Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help with any information? I am currently dealing with a residential home where the pipes are humming throughout the house. the humming or vibrating is coming mainly from around the water heater but you can pretty much hear it in the whole house.

the pipes will humm when the water is or isnt in use. out of the blue it will start doing it. i have replaced the nipples at the water heater thinking the little balls in the nipples were causing the problem. this did not fix it. The water pressure is about 80 PSI and there is a regulator there. When i first encountered the problem last week there was an older regulator and i replaced it thinking it had gone bad but the problem persisted. This house4 is also located in southern california.

i would really apreciate any help or advice regarding this matter.

thank you very much

max

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Hi, the members here will be more than happy to assist you, but they like to know a little something about whom they are talking to first. Please tell us a bit about your self and your history here:

http://www.plumbingzone.com/f3/

Once we get to know you there may be some people here who have the answer you seek.

Thanks!

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
.... This house4 is also located in southern california.

i would really apreciate any help or advice regarding this matter.thank you very much max
That's the problem right there. Move the _ing house out of Southern California (or southern california, whichever you live in) and no more problem.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Bill, a first year could figure that out.

Besides, its too cold to play outside and the phone hasn't rung...yet.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
can anyone help with any information? I am currently dealing with a residential home where the pipes are humming throughout the house. the humming or vibrating is coming mainly from around the water heater but you can pretty much hear it in the whole house.

the pipes will humm when the water is or isnt in use. out of the blue it will start doing it. i have replaced the nipples at the water heater thinking the little balls in the nipples were causing the problem. this did not fix it. The water pressure is about 80 PSI and there is a regulator there. When i first encountered the problem last week there was an older regulator and i replaced it thinking it had gone bad but the problem persisted. This house4 is also located in southern california.

i would really apreciate any help or advice regarding this matter.

thank you very much

max
You know for a fact there is no timed recirc on the lines?

·
Registered
143 Posts
We need more info, I would look into cranking the pressure down to 55 psi to start, also how old is the house, how long has it been a problem, if there is no circ pump look to the fill valves in the toilets and check to see that they are not leaking by as this could be an issue especially with the water pressure you claim.

You say that it makes the noise even when there is no water running? have you confirmed this by turning the water off at the meter?

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
maybe, but that would be a huge 'seep' if you could hear it through the whole house......then again with copper that could ring true, pex probably would be quite ........

1 - 20 of 36 Posts