Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'mYourDamnTourGuide you say you have your own code, is there no code book, reason I ask after looking at your picture album alot of things I see in them, is wild, lets of santee's, med turn 90 here and there, most what I see would never be allowed here. I guess I'm lost in understanding how your code is set up. I see you use cpvc, do you like cpvc? You must since thats what I see.

I don't know, I'd hate to clean the lines with so many san-tees, fear cable could go the wrong way and hit a fixture or two.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Kentucky has their ownw plumbing code.

They have trap to vent distances, MDL on vents and drain, minimum house sewer/drain requirements and a minimum of 1, 3" vent through roof.

Vent through roof can be off-set at and angle of 45 degrees and no more (i.e. 90 degrees because 90 would be a flat vent which is not permissible.

Inspectors here really look for the base of the vertical stack to be washed.

CPVC is the cheaper way to go for homeowners.

I installed that for a guy that was building a new house and wanted the cheaper material, but good stuff. . .like not dirt cheap, but cheapER. .

CPVC doesn't sweat, but it expands and contrasts still.

Copper sweats and takes a lot longer to pipe in.

Rotted stem walls are baddddddddd.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here it is, it I did not see it with my own eyes, I would have never believed it.

Section 9. Change of Direction. A change in direction of a sewer shall be
made with long curves, forty-five (45) degree wyes, half wyes, quarter, sixth,
eighth or sixteenth bends or sanitary tees installed on their back or on their sides at an angle of not more than forty-five (45) degrees.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
It is our duty to teach that poor boy some good plumbing folks.

Just kiddin' TourGuide...welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Kentucky has their ownw plumbing code.

They have trap to vent distances, MDL on vents and drain, minimum house sewer/drain requirements and a minimum of 1, 3" vent through roof.

Vent through roof can be off-set at and angle of 45 degrees and no more (i.e. 90 degrees because 90 would be a flat vent which is not permissible.

Inspectors here really look for the base of the vertical stack to be washed.

CPVC is the cheaper way to go for homeowners.

I installed that for a guy that was building a new house and wanted the cheaper material, but good stuff. . .like not dirt cheap, but cheapER. .

CPVC doesn't sweat, but it expands and contrasts still.

Copper sweats and takes a lot longer to pipe in.

Rotted stem walls are baddddddddd.
CPVC DOES sweat, as does PEX...I know of several plumbers that pitched that as a feature to install it and were met with callbacks as soon as the muggy summer months came along.
Observe a plastic coke bottle in the summer.
Also, CPVC cuts noise, but not by much...CPVC cannot handle frost, it'll burst, only PEX can.
Given a choice between the two, I prefer CVPC only for the reason that I don't like the current types of fittings/connections for PEX.
Given the choice overall...I'd only use copper, but I'd spend alotta time at home if I bid everything copper only.
We have local code authorities to thank for that, as soon as something cheap is approved, your all but obligated to use it or lose your shirt.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep in mind, Oregon does allow a santee on it's back but only in venting, but never drainage.

Reactions: M5Plumb

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
I know my code pretty well :)

YOu can't lay a sanitary tee on its side in a branch, I mean it's common sense, it will clog eventually. . .With a San. Tee on a 45 and a street 45, it makes a 90 that "dumps" down into the drain.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
"Keep in mind, Oregon does allow a santee on it's back but only in venting, but never drainage."

Ron, I just read your Oregon Code and it's not different than the UPC in regards to tee's on their back.

Section 905.3 say's in the last sentence:

Vents less than six(6) inches(152mm) above the flood-level rim of the fixture shall be installed with approved drainage fittings, material, and grade to the drain.

It may be accepted by the inspector, but it's not code approved.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
In my area allthough we are under the UPC, we have some cities that allow tee's on their back for vents. Most Plumbers in this area just follow the most stringent accepted practice.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Code does not say it, but long time ago an inspector in Springfield sent a letter to the Chief State Plumbing Inspector asking if there was anything wrong with sitting a santee on it's back, horizontal drainage to vertical venting, he sent a letter in reply, that it was perfectly acceptable to allow this, and there would be no reason for it to effect the operations of the drains. So it has been allowed ever since.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Wow.

So one guy decided the code wasn't necessary so everyone ignores it instead of changing the code? Or am I missing something?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess, crazy as it may seem, that is the only non code rule that was allowed.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
A good plumbing system, on grade with properly square cut sawn pipes, with hangers every 4' (if above ground), will NOT clog unless a kid flushes something down the toilet, or shoves something down the lav.

And it only makes more sense (and is law) to use sanitary tees for individual connection of fixture to main. The code states that each fixture is "individually connected to the main", in one of my photos, we had to stack a urinal drain and a lav drain because we didn't have enough room in the chase for another 4"x2" san tee but the inspector didn't mind it believe it or not.

We individually vent every fixture here also.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts