pictures/video of the process without giving the cow and milk away.

I'm thinking about changing this design soon, in the design of "showing" how to do plumbing, only on the lines of plumbing service repair.

Anyone that has posted a response to a plumbing related question on the internet, you've helped 100's if not 1000's of people by that one response. It's a good thing because the MAJORITY pay someone else to do their plumbing. Fact.

To know you've helped someone halfway across the world is a good thing, honorable. Commendable. It's also good when you point out the bad in what's being shown so others are aware of the dangers, improper workmanship.

The internet is the information highway. 80% of all forum content is basically a 'read only' format, with the majority never joining to participate.

There is a lot of money, even though it takes time to gain the measure but there is a lot to be had by site traffic, answering the random questions here and there and sending people back into the internet after they get the information they need.

The very reason I get thanked/appreciated for advice I've given all the way back to 2002 on plumbing forums.

Always remember that when a do it yourselfer has taken the time to seek out information on the internet, there's a 90% chance a plumber had no chance of doing the call to begin with.

I'm not about to tight fist my knowledge base when so many offer it in goodness and charity to help others.

Comparing ourselves to doctors is a little far fetched, and I will say there are some extreme dangers to every profession that excludes the DIY talent from going forward with.

Sometimes just the simple stuff is all people want to task, that's it.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You must be a millionaire ten times over by now and have 80 trucks on the road.... with all that internet traffic

Nope!

Just enough to pick and choose my battles. The rest gets shovelled off to my competition.

I'm about to get a system going where I get paid for those leads. Tired of not getting compensated for the referrals.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Steve, I have made over a dozen plumbing vid's but I don't release them on the internet, they stay in house. 99% of commercially available plumbing & HVAC vid's are just awful. What most gys making them forget is that the host needs to have a decent speaking voice, cadence and be engaging.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Do you want to do it because you enjoy teaching and spreading what you have learned? If yes then why not make the videos and share or market them to other up and coming plumber's apprentices. I really do think our trade is being ruined by us giving out what has taking us years to learn when these people are not even willing to spend the money to pay a professional. will they give their work away? I highly doubt it.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve, I have made over a dozen plumbing vid's but I don't release them on the internet, they stay in house. 99% of commercially available plumbing & HVAC vid's are just awful. What most gys making them forget is that the host needs to have a decent speaking voice, cadence and be engaging.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't posess those talents, and I'll also state "for the record" that my videos would rate at a C or D+ at best.

Do you want to do it because you enjoy teaching and spreading what you have learned? If yes then why not make the videos and share or market them to other up and coming plumber's apprentices. I really do think our trade is being ruined by us giving out what has taking us years to learn when these people are not even willing to spend the money to pay a professional. will they give their work away? I highly doubt it.

To your question?

No. I'm doing it for income only. I would like to cater to 'just' plumbers or aspiring plumbers but they usually don't have money, or money wanting to spend to learn.

As for the the content I'll provide?

Simple stuff. Delta 2 handle faucet rebuild. Fill valve replacement. Flexible stainless steel supply line replacement.

Stuff that the average homeowner can task that's providing the front door to learning.

If you've watched any of my videos, I've purposely shown the "what it looks like" but never the "how did you do that" design.

I've come to the realization that plumbers/plumbing companies continue to put products in their hands that is lessening the trade, making it where everyone is doing plumbing.

Flexible gas line, flexible water line to name just 2. The skill is leaving the profession on the residential front completely.

I should be utilizing my profession to allow me to make as much money as possible and it's the next card in the deck. That and I see where my efforts have provided a lot more good than bad in the long run.

There's a reason why I'm slammed with work to the point where I should consider that the best money made is money that didn't require moving your hands. Kinda where I'm at.

Enforcement is an all time low. Craigslist allows anyone to plumb, legally. We as plumbers know that none of the enforcement or hacks are going to change.

It's just better to play along and make a buck in the interim. At least I can say I'm putting out the good information, not the latter.

It's an idea I'm tossing around... been offered an ability that could work well.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
The following is just the opinion of the user 'Indie' and is by no means a reflection of the management of 'The Plumbing Zone'.

Plumbers who make DIY videos are at the top of my list for traitors in our industry, not sure if they are higher or lower on the list than side-jobbers. I don't care if your making them and distributing them to 1,000 miles away. There are plumbers in that area who can, and will be hurt by that.

The fact is, there is no place for DIY when it comes to certain mechanical work, unless there is a qualified person involved. We do not want to tell someone what they can or can't do with their property, or their money, but the fact remains, some work needs to be done by licensed professionals.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
To your question?

