Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday was a pretty big day for me compared to daily average for total revenue. I won't give the numbers here but it was good.

My first stop was to replace a sewage ejector and check valve, second stop was a 50 gal ng water heater that was relocated about 6' away (on the other side of the furnace) w/ thermal expansion tank and a new prv (someone had cut the old one out at some point so there was none at the time), and the third stop was a return trip after the ordered parts arrived to rebuild an old Sterling 2 handle shower valve and also to rebuild a Delta 2 handle lav faucet.

It was a long day for me. As I was driving home I was replaying the day in my mind when all of a sudden like a lightening strike I realized I never installed an isolation valve for the new water heater? Holy Yikes! How could I possibly not do that? Well I called the people today and very sheepishly had to explain how their state certified master plumber forgot to ... 'er, um, ... do something, ... and see if Monday morning was ok to come take care of it. It won't take long but now my mistake is costing me money in the form of time which could be spent earning revenue elsewhere.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Been there, done that. Sometimes we get so busy we forget the simple things. You are not alone. Best thing to do is to be slow and thorough.

Even with building I tell my men that a 1 hour mistake costs 4 hours.
1 hour to undo mistake
1 hour to replace the right way
2 hours they could had been doing something else
Total time lost for a 1 hour mistake, 4 hours.

Always better and cheaper to do it right the first time

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't cutting any corners. I just flat out forgot it somehow. Just as if I'd never installed a water heater before and didn't know it needed to be done.

·
Dream Team Founder
315 Posts
it only happens when you have a great day and bring in some good cash, and then your replaying it in your head at night thinking "man i did a sweet job...... OH CRAP I FORGOT THAT VALVE , WHAT THE *#**!" ive done the same thing man, dont feel bad, and im sure you made enough cash to cover it.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
ah, I do that every know and then. No biggie. If it's something small like that it's just a little reminder to slow down a little bit and focus. When I am in that mode of ass kicking, I make myself stop....and outloud I say stop and think. Recently I noticed a few clients watching me do this and 2 of them were telling me something along the lines of "that sounds like an experienced man talking". Since I started doing that....it's less trips to the truck and supply houses. Stop and think....an extra 10 seconds isn't going to cost you anything. It works for me....

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Thas ok, don't feel bad, I had 7 calls to run on friday, the second was to rebuild a sloan valve, I did, everythign was great, flushed it, done! no problem, left, on to the next call, after that call, as I was about to call my next customer, slaon valve customer calls, the urinal is running, and won't turn off, that is impossible!!

Well, I get there, and find out that I didn't raise the water preassure enough to kick the diaphram off. didn't do it to me.....but sure, when the customer went in there and tried it, it stuck!!

I usually walk my custoemrs through everything I did and show them everything works, but he was in an office meeting..... any other time, everything would have worked great!

I always run back throught the job 5 times before I leave to make sure all is well!

·
Registered
567 Posts
WCP, I agree with the 5X process, nothing wrong with checking it over and over again and showing the customer over and over again, oh and did I say over again?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts