Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in NY under IPC. I need to replace 10ft of 4" cast iron storm drain. The 4" is the first drain on the line. It connects to 8" Boston with cleanout. Can i swap the 8" combination fitting out for a 4" combo with cleanout and tie it into the 8" main using 4 x 8 reducer/increaser or transition coupling?

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Im in NY under IPC. I need to replace 10ft of 4" cast iron storm drain. The 4" is the first drain on the line. It connects to 8" Boston with cleanout. Can i swap the 8" combination fitting out for a 4" combo with cleanout and tie it into the 8" main using 4 x 8 reducer/increaser or transition coupling?

Thanks
Nick
So you'd no longer have an 8" cleanout, and instead would only have a 4" cleanout on an 8" line? Doesn't sound legal to me. Pretty sure all cleanouts must be full size.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Nevermind, I was wrong, 4" would be legal.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Yup. Orrrr wouldnt it..... ? I know what the code says. I also know I havent seen what I proposed done. It looks stupid and feels illegal so I thought id ask. Having established that....you think that setup would fly?
Unless you cant get the fitting, why not keep it as a 8x4 wye and have a full size cleanout. Id be pissed if I went to jet it and only had a 4" hole to pull back 8" of crap.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
442 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 4” clean out on an 8” line. We do this all the time and have never failed an inspection for it. We’d typically install an 8x4 wye fitting with a 4” eco every 100’ or at every change of direction greater than 45°

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless you cant get the fitting, why not keep it as a 8x4 wye and have a full size cleanout. Id be pissed if I went to jet it and only had a 4" hole to pull back 8" of crap.
50 year old piping. Cost. Time. Curiosity. The wye is brittle. And not supported its sagging a little. Its buried above a drop cieling in an office of a hospital. It has a previous crack that the house plumbers repaired with a bowl wax ring. They stuffed crack with wax to stop the leak. Not joking. it works except during really hard rain and now whole length is cracked with this new one. And the pipe it has to be repitched and hangers added. The 4" would be easier to work with. Im trying to not touch 8" at all. Thanks for your reply though I was hoping to get more replies, advice, hate mail on this. Should I transfer it to the Code forum?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
50 year old piping. Cost. Time. Curiosity. The wye is brittle. And not supported its sagging a little. Its buried above a drop ciean office An
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 4” clean out on an 8” line. We do this all the time and have never failed an inspection for it. We’d typically install an 8x4 wye fitting with a 4” eco every 100’ or at every change of direction greater than 45°
So just to be clear I talking about changing out a combo 8×4 wye w/ 8th bend and putting in its place a full 4" combo wye w/ 8thbend. This will pick up the first drain on 8" horizontal storm drain. Soil ill have a 4" fitting at the start of the line immed increasing to 8"
Electricity Font Twig Wire Overhead power line

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
50 year old piping. Cost. Time. Curiosity. The wye is brittle. And not supported its sagging a little. Its buried above a drop cieling in an office of a hospital. It has a previous crack that the house plumbers repaired with a bowl wax ring. They stuffed crack with wax to stop the leak. Not joking. it works except during really hard rain and now whole length is cracked with this new one. And the pipe it has to be repitched and hangers added. The 4" would be easier to work with. Im trying to not touch 8" at all. Thanks for your reply though I was hoping to get more replies, advice, hate mail on this. Should I transfer it to the Code forum?
I was under the impression this was outside, in a trench. Clearly no one is going to be jetting in a drop ceiling so do whatever is easiest.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was under the impression this was outside, in a trench. Clearly no one is going to be jetting in a drop ceiling so do whatever is easiest.
Yeah its not even inspected..I never did this. But it seems like it can be done code wise. Unless...the 4" run on the the 8" main is seen somehow as a reduction of size in the direction of flow.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don’t know your code but pretty sure in my code UPC you only need full size clean out up to 4”. And it’s common to have 4” clean out going into a 6” line. Actually all the sewer tie ins are like that here. They run 6” clay to the property line and reduce to 4” with a clean out on the riser.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
442 Posts
The only potential issue I see with this is the possibility that the 4” roof drain was replace at some point and used to be larger, and now is under sized. If you’ve calculated the roof area served by the 4” drain and its within the capacity I see no issues here. I will agree with you that the transition from 4” to 8” looks odd, but only because the 8” is grossly oversized not because the 4” is too small.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
So you'd no longer have an 8" cleanout, and instead would only have a 4" cleanout on an 8" line? Doesn't sound legal to me. Pretty sure all cleanouts must be full size.
In ky we have to have full size cleanouts in pipe up to 4" in size,after 4" cleanout scan be a minumum of 4" so IMO he would be ok with the 4" cleanout unless he has to plug the line off with a blowup,then4" is a Nono

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In ky we have to have full size cleanouts in pipe up to 4" in size,after 4" cleanout scan be a minumum of 4" so IMO he would be ok with the 4" cleanout unless he has to plug the line off with a blowup,then4" is a Nono
Its not just the 4" cleanout. Theres no question about that. The question is 4" on the run. Sticking a full 4" on an 8" main.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Its not just the 4" cleanout. Theres no question about that. The question is 4" on the run. Sticking a full 4" on an 8" main.
I think you need to draw us two pictures, how it is now, and how you propose the new pipe to be.

Y'all are talking in circles right past each other!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I read all the previous posts. I understand that this is an 8” horizontal storm water line serving nothing but roof drains. (I am assuming this is not some sort of combination sanitary and storm combination system.)
Another poster quoted a code section that allows the 4” cleanout. Since the line will never see solids bigger than some leaves or feathers the 4” cleanout makes perfect sense. All the water entering is coming through a roof drain strainer. Just because it looks funny doesn’t mean it violates codes. I never felt like heel inlet ells and side inlet tees felt “right” but they really work great in some applications. Same way for “Sovent” system fittings. They look entirely wrong, but are allowed by many codes and have over 50 years in service proving the concept.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts