Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted awhile back about my shower at my house smelling like a big box off buttholes when I ran the hot water. First I thought that it was the heater but none of my other faucets smelled. Then I thought it was the shower wand hose. Rubber inside with stainless tubing around it. Again this was not it...... We have a Hydro Spa tub in our bathroom that we never use. The wife wanted to take a bath, so I flipped the breaker on and started the tub. All kinds of gunk came out of the jets, A BUNCH OF IT. And it smell horrible, this is where the smell was coming from when the hot water is run. Its real strong for a minute then it goes away. Anyhow I flushed the jets multiple times, ran a bunch of Clorox through it until it didn't blow any debris out.
The only thing I know to do is bump the pump after each shower use so the water will not hold in the jets.
Any other suggestions?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Whirlpool tubs should be maintained once a month by cycling them with bleach to kill any bacteria that may be growing in the harness. My wife cleans ours weekly.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know I figured that was what was needed. First time to deal with one.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
They are known for causing infections primarily in women. Bleach will definately do the trick. However, I think it is jacuzzi that makes a flush powder kit also. I fix tubs for lasco. Occaisionally we will get a call for that same thing, it is indeed a funky smell.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am flushing it right now. I filled it half way up and poured bleah in it. Let it sit for about ten mins until the jets stopped sucking. Then run the jets. Alternating every 20 mins or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts