Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

I played helper for perfcthair4ever at the lab today

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Camilo 
#1 ·
I went over to Orlando today to tag along with my little bro on a high purity steam generator install in a research facility.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The steam generator takes the existing "dirty steam" and uses the heat with a shell and tube heat exchanger to convert the high purity water into high purity steam for lab sterilizers.

After we got done with the steam generator I watched Sam do some maintenance on one of the 150HP steam boilers in the penthouse. I know nothing about steam systems so it was fun bugging the crap out of him while he was trying to work. I also took a pic of some of the natural gas condensing Lochinvar boilers.

Attachments

#6 ·
They inject them with HIV and test vaccines in the basment and then do tests and autopsys on them. That's why there is a need for a sterilizer for the surgical tools.......

I tell ya what though, I've been there early in the morning and that place gives me the heebee jeebees. I'm waiting for a zombie attack every time I'm there. It's got these glass rooms with key card readers everywhere with robots and stuff. Reminds me of that resident evil movie. The rooms have motion sensors that turn the lights on and off as you go from room to room. Allot of the doors are automatic and make that "shhhhh" sound like in the video games too. Freaky :icon_eek:..........:2guns:

#12 ·
That air gap is the least of their concerns believe me. There are 150 PSI nitrogen lines all over the place with compression fittings. 4" corzan cpvc glued with orange 2-step glue with no primer. There are whole rooms where there is 3/4" cpvc in the interstitial space that is completely unstrapped that's feeding solenoid valves(the pipes whip around as if they were a living snake that's really pissed off). There are check valves installed backwards. OH yes, Florida plumbing contractors at there finest :rolleyes:

#14 ·
We sanded the joint area lightly to break up any glaze. Then globed lots of cement on the pipe and in the fitting. Then cleaned the dauber of and used it to wipe of the excess in the fitting and assembled with a 1/4 twist during mating. By doing it that way, the glue was allowed to pre-melt the joint area some before mating. We had heard that the contractor that built the place had trouble with joints blowing out so we went to the extreme.

You can't use primer with this stuff so you have to get meticulous with it. All cuts MUST be perfectly square. We also took a file to the pipe ends and rounded them off so as to not push the cement out of the joints upon insertion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.