No. I'm doing it for income only. I would like to cater to 'just' plumbers or aspiring plumbers but they usually don't have money, or money wanting to spend to learn.

As for the the content I'll provide?

Simple stuff. Delta 2 handle faucet rebuild. Fill valve replacement. Flexible stainless steel supply line replacement.

Stuff that the average homeowner can task that's providing the front door to learning.

If you've watched any of my videos, I've purposely shown the "what it looks like" but never the "how did you do that" design.

I've come to the realization that plumbers/plumbing companies continue to put products in their hands that is lessening the trade, making it where everyone is doing plumbing.

Flexible gas line, flexible water line to name just 2. The skill is leaving the profession on the residential front completely.

I should be utilizing my profession to allow me to make as much money as possible and it's the next card in the deck. That and I see where my efforts have provided a lot more good than bad in the long run.

There's a reason why I'm slammed with work to the point where I should consider that the best money made is money that didn't require moving your hands. Kinda where I'm at.

Enforcement is an all time low. Craigslist allows anyone to plumb, legally. We as plumbers know that none of the enforcement or hacks are going to change.

It's just better to play along and make a buck in the interim. At least I can say I'm putting out the good information, not the latter.

It's an idea I'm tossing around... been offered an ability that could work well.
I understand where you are coming from. How about making a bunch of videos of things a little better, and market the training videos for the big companies like BF. They only seem to hire warm bodies and only teach them how to sell, but give no technical training? those companies have money to spend on that. I would say it would be a great investment for one of those companies.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The following is just the opinion of the user 'Indie' and is by no means a reflection of the management of 'The Plumbing Zone'.

Plumbers who make DIY videos are at the top of my list for traitors in our industry, not sure if they are higher or lower on the list than side-jobbers. I don't care if your making them and distributing them to 1,000 miles away. There are plumbers in that area who can, and will be hurt by that.

The fact is, there is no place for DIY when it comes to certain mechanical work, unless there is a qualified person involved. We do not want to tell someone what they can or can't do with their property, or their money, but the fact remains, some work needs to be done by licensed professionals.
I agree 100%. I got chewed out(rightfully so) for doing side work because it hurts the trade(which I understand) and I feel this is no different. Any plumbing the homeowner can do themselves, is work a licensed plumber will not be getting.

I like the idea of making educational videos and marketing them to plumbing companies for their apprentices.

·
1,456 Posts
The problem with these instructional videos is that people aren't able to tell which ones are good and which ones are hacks what we need are videos that teach the public what to look for in the plumber that they hired

Also if your making money making videos and your representing your company then I see no problem as far as giving the milk away. I think it can be good advertising, DIY will usually fail and thats when you charge double

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
A sellout of any sorts just plain sucks. That is a problem in this country, people always looking out for the quickest way to make money, screwing whom ever they need to.

Hate to do some soul searching on this, cause I know dang well, I have done some self serving projects, to the detriment of others.

·
Registered
432 Posts
As a service plumber I have told customers how to perform routine maintenance from flappers to faucet repairs to how to change the seal on the fluidmaster and it has in no way slowed business down. I still change their flappers, repair their faucets, and replace their fluidmaster...

I, personally, could never call any free information to the customer detrimental if I give it away for free anyway...

People pay me to do something that they really have no interest in doing...

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My competition and thy enemies keep me well informed of what's right or wrong,

and expect me to once in awhile to throw a really F'd up video out there because those get the highest amount of views. :blink:

I'm soon to turn 500,000 views on youtube with my plumbing channel so by december I'm going after youtube partnership. I'd be foolish not to at this point.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
But given the fact he's helping others by trading information, can you decipher the difference between what he's doing and what I'll be doing in the future?

Information trading is big business, and as you see here on the internet and many other plumbing related forums,

all are open read to anyone that stumbles across them, and since we are all here talking about it, we are sharing information that leads to others tasking work without the talents of a professional.

If this website was set to private like the business lounge, my thoughts would be different in context to the participants of this website.

The plumbers who exercise their belief at top rung to their statements are ones that have never pressed a key on a keyboard in a plumbing forum.

Doesn't mean it was right or wrong, it's just a choosing.

The guy in the video reminds me of myself. He looks worn out... knows his profession well and by the way here is what I want you to know. :thumbsup:
Figured I'd answer your question here.

Can I decipher the difference? Hmmmmm.

You're talking about making DIY vid's for income. I have no idea what his motives are.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can make a buck doing it, knock yourself out. It isn't something I'm interested in but that doesn't make it wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts