Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Instead of a brace, how about a knee replacement?
Got mine 3 years ago and it works better than the other one.
Not quite there yet. But the time is coming. The knee is fine if I’m driving or working. It’s when I’ve been sitting in one position for an hour or more. When I stand, it just turns to a painful rubber. Not bone on bone, it’s in the ligaments and tendons. I was hoping the time for my arm to heal would be enough for it to heal too. Apparently not, or I didn’t stay off it long enough. That’s my problem, I won’t stop working.

The first damage was after doing leg presses in the gym. They always gave us 15 minutes heads up before formation for our 10 mile run back to the barracks to stretch, not that time. Within just a few yards I felt it snap. I didn’t go to sickbay because I would’ve been dropped from the program I was in and be put on barrack support, and I wouldn’t pick up A school for another 3 months.

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Monday morning:

Gesture Thumb Finger Nail Foot

Yesterday morning:
Thumb Nail Gesture Finger Wrist

This is what happens when I sit still for a couple hours and try to stand. Knee turns to rubber and gives out. I was cutting the bark off a cane for a neighbor at the bonfire. Stood up to go inside the cabin for the night. Hand planted in the coals.
Got the brace today. Not too bad, better than expected.
My neighbor is a nurse, the one that owns the cabin that I open and winterize every year. She gave me some of that silver cream stuff. Seems to be working good. Talked with my master Monday, he has experience with severe burns. He said to go to the emergency room, sent pictures Monday to family who are in the healthcare industry. All said that if I get an infection, go to the ER, otherwise I’ll be fine. I’ve had burns like this before.
Probably 5 years ago my master flashed his right hand with a double tip torch while we were replacing a 2” VB for a irrigation system. This pic was about a week later.

Human body Jaw Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gesture

·
4th year apprentice
798 Posts
Dude, that sucks. You're falling apart from top to bottom. Wear a loose fitting nitrile glove until that heals, even for "non-dirty" work.

I'm not a safety Sally, well maybe I am in a sense, but I understand why Mike Rowe says safety 3rd, etc. I am always pointing out small safety issues at work. Some of the younger guys laugh, some take it to heart, but I know how easy it is for something to happen when you did nothing to cause it. No sense contributing to it.

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude, that sucks. You're falling apart from top to bottom. Wear a loose fitting nitrile glove until that heals, even for "non-dirty" work.

I'm not a safety Sally, well maybe I am in a sense, but I understand why Mike Rowe says safety 3rd, etc. I am always pointing out small safety issues at work. Some of the younger guys laugh, some take it to heart, but I know how easy it is for something to happen when you did nothing to cause it. No sense contributing to it.
Glove for sure doing any work. I have three “big” jobs going right now, but they’re postponed till next week. Yeah, right knee, broken and burned right arm, for some reason my left shoulder hurts if I sleep on that side….

A month ago my kid and were helping my master with a few things around his house. My kid did a flying jump off the utility trailer. My master and looked at each other, both shaking our heads.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
............ All said that if I get an infection, go to the ER, otherwise I’ll be fine.........
You really should have a professional look at that and properly disinfect it.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Put some aloe vera on it. I keep a plant in my backyard for burns. I’ve never had anything look like the burn you got though. Get well
You darn California Hippies and your natural medicine, go get some schmear from the pharmacy like every one else!

Just kidding, that's pretty cool. I never had the patience to learn about plants as much as I wish. I can barely identify common trees, never mind trying to sort out which plants I can shove in my wounds. I guess Aloe Vera's pretty obvious though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts