Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
I used to be a handyman and I occasionally fixed computers, probably be doing a lot of that on the side. Used to do maintenance too, probably do that as my "career". One day I will return to being a maintenance guy of some sort when I semi-retire.

I love service plumbing. I love going to ~3-9 different houses a day and fixing stuff. Always something new, always putting a smile on people's faces and teaching them stuff.

I didn't intend to be a plumber, I fell into this line of work, but boy am I glad I did. :)

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I wanted to be a gynecologist , and did lots of practice in high school, but came to the conclusion, you seen 1 rotten puzzy you seen them all....
so plumbing was the next best thing..and still dealing with stinky holes.....

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Before opening the biz, I was in between several hard rocks and a rough scaly trees, I thought and thought was my career change was going to be since working as an employee plumber on construction was no longer viable. I didn't find anything that would require a lot of years in schools and start at the bottom of a ladder being broke forever. Until I saw Steve Lav' videos and found PZ and started reading the biz section. That's when I knew my career change.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Probably stay with the city. Working on the roads/water department.

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Also now that I woke up to the possibilities and know how to run a biz and the financials part of it I would look for something that makes money and lots of it. Right now I'll stick with my biz, slowly but surely I'll reach my goal.

·
Super Moderator
8,829 Posts
The only stress for me is when a DNA calls. Had one today, haven’t called back yet. Germaphobe. She had a chipmunk break into her house and I accidentally touched a countertop with rubber gloves that she hadn’t sanitized yet. The world almost came to the end! Thankfully for the rest of you I happened to have an extra glove in my pocket!🙄

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
1,227 Posts
I don’t have a lot of stress running my business.
I can see where a lot of ppl do, but I’m a one man army with a little bit of help so it’s pretty chill..
my accountant *****es at me every year, about a few things I should be doing dif but I say hey, I pay you to figure that stuff out..

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Taxes are stressful, Just this year with taxes
I don’t have a lot of stress running my business.
I can see where a lot of ppl do, but I’m a one man army with a little bit of help so it’s pretty chill..
my accountant *****es at me every year, about a few things I should be doing dif but I say hey, I pay you to figure that stuff out..

Those who don't have massive funds stashed away for taxes are in a world of sudden overnight bankruptcy. Especially if cash flow suddenly stops.

·
Super Moderator
8,829 Posts
Taxes are stressful, Just this year with taxes

Those who don't have massive funds stashed away for taxes are in a world of sudden overnight bankruptcy. Especially if cash flow suddenly stops.
About to get worse here. I’m not high dollar, so I’m not too worried. My wife worked in tax firms for over 15 years. Yes, things change, but she knows a schedule C well enough, and I know how to deduct.

Always good to have at least a year saved up.

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
189 Posts
I'd like to think I would have gone into finish carpentry, like custom cabinets and such. Built a few pieces of furniture in my time.

My dad was (still is, kinda) a sparky so that wasn't an option. 😆

Briefly considered HVAC and I might still pick that up at some point just to have more skills.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts