Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Master Plumber/Mechanical
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a call to snake a kitchen sink clog. Well I get there and yep tis clogged. Double sink and both side have a trap going into the wall. I start looking at it and find that the trap go into a cross connection so I get a bucket and start taking off one of the traps. Water starts getting on my wrist and starts burning pretty fast which makes me jerk tipping the bucket and fully dislodging the trap which them spews everywhere to include the 8 in below the family jewls and starts burning there aswell. There was some liq plumber on the counter so I new another plumber had been there before me. So I asked is that all you put down the drain. No says the ho I used Thrift as well. A granular acid. Well I dropped trowel right there and my hair in my leg was gone. HO eyes are wide open now. Big ass red spot and sumbeach it hurts. Washed and wrapped in trowel back up. Clog gone bill paid, Advised HO to call and not use anymore chemicals and I leave. So here is my question.

Would you rather the HO use chemical or just call for service?

Still pizzed in KS:furious::censored::furious:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Would you rather the HO use chemical or just call for service?

Most, if not always, you do not have a choice in those matters. The customer is doing everything they can to avoid your services.

Lots of people believe in that "answer in a bottle" mentality. The disposal I replaced thursday? Had a bottle of Roto-Rooter "Clean-Pipe" or some really well-worded statement.

That bottle is watered down product, made entirely for marketing reasons and the sticker has paid for itself, ten times over.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Most, if not always, you do not have a choice in those matters. The customer is doing everything they can to avoid your services.
The sad truth. People like hiring a drain-cleaning professional about as much as they like getting a root canal!!! Many will only do it as a last resort. The few (very rare) customers that appreciate the service, call immediately when they have a problem, never complain about price, and/or agree to annual maintenance cleanings.....they should be treated like GOLD.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I always tell them its a waste of money that the chemicals don't work and are bad for the metal pipes. I also tell them that if chemicals are used before i snake it that there will be an extra charge due to the fact that the acid will weaken my cable and cause it to wearout sooner.

Plumber Jim

Yep....As to Smythers, get yourself looked at by the Doc!! I worked with a couple of folks that were cutting out a kit drain in C/S and had to lie in a small puddle for a short time, the HO said "No I didn't put anything in the pipes" BULL SHIRT!!! :censored: Ended up that person had to go light duty for three weeks due to chemical burns on their side.

Get it looked at man, you don't want that festering!!! :mad:

Pat

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I _ing charge extra for the acid.....50.00 or so, just to prove a point. Why should we risk injury to ourselves over and above what we already do?

In this era of "green", how do they get away with selling _ing drain acid?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Fellas ,, Start selling Bio Clean !! Man does it work and it won't hurt NOTHING !! My customers love it !!

www.statewidesupply.com

·
Muck me?
700 Posts
I know a guy that got some splashed in his eye. when the ho told him they didnt put anything down the drain

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
That's grounds for a ASS WHOOPIN' !!!

Reactions: Airgap

·
Banned
913 Posts
We charge much more when this happens. Just happened a week before Christmas and the HO was really sorry when our plumber got burned. She paid for it though. Our plumber went back to the shop to thoroughly clean up and change clothes.

Next time, ALWAYS ask the customer if they put any chemicals in the drain. Explain that you will find out one way or the other, but that you would rather be protected (gloves etc.) than have to file a claim against their insurance carrier. Said in a joking manner, they get the point.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Bio clean doesn't do a thing. A friend and I got a can of it and used a section of drain pipe i had removed from a job earlier in the day and we soaked it in water and bio clean and it never did a thing. The pipe was still as plugged up and nasty as before it went in the bio bath. zero affect.

Plumber Jim
Jim ,,, That is just wrong ! First thing is one day won't do SQUAT ! It is a maintenance "program " that anybody who has used it finds it fantastic !

second ,,, Dude why do you want to hang a fellow plumber OUT TO DRY on a public forum with an opinion you formed from 1 attempt ???

Come on Man :censored:

Cal

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to hang anyone out to dry. Sorry man. But we let that sit for 2 weeks. I know alot of guys believe in that stuff I just don't like to sell something I can't believe in. That's why I bought some from another guy who sells it, to try it myself. heck the way I saw it was " man if this stuff works its one more thing i can make a few bucks on" besides people always ask if there is something they can use to help and not hurt the pipes and i know that its safe on the pipes. I really wanted to see it work... Maybe someone else has used a different test to prove it works. I will get more and try again, I really would like it to work, Heck i would use it myself in my home.

Plumber Jim

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It really does work WELL ! You need water running through the pipe . I have been using it and selling it for 18 + months on ALL SORTS of drains . People who have had problem drains and smells for YEARS are just CRAZY about this stuff !!
Please give it a try ,,, sell it to your customers . You WILL be happy !!

Sorry to jump ya :) My B.

Cal

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Be glad a HO here cant get their hands on "Clobber"!
Here you need to show your license and sign a waver.
Never got it on me, but heard it nasty.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think the Bio stuff is GREAT for septic tanks and grease traps....but practically useless for drains. It only works when it can sit somewhere for a period of time...this doesn't happen in a drain pipe, it runs right out just like the water. And yes, I have experience with these for years.

Got to be honest ,,, I disagree and that is only based on my own experience in my 46 year old house and the HUGE customer approval ratings !

IMHO

Cal

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Well, this statement is a fact:
It only works when it can sit somewhere for a period of time.
So tell me, how is it supposed to "sit" in a pitched drain pipe, unless the pipe is completely blocked?:confused1: What prevents the stuff from running out to the septic or city sewer before it can start to ingest the pipe buildup?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It's activated by water . It is a "good" bacteria that grows and multiplies . FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND ,,, it attaches and grows . I.E. ,, You can't just wash away mold .

Ah well ,,, that's about the best I got ,,
Cal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts