Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Plumber
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Job is completed approximately 3 month ago. Customer called with complaints about shower head and valve trim discoloration. I do not have pictures of original service call but I did find out that the Moen shower head Moen M-core valve faceplate look like they have been sprinkled with the acid. The chrome plating was tarnished. First thing I assumed was some service done to the water heater. The customer was extremely defensive denying any job to be done on plumbing but I did notice the renovation contractor in the house.
I did replace the shower head and the valve faceplate and this is what it looks like after one month
I am asking for collective wisdom in troubleshooting this please. Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Liquid Fluid
Liquid Drinkware Fluid Barware Gas
Shoe Manhole cover Manhole Drain Font

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Very well could be bad batches of chrome. Have you checked with Moen? Not unusual if they are made overseas and shipped to Moen.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
Plumber
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering the valve and shower head/arm are from different batches and the drain grate is not Moen it is highly unlikely in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Maybe, but worth the follow up. That doesn't really look like an acid etch on the 1/2 nps tube. Looks like pitting. Ah I see it is "bath fitter" branded cover. Cheap crap.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I would disagree on the quality of it but this is not the topic of the thread;)
It is the topic of the thread, that bath fitter stuff is cheap crap. That's why it's got rust showing through. You can probably replace the drain grate with a stainless one off an oatey/sioux chief drain.

As for the other pieces, contact Moen or who ever the supplier/manufacturer is.

Did you get this stuff from a supply house? If so they should be willing to help.

Take a cold and a hot water samples and test the PH.

Any unusual bath products/soaps in the shower/bathroom?

·
Registered
Plumber
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no problem to order replacement parts.
I am just confused how in the universe one of two bathrooms in the same house developed this kind of damage to the chrome.
To stress it out both bathrooms has the identical valve, 18" shower arm and "satellite dish" rainshower head, as I call it, all Moen. Only upstairs bathroom did show RUST on the shower head and valve faceplate. I did mutilate the shower head to confirm nothing is rusting inside. Apparently there is an inner plastic shell that separates the water and the stainless finish completely.
In my opinion quality of any of the parts is not an issue here.

·
Registered
Plumber
26 Posts
How’s the water quality?
What are they using to clean their shower?
Could be cleaning product or some pretty nasty city water, but my money is on cleaning product

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Cheap Moen crap quality is not the issue? It very much is the issue. Swap that Moen crap out (just for a discussion) with a WaterWorks shower head and let's see if the quality COULD be the issue. Your Moen head might weigh a few ounces, this Water Works head a few lbs (most of weight is chrome).

The guys here are trying to help, no need to slap them. I've dealt with all quality types and I rank Moen way down there with Price Phister, and any other cheap crap sold at the big box stores.
Jewellery Circle Ceiling fixture Fashion accessory Metal

Jewellery Circle Ceiling fixture Fashion accessory Metal

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Sorry, grams or kilograms. I see a Canadian flag. I've installed a few Water works fixtures, they are just heavy, layers and layers of chrome. No way would pitting ever show up on that deep of chrome, just a great discussion example of why quality could be the issue. Another photo for everybody's enjoyment.

WaterWorks does not play around with skimpy layers of chrome.

Body jewelry Silver Jewellery Nickel Metal

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
...............WaterWorks does not play around with skimpy layers of chrome.

View attachment 131337
I've worked on and installed A LOT of waterworks stuff. I have a few complaints in design from time to time but otherwise I agree. They don't hesitate to use good brass, and lots of it. Need a part in your mixer that simply can't corrode? Ceramic coated stainless steel leaf spring.

Just don't be surprised when an aerator costs over 300$USD.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I've worked on and installed A LOT of waterworks stuff. I have a few complaints in design from time to time but otherwise I agree. They don't hesitate to use good brass, and lots of it. Need a part in your mixer that simply can't corrode? Ceramic coated stainless steel leaf spring.

Just don't be surprised when an aerator costs over 300$USD.

Agree on design issues! Shower handle so heavy the weight was pulling the valve on and the shower running on its own. Some casting issues here and there, just due to the amount of brass used.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Agree on design issues! Shower handle so heavy the weight was pulling the valve on and the shower running on its own. Some casting issues here and there, just due to the amount of brass used.
Yup on the casting issues. Pulled the trim plate off a 2000$ mixer the other day and it had quite the void on the back. Still, it was a 7" round, 1/2" thick, chunk of brass that must have weighed a couple pounds.

I hate how those mixer bodies dump a glass of water in the wall when you take the face off

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Job is completed approximately 3 month ago. Customer called with complaints about shower head and valve trim discoloration. I do not have pictures of original service call but I did find out that the Moen shower head Moen M-core valve faceplate look like they have been sprinkled with the acid. The chrome plating was tarnished. First thing I assumed was some service done to the water heater. The customer was extremely defensive denying any job to be done on plumbing but I did notice the renovation contractor in the house.
I did replace the shower head and the valve faceplate and this is what it looks like after one month
I am asking for collective wisdom in troubleshooting this please. View attachment 131242 View attachment 131243 View attachment 131244

Looking closer at the photos on a big screen, looks like cheap thin crappy Moen chrome to me. That's all the help I have.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Yup on the casting issues. Pulled the trim plate off a 2000$ mixer the other day and it had quite the void on the back. Still, it was a 7" round, 1/2" thick, chunk of brass that must have weighed a couple pounds.

I hate how those mixer bodies dump a glass of water in the wall when you take the face off

Customer wanted a new kitchen faucet recommendation so I provided a few suggestions in the $800-$1200 range. He didn't like any of them. I threw out the WaterWorks name, as they have a retail store in Atlanta and he chose a $3800 faucet there. Heavy as heck. No chrome pitting there and it's several years old now.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Customer wanted a new kitchen faucet recommendation so I provided a few suggestions in the $800-$1200 range. He didn't like any of them. I threw out the WaterWorks name, as they have a retail store in Atlanta and he chose a $3800 faucet there. Heavy as heck. No chrome pitting there and it's several years old now.
I like Ginger/NewportBrass/Brasstech. Most WaterWorks stuff is made by Nicolazzi or Brasstech.

When high end customers want my opinion on a two handle kitchen faucet I suggest Newport Brass. For single handle I suggest KWC but warn them to stick with the swiss made/designed stuff. The company that owns Franke bought out KWC and some of the stuff got weird.

·
Super Moderator
9,301 Posts
Rich customer or not always a moen. Why any other brands there's no parts really. No wants to pay me to take it apart, take pics, pay me to research, order the parts and go back to install it while the faucet is leaking and ruining the counter top or whatever.

If they'd pay I would make a tone of money!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Rich customer or not always a moen. Why any other brands there's no parts really. No wants to pay me to take it apart, take pics, pay me to research, order the parts and go back to install it while the faucet is leaking and ruining the counter top or whatever.

If they'd pay I would make a tone of money!
Same here,150.00 bucks for a high end faucet in my area lolololo

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I like Ginger/NewportBrass/Brasstech. Most WaterWorks stuff is made by Nicolazzi or Brasstech.

When high end customers want my opinion on a two handle kitchen faucet I suggest Newport Brass. For single handle I suggest KWC but warn them to stick with the swiss made/designed stuff. The company that owns Franke bought out KWC and some of the stuff got weird.

KWC is another excellent brand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts