Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having to drill through a floor joist, but how else can you keep 10" from bottom of fixture to dip of trap seal on a tub with rough cut 2"x10" floor joist? lol

Anyone else run into this type of problem before, or are you guys allowed a further distance than 10" to swing the trap assembly?

·
Registered
378 Posts
IPC allows a running trap serving the tub/shower.I think the trap has to be with-in 36",I'm not sure ,it's 4:30 am and I'm not looking it up.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
We get a max of 24" for standpipes here also, except for laundries.

The rule HERE for drilling joists is NO more than 1/3 the width of the joist with at least 2" of material above & below the hole.

Anything else and you consult the builder, they can box (frame) for exceptions where necessary.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Am I the only one who does not understand what the OP is asking? I am completely lost as to what he is talking about.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Am I the only one who does not understand what the OP is asking? I am completely lost as to what he is talking about.
I don't understand it myself.

·
Plumbing Contractor
972 Posts
Hate to say it: But it flat out says general contractor in every post he post. He might be a license plumber? I'm not saying he is or not a license Plumbing contractor. Just pointing out what I have notice

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Keep in mind, that one can be a contractor and be a plumber also, when I was in business I had to hold a plumbing contractors license which can be classified as a GC license depending on what you wanted to do, and how much insurance you needed to be one. I was never a GC, did not want that category. as will as an individual license.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
As a Plumbing Contractor, we are asked to bid work that is for the most part plumbing (duh), but in California, in order to subcontract out some of the work to other trades, it's required we have a General Contractors licence.
The main reason for this requirement is that the state wants a contractor to be aware of Contractor law, IE: Liens, pre-liens, responsibilities, etc. and have a general understanding of each trade.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hate to say it: But it flat out says general contractor in every post he post. He might be a license plumber? I'm not saying he is or not a license Plumbing contractor. Just pointing out what I have notice
What are you talking about? I hold a master plumber's license in KY . . and you're only allowed 10" from the bottom of the fixture to the dip in the trap seal.

Ky doesn't go by UPC, IPC, or anything like that. . . .When some stuff may be similar, everything else is very different.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
What are you talking about? I hold a master plumber's license in KY . . and you're only allowed 10" from the bottom of the fixture to the dip in the trap seal.

Ky doesn't go by UPC, IPC, or anything like that. . . .When some stuff may be similar, everything else is very different.
And I thought My state (MA) was different.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts