Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Master Plumber/Mechanical
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the Master plumber with gas exam...That was no fun.

There was one question that really stumpped me and I would like to have ya all's imput.

Q. You have three natural draft furnaces that all connect to a masonary chimney by B-vent single wall. What is the max combined BTU that can go up the chimney? Height of chimney is 30 ft/

I don't remember the answers but they were something like this

A. 230,000
B. 127,000
c. 167,000
D. 325,000

I was confused because I wanted to know the chminey diameter or atleast know if this was going to be lined.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jeff

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IT SURE DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still curious what the opinion of others are.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Congrats on your teat.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Today was the Master plumber with gas exam...That was no fun.

There was one question that really stumpped me and I would like to have ya all's imput.

Q. You have three natural draft furnaces that all connect to a masonary chimney by B-vent single wall. What is the max combined BTU that can go up the chimney? Height of chimney is 30 ft/

I don't remember the answers but they were something like this

A. 230,000
B. 127,000
c. 167,000
D. 325,000

I was confused because I wanted to know the chminey diameter or atleast know if this was going to be lined.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jeff
First of all, I am so proud of you! I took the last master's test in Colorado that did it on paper and had to wait 6 weeks to find out if we passed. That sucked. I am glad you found out immediately.

As for your question? Tell us first which code this was under?

I don't remember a restriction on masonry chimneys so I would be wanting more details too. That puzzles me. Maybe I just missed something like you did.

Again, proud of ya bro. Welcome.

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry,

Code is ICC 2006

International fuel gas code 2006

International plumbing code 2006

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
You should be very proud of yourself. It is no small feat. Congrats man:thumbsup:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys.

Went in to the codes office and they were shocked that I passed on my first try. They said that in all the years they could only remember maybe 4 or 5 other guys that did it on the first try.

Again THANKS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